The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nightmare91
Paul Samuelson, a great economist who basically introduced mathematics into economics once said:

"... the problems of economic theory- such as the incidence of taxation, the effects of devaluation- are by their nature quantitative questions whose answers depend upon the superposition of many different pieces of quantitative and qualitative information. When we tackle them by words, we are solving the same equations as when we write up the equations. [...] no sensible person who had at his command both the techniques of literary argumentation and mathematical manipulation would tackle by words alone a problem... The convenience of mathematical symbolism for handling certain deductive interferences is, I think, indisputable."

I love that quote :u:

Hmm, it's a shame that when you do reduce an economic problem to mathematics, you often lose much (perhaps all) of the real-life relevancy. The solution yielded tends to only apply to a very narrow and idealised situation.
Original post by alex_hk90
Hmm, it's a shame that when you do reduce an economic problem to mathematics, you often lose much (perhaps all) of the real-life relevancy. The solution yielded tends to only apply to a very narrow and idealised situation.

That is true. But aren't all economic problems, whether reduced to mathematics or written in words, quite idealistic; only focused on one exceptional situation with one solution? I share Paul Samuelson's opinion but of course, there has to be a mix in some way. If you only describe economic problems in mathematical equations you will only get one solution. As we all perhaps know, economic problems don't always only have one answer. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
That is true. But aren't all economic problems, whether reduced to mathematics or written in words, quite idealistic; only focused on one exceptional situation with one solution? I share Paul Samuelson's opinion but of course, there has to be a mix in some way. If you only describe economic problems in mathematical equations you will only get one solution. As we all perhaps know, economic problems don't always only have one answer. :smile:

Of course most problems are quite idealistic, but if you focus on the maths you risk neglecting the possible complications of the true situation. As for having a single solution, this isn't actually true even if you do only use equations - there are plenty of ways of generating models with multiple solutions / equilibria.
Quantitative means that it is mathematical and not qualitative which means rather essay-based. Yea maths is the language of economics today. It used to be different 100 years ago that's why it was considered an art back then. Today it is a science.

If you think you can't handle the maths, go for A&F. Because economics is maths. And a bad 2:1 or 2:2 doesn't look as good as a 1st in A&F. But if you enjoy economics more, then go for that.

I am not saying that I am bad at maths. I got an A at GCSE and got 80% at AS and will probably get A/B at A2. I am not bad but not great at Maths. How much (%) of eco is maths? Also will the level of maths be greater than A Level or there is only an extensive use of maths?

It is just I am getting mixed messages about what to do. I want to do accounting so thought of doing accounts and finance which will give me exemptions. However my A2 eco teacher who was my AS accounts teacher told me that I should do eco instead. He said that I can get in with almost any degree and that the big 4 prefer alternatives such as chemistry
Anyone applying to UCL without a language GCSE?[
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2945
Original post by Mousebudden

Not sure, but I'm pretty sure there isn't any one in here who is partially blind so calm down with the font sizes.
Reply 2946
is having no A*'s at GCSE bad, even though you are predicted 4 A*s at A-level?

Whats up with the huge writing. Want attention?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2948
Original post by jacky23
is having no A*'s at GCSE bad, even though you are predicted 4 A*s at A-level?

It's bad, but as long as you have strong AS grades to back up the predictions it could be ok.
Original post by alex_hk90
Of course most problems are quite idealistic, but if you focus on the maths you risk neglecting the possible complications of the true situation. As for having a single solution, this isn't actually true even if you do only use equations - there are plenty of ways of generating models with multiple solutions / equilibria.

Not going to argue with a Cambridge graduate :tongue:

Original post by ...mo...
I am not saying that I am bad at maths. I got an A at GCSE and got 80% at AS and will probably get A/B at A2. I am not bad but not great at Maths. How much (%) of eco is maths? Also will the level of maths be greater than A Level or there is only an extensive use of maths?

It is just I am getting mixed messages about what to do. I want to do accounting so thought of doing accounts and finance which will give me exemptions. However my A2 eco teacher who was my AS accounts teacher told me that I should do eco instead. He said that I can get in with almost any degree and that the big 4 prefer alternatives such as chemistry

You can't say how much % of econ is maths because every university is different. LSE's course for instance is very mathematical. The maths itself is much more advanced than A Level Maths and Further Maths. But if you work hard, I am sure you'll be able to cope with it. It really comes down to whether you think you want to study a subject with loads of maths or not.

If you really want to go into A&F after uni, it'd be sensible to study A&F. Don't go for Econ because your teacher said so... What unis are you looking at?
Reply 2950
Original post by zxh800
It's bad, but as long as you have strong AS grades to back up the predictions it could be ok.

I have 4 A's all of which were near/around 90%
You can't say how much % of econ is maths because every university is different. LSE's course for instance is very mathematical. The maths itself is much more advanced than A Level Maths and Further Maths. But if you work hard, I am sure you'll be able to cope with it. It really comes down to whether you think you want to study a subject with loads of maths or not.

If you really want to go into A&F after uni, it'd be sensible to study A&F. Don't go for Econ because your teacher said so... What unis are you looking at?

The reason is that I am not sure if I want to do accounting or not. I read in another thread that accounting firms prefer not accounting graduates!!!

Would choosing BA economics be better than Bsc economics since it is less maths based. However are BA not taken seriously compared to Bsc.

As for uni's I initially thought of doing accounts and finance at Warick,Birmingham,loughborough and nottingham perhaps

For some of them I am doing it for the reputation :s-smilie: I am not sure wether to do accounts at a top uni or eco at a middle uni.
Where can I go with A*AAAABBBBCCCC at GCSE and A*AA prediction in Acounts,maths and eco???
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2952
Original post by jacky23

That should put in you in good stead and show that you've stepped up from your GCSE performance to a whole new level. Although, this is dependant on the subjects you've taken as well. If they're all solid traditional subjects then that'll definitely show you've turned a corner. Where do you plan on applying?
Reply 2953
Original post by zxh800
That should put in you in good stead and show that you've stepped up from your GCSE performance to a whole new level. Although, this is dependant on the subjects you've taken as well. If they're all solid traditional subjects then that'll definitely show you've turned a corner. Where do you plan on applying?

The subjects where maths, economics, physics and electronics. Not quite sure electronics falls into the traditional subject area though :/

and I haven't really made my mind up fully yet.
Hi does anyone kno whether doing a gold D of E would enhance your economics application and by how much? I get the impression some unis don't care about it too much.

Also- would it help if you reapply after taking a gap year?

Original post by jacky23

nice! yes I'd say 3 of your 4 subjects are v.good A levels for A levels, i.e. maths/eco/physics
Electronics does add variety but I would have chosen further/hist (as they are more related)..
But then again I'm not even doing an economics A level :colondollar:
Reply 2956
Original post by Tomatochuckers
nice! yes I'd say 3 of your 4 subjects are v.good A levels for A levels, i.e. maths/eco/physics
Electronics does add variety but I would have chosen further/hist (as they are more related)..
But then again I'm not even doing an economics A level :colondollar:

Yea It's annoying really because when I chose my A-levels, all what it said was required for an economics degree was a level maths (it still does), so I thought Id choose electronics as a 4th subject for something a bit different.

However, what annoys me is when the majority of Uni's who say they prefer people with FM don't even put it on their website! (with the exception of LSE).
Original post by jacky23
Yea It's annoying really because when I chose my A-levels, all what it said was required for an economics degree was a level maths (it still does), so I thought Id choose electronics as a 4th subject for something a bit different.

However, what annoys me is when the majority of Uni's who say they prefer people with FM don't even put it on their website! (with the exception of LSE).

I'm surprised you chose electronics though lol I heard any DT subject is pretty difficult and very time consuming lol!

Its like GCSE grade requirements- they always say the minimum

But you gave yourself a chance with ur AS grades and u got both maths and econ.
I didnt even have econ so need to do the whole further maths A level as I'd have no chance otherwise
Btw, to boost ur chances u might want to think about doing an AS FM if u got the time.
Reply 2958

LOL we are not blind! I did French and German GCSE so i'm alright, but I wish I had picked a soft subject like ICT so I could have got another A* in the bag
Reply 2959
Predicted AABB with not very good GCSE's - A*AAAAAABBCC
Is it even worth applying to Bristol/Nottingham?

Latest

Trending

Trending