The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Insanity514
On the Cauis website it says they interview all candidates for medicine? Is that true?

http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/medicine

As far as logistics allow, we like to make our decision for all candidates based on as much information as possible and therefore we currently offer interviews to all applicants.

Pretty much. If your AS modules show you are likely to meet the A*AA offer, you'll get interviewed. If they suddenly get flooded with applicants, the bar will be raised with some more rejections pre-interview.
Original post by crimlex
Yeah, no arguments there, which is why I'm spending time revising my GCSEs this time around :smile:

re-applying to camb~? which college? good luck!! wish i could have re-applied lol
Reply 22
Original post by englishman129
re-applying to camb~? which college? good luck!! wish i could have re-applied lol

I am indeed. thanx! One year here and there isn't that much in the great scheme of things, why didn't you reapply?

It will be Gonville and Caius for me this time around :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by crimlex
I am indeed. thanx! One year here and there isn't that much in the great scheme of things, why didn't you reapply?

Good luck with the re-application. I was in your shoes last year, having been rejected first time around. Fast forward a year and a bit and hopefully i'll be starting at Cambridge in a couple of weeks :smile:
Original post by crimlex

Cuz it was just TOOOO RISKY to turn down an Imperial offer lol :'(. Would have loved too, seriously. Wish I got one more shot at this.. I could have done better. But I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Hope you get in this yr :smile:

ps, i see ure applying for neuroscience at UCL :smile: - i got in last yr as my back up for med.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by SabreT
Good luck with the re-application. I was in your shoes last year, having been rejected first time around. Fast forward a year and a bit and hopefully i'll be starting at Cambridge in a couple of weeks :smile:

Thanks :smile: Lets hope I'll be able to say the same thing to somebody else in about a years time! And good luck with your first year at Cam

Cuz it was just TOOOO RISKY to turn down an Imperial offer lol :'(. Would have loved too, seriously. Wish I got one more shot at this.. I could have done better. But I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Hope you get in this yr :smile:

ps, i see ure applying for neuroscience at UCL :smile: - i got in last yr as my back up for med.

Thanks :smile: Yeah, neuroscience seemed like a good backup to Cam, UCL and Imperial seeing as I'm not doing the UKCAT and am planning on doing a PhD in neuroscience anyways. Good luck with your year at Imperial!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by crimlex
Very interesting thread, thought I'd contribute.

Yu can use this however you want, but this was the feedback I received from the St John's tutor after being rejected pre-interview because of my BMAT score (6.8, 4.9, 3A)

"The average successful student in Medicine last year had results in the top 20% of section 1 of the BMAT and in the top 10% in section 2 of the BMAT.

The assessors’ selection process looks for high performance in both sections of the BMAT, realistically the top 25%-30% of both sections are invited to interview."

That was some very useful information that you have given me there. Thanks and compliments on your S1. I'm sure you will do better on the S2 this time around.

Original post by Insanity514
On the Cauis website it says they interview all candidates for medicine? Is that true?

http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/medicine

As far as logistics allow, we like to make our decision for all candidates based on as much information as possible and therefore we currently offer interviews to all applicants.

I guess I was wrong, I thought they filtered off students with the BMAT. In that case like SabreT said they will interview any realistic applicant hence probably closer to 90% I believe. There's always a few with unrealistic expectations that apply:redface:

Original post by SabreT
Pretty much. If your AS modules show you are likely to meet the A*AA offer, you'll get interviewed. If they suddenly get flooded with applicants, the bar will be raised with some more rejections pre-interview.

Thanks, I didn't know that they didn't filter off candidates with BMAT. I've fixed it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jokosor

Churchill: Successful applicants had 96% at AS and 7.2, 7.0 and 3.8 for the BMAT. A*
grade usually required in chemistry since it's a good indicator of future achievements.

WTF?!?! That's an insane average BMAT score for a college.

Also, I think your grade estimations are slightly off. I think an A tends to be over 6, and a B over 5 or so, but it can change a bit each year.
Original post by jokosor

I guess I was wrong, I thought they filtered off students with the BMAT. In that case like SabreT said they will interview any realistic applicant hence probably closer to 90% I believe. There's always a few with unrealistic expectations that apply:redface:

Caius try to interview almost everyone. They do not filter using BMAT.
Reply 29
Original post by Chief Wiggum
WTF?!?! That's an insane average BMAT score for a college.

Also, I think your grade estimations are slightly off. I think an A tends to be over 6, and a B over 5 or so, but it can change a bit each year.

I know and I was like :confused:. I've been trying to pester every single college so eventually the lady told me. That's exactly what she told me, so unless she was annoyed at me it should be correct.:biggrin:

Did you have a look at the graphs? the results one? I think it coincides with my estimation. Could you look at them so at least I'll be sure.

Last edit lol, perhaps it's better if I email Emmanuel tomorrow and ask them what percentage is an A and the equivalent in numbers for last year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jokosor
I know and I was like :confused:. I've been trying to pester every single college so eventually the lady told me. That's exactly what she told me, so unless she was annoyed at me it should be correct.:biggrin:

Did you have a look at the graphs? the results one? I think it coincides with my estimation. Could you look at them so at least I'll be sure.

Last edit lol, perhaps it's better if I email Emmanuel tomorrow and ask them what percentage is an A and the equivalent in numbers for last year.

Well when I applied, I heard it was over 6.0 for an A, and something like over 5.2 for a B. It can probably change a bit each year though. :smile:

Your estimations of A = 7+, and B=6.5+ are VERY high. I'm pretty certain they wouldn't be as high as that, especially with some colleges wanting BB/AB/BA. Getting over 6.5 in both sections 1 and 2 is actually pretty rare I'd say.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Well when I applied, I heard it was over 6.0 for an A, and something like over 5.2 for a B. It can probably change a bit each year though. :smile:

Your estimations of A = 7+, and B=6.5+ are VERY high. I'm pretty certain they wouldn't be as high as that, especially with some colleges wanting BB/AB/BA. Getting over 6.5 in both sections 1 and 2 is actually pretty rare I'd say.

Yes you are right, apparently 6.2 was an A last year. I better correct that, thanks
Reply 32
Magdelene won't interview applicants without AA in BMAT and 93% average UMS in 3 most relevant subjects.

DoS at St Johns told me that they interview everyone with 85% average and BB in BMAT today at the open day, 90 apply, 70 get interviewed so can't be as high as top 20% for section 1 and 10% for section 2.
Reply 33
Original post by Ganky
Magdelene won't interview applicants without AA in BMAT and 93% average UMS in 3 most relevant subjects.

DoS at St Johns told me that they interview everyone with 85% average and BB in BMAT today at the open day, 90 apply, 70 get interviewed so can't be as high as top 20% for section 1 and 10% for section 2.

No I agree with you, the same year that the DoS told me that there was another person with a BMAT worse than mine but with a 5.2 in S2 who was interviewed. I guess there really is no limit as they look at all aspects of the application. Although you should note that the 20/10 % was the average for the people who are admitted to the college, not granted an interview.
Reply 34
Original post by Ganky

If true, this sounds particularly harsh. Applicants should tread carefully!
Original post by Ganky

Lol I know several people with firsts in Part 1A who'd have been rejected without interview had they applied to Magdalene. Are you absolutely sure you're right?
Reply 36
Lol I know several people with firsts in Part 1A who'd have been rejected without interview had they applied to Magdalene. Are you absolutely sure you're right?

"Thank you for your email. We would usually interview applicants who
achieved an average of 93% or above in their three most relevant
subjects as long as they then scored A, A, in the first two sections of
the BMAT. We may also choose to interview some people who score lower
than this at our discretion."
Reply 37
Original post by Ganky

Which translates to: 'People with AA and 93% UMS are guaranteed an interview. Since it would be unrealistic to expect every applicant to achieve this, we will also, where possible, interview applicants with results close to our ideal standards'
Reply 38
Original post by Ganky

OK I've updated the St Johns entry. Thanks

Original post by Ganky

Nice and succinct, I've included it now, thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, applied to Downing and got an interview.

I can PM you stuff if you want..

Hi there englishman129

Would you be kind enough to email this stuff to me to please?

Hope you don't mind me asking...

Thank you so much :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending