The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
It wasn't your fault, it's been a bit funny for a few days.

I'd quite like to use my CS skills to create a version that doesn't rely on Google Docs (the current version has a lot of faults). Maybe I shall sometime...

Yeah but its based on google docs for covienience purposes, nobody needs to download and re-upload etc. I suppose what would be better is maybe a google form? (I think this exists cant quite remember) to input data to a read-only spreadsheet (with maybe a couple of people having editting powers incase everything goes tits up. Sounds like too much of a ball-ache to me though :tongue:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Okay, the spreadsheet's properly wonky - it's listing people under the wrong subjects.

Wow! Were you at the open day on July 7th? Just because if you were, I met you. We may end up being future course- and college-mates! Although once you count in pooling, the chance is around 2.4%. Still, this is exciting! At least, it is if you're as sad as me. :redface:

Alas, we have never met. I went to the open day yesterday and loved it there. :redface: In July the 7th I was at "the other place" for their open day :biggrin:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Okay, the spreadsheet's properly wonky - it's listing people under the wrong subjects.
Bum.
Original post by Tobedotty
Yeah but its based on google docs for covienience purposes, nobody needs to download and re-upload etc. I suppose what would be better is maybe a google form? (I think this exists cant quite remember) to input data to a read-only spreadsheet (with maybe a couple of people having editting powers incase everything goes tits up. Sounds like too much of a ball-ache to me though :tongue:
That's quite easy to do. The disadvantage is that once people have submitted their "row" then it can't be easily edited afterwards (e.g. to show whether somebody got an offer)
That's quite easy to do. The disadvantage is that once people have submitted their "row" then it can't be easily edited afterwards (e.g. to show whether somebody got an offer)

Google forms would work, yes. About the time offers would come in, we could export the results to a spreadsheet and have people edit them.
Original post by punctuation

Google forms would work, yes. About the time offers would come in, we could export the results to a spreadsheet and have people edit them.
Yeah. But as CS person, I also feel "we should be able to do better"...

I feel like we've discovered a niche gap in the market... an online spreadsheet where each row is only editable by its creator. I'd create it, except I can't imagine there being any money in it whatsoever!
Yeah. But as CS person, I also feel "we should be able to do better"...

I feel like we've discovered a niche gap in the market... an online spreadsheet where each row is only editable by its creator. I'd create it, except I can't imagine there being any money in it whatsoever!

How would that work though? Would it log the IP address or would there be a password for each row? :lol: That seems very complicated

How would that work though? Would it log the IP address or would there be a password for each row? :lol: That seems very complicated
Well in an ideal world, it would tie in with TSR logins... (and if TSR agreed to that, then I might actually put the effort into creating it. But it's pretty unlikely they would...)
Well in an ideal world, it would tie in with TSR logins... (and if TSR agreed to that, then I might actually put the effort into creating it. But it's pretty unlikely they would...)

Isnt it just a 10 minute phphtml job of making a table with a login basically?
Bum.That's quite easy to do. The disadvantage is that once people have submitted their "row" then it can't be easily edited afterwards (e.g. to show whether somebody got an offer)

I think we'll need a new offer-holders spreadsheet anyway. It'd be too depressing to just delete people, and if the person who made the spreadsheet (:hello:) didn't get in it would be awkward.

Alas, we have never met. I went to the open day yesterday and loved it there. :redface: In July the 7th I was at "the other place" for their open day :biggrin:

I went to the other place the day after, on July 8th. Well, fingers crossed I'll see you at interview! :biggrin:

Isnt it just a 10 minute phphtml job of making a table with a login basically?
Yeah it wouldn't be very hard (but you would have to sign up separately) but it also needs to be hosted, etc
Original post by malvika111
I absolutely fell in love with Oxford at the Open Day. I sort of wish I didn't go now as I'll be genuinely heartbroken if I don't get in... but it was so darn beautiful. Did anyone go to the law Q&A yesterday afternoon at the St Cross building?

I went to it too :smile: The two law undergrads seemed pretty fun to talk to (especially the guy lol) What college did you like the most ?
Original post by malvika111
I absolutely fell in love with Oxford at the Open Day. I sort of wish I didn't go now as I'll be genuinely heartbroken if I don't get in... but it was so darn beautiful. Did anyone go to the law Q&A yesterday afternoon at the St Cross building?

Original post by barrister_2000
I went to it too :smile: The two law undergrads seemed pretty fun to talk to (especially the guy lol) What college did you like the most ?

Did they say anything significant about GCSE/A-Level results apart from the obvious?
Reply 5652
Helloooo everyone. Basically I only came across this today so I have a coupl'a questions:

1) what is this spreadsheet thing people are talking about?

2) what are people applying for English reading at the moment/in prep. for interviews?

Struggling to get my PS down now, it's 4700 characters and I don't want to remove anything!
On another note, just got back from the Exeter open day. Whilst, it's s lovely campus, I was pretty disappointed with the law talk (I couldn't help comparing it to the Oxford one):frown:
Original post by Perseverance
Struggling to get my PS down now, it's 4700 characters and I don't want to remove anything!
On another note, just got back from the Exeter open day. Whilst, it's s lovely campus, I was pretty disappointed with the law talk (I couldn't help comparing it to the Oxford one):frown:

I'm having the opposite issue, 3400ish characters and nothing more to say :frown:
Reply 5655
Which admissions test in particular...?

The language one :smile:
I'm having the opposite issue, 3400ish characters and nothing more to say :frown:

but isn't that what it should be about anyway, considering the line limit?

I'm pretty sure mine is about 3500....
Reply 5657
I wouldn't worry about it too much. My PS has one sentence that mentions a couple of topics I liked in AS Computing, but that's it and my other subjects are barely mentioned.

Nice to see another CompSci on the thread :biggrin:

It certainly is! None of my friends is applying to CS so I can't compare PSes or stress out together with them, ha. We're not the only ones here, are we?

Thanks much for the reassurance. I'm just a bit anxious about how my PS would compare to the kids who start coding at age 12 and have produced many programs to their name - I only started coding last year when I joined Computing and working with text files and objects in C++ is about the limit of my skills :s-smilie:

Tobedotty - what are you applying for? I think as long as you've got everything you think is important down it's ok to be a little under the limit. My statement is massively long right now and I'd gladly swap places :smile:
I didn't have time to say this on Friday, but....
MY UCAS FORM IS DONE :biggrin:
All I need to do is pay £22 and wait impatiently for my reference to be done. I asked my form tutor to put in some of my UMS marks but he said something vague about academic ability instead -.-
I'm so happy :biggrin: And I quite like my PS; I think it reads quite nicely :smile: Fingers crossed it all goes well!

Unfortunately this morning I ended up having an argument with my boyfriend because he believes the British system of personal statements and stuff is "stupid" and that we have to write ours as if the people reading them are stupid -.- "I did this and it was a great experience because"...needless to say I absolutely ripped into the American system with its emphasis on ECs rather than actual academics, and its liking of people who can donate millions to the college, and the alumni system...oh, and then to add insult to injury, because American unis demand like $75 per university application, he's speanign his wages on that, meaning he's not coming to visit me in October as we'd planned. I'm fairly upset :frown:

SVEN you were meant to be sending me your PS!!
Even though it'll probably be a while before we get any offers etc, does anyone else feel overwhelmingly excited? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending