The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by V10
Predicted AABB with not very good GCSE's - A*AAAAAABBCC
Is it even worth applying to Bristol/Nottingham?

For economics? or something else? What are the As in?
Hi guys I saw some of you putting your UMS in the Qualification box for UCL ect.

Is it worth doing it for unis who dont ask for UMS. Would it be beneficial to do it, because for my physics because Im so ridiculously close overall to an A grade it could help. Thoughts ?
Reply 2962
For Economics and the A's are for Maths and Economics at A2
Would I most likely be rejected from Nottingham/Bristol even though I would meet their offer?
Original post by V10
Predicted AABB with not very good GCSE's - A*AAAAAABBCC
Is it even worth applying to Bristol/Nottingham?

Well Notts offer is minimum offer is AAA...and loads of AAA students got rejected over the last few years, some because of their GCSEs.
They did this because there are so many applicants who are predicted 3 As, they needed a way to seperate them...hence GCSEs came into play. It's a pretty lazy and frankly stupid way of doing it, but hey they're the admissions tutors, not us.

As for Bristol, I'm not sure, but again aren't they AAA too?

Not to put a downer on things but it's much better to know where you truly stand now and make the best of it, than overshooting your choices and ending up disappointed 6 months from now.

Honestly, try to beg for atleast an AAAB prediction - having a 3 A prediction opens so many more doors for you. Otherwise you'll have to stick with AAB unis (or some AAA unis may consider AABB due to 4 subjects).
Of course you can have one bliss choice of Notts or Bristol just for the hope.
Reply 2964
Original post by jacky23
The subjects where maths, economics, physics and electronics. Not quite sure electronics falls into the traditional subject area though :/

and I haven't really made my mind up fully yet.

That's a good combination. It'll depend on what universities you want to apply on how much GCSEs play an impact.
Reply 2965
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Hi does anyone kno whether doing a gold D of E would enhance your economics application and by how much? I get the impression some unis don't care about it too much.

Also- would it help if you reapply after taking a gap year?

I don't think many universities would care. It would probably just end up being a footnote for all the effort that goes into it.
Original post by V10
For Economics and the A's are for Maths and Economics at A2
Would I most likely be rejected from Nottingham/Bristol even though I would meet their offer?

Did you do further maths?
Well tbf on you, you did get the two As on two of the most important subjects (that's if you didn't do FM).

I do not know what the offers are for Bristol but Nott is A*ABB-AABB if I remember correctly, so yes you did meet the entry requirements.
Judging by your grades, yes you are likely to be rejected, but that does not mean that you will get rejected.
Make sure you have a good PS and perform your best in the interview. I would defo put at least one of them down
What are you thinking of doing when you are older btw- as some proffessions prefer 'target unis'
Reply 2967
Hi does anyone kno whether doing a gold D of E would enhance your economics application and by how much? I get the impression some unis don't care about it too much.

Also- would it help if you reapply after taking a gap year?

Doubt it would help much, definitely wouldn't be a swaying factor.

And taking a gap year would only help if you had very good achieved A2 grades.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tateco
Doubt it would help much, definitely wouldn't be a swaying factor.

And taking a gap year would only help if you had very good achieved A2 grades.

Yep it seems that the commitment required for D of E would not really help, ergo I will not do it.

And yeah getting good A2 grades are my top priority, although I am 2 modules behind in chem! :s-smilie:
Reply 2969
Yep it seems that the commitment required for D of E would not really help, ergo I will not do it.

And yeah getting good A2 grades are my top priority, although I am 2 modules behind in chem! :s-smilie:

It's still worth a mention in your PS but not worth making too much of a big deal about.
Original post by Tateco
It's still worth a mention in your PS but not worth making too much of a big deal about.

Nah I don't think I can be bothered for it lol, I think it will potentially have more of a negative impact than a positive one.
Original post by zxh800
I don't think many universities would care. It would probably just end up being a footnote for all the effort that goes into it.

Yeah that seems to be the general consesus- thanks for the replies
Reply 2972
Nah I don't think I can be bothered for it lol, I think it will potentially have more of a negative impact than a positive one.

It can't have a negative impact, I would definitely mention it if I had done it, it's an achievement to be proud of and it's too much time wasted if you don't use it.
Original post by Tateco
It can't have a negative impact, I would definitely mention it if I had done it, it's an achievement to be proud of and it's too much time wasted if you don't use it.

nah I haven't done it that's the thing. I haven't even done bronze or silver, so jumping to the gold qualification would be a lot of work. My school was asking if anyone wanted to do gold and I was thinking about it. The time you need to dedicate to it can have a negative impact on my academics, and the other curriculars I am doing- two of the things I really should be focusing on.
Original post by somaiyar
LOL we are not blind! I did French and German GCSE so i'm alright, but I wish I had picked a soft subject like ICT so I could have got another A* in the bag

ICT may be a soft subject in terms of difficulty, but the coursework is ridiculously time-consuming - mine was over 300 pages long...

I've done DofE, and from what I gathered it probably wont help for Uni applications to the very top universities i.e. Oxbridge, LSE, however may be slightly useful for the others. However it may help later on in grad job applications because of the commitment aspect, and you can sometimes get feedback, for example someone in my group get a letter through from the invigilator commending them for their excellent leadership skill, which will probably end up on his CV. Tbh I was fortuanate though as I already regularly play sports, volunteer weekly, and do something for skill so it required no extra work. But yeah A2 grades are probably more important...
Reply 2976
nah I haven't done it that's the thing. I haven't even done bronze or silver, so jumping to the gold qualification would be a lot of work. My school was asking if anyone wanted to do gold and I was thinking about it. The time you need to dedicate to it can have a negative impact on my academics, and the other curriculars I am doing- two of the things I really should be focusing on.

Doesn't it take 18 months of service etc. how could you fit it in?
Reply 2977
Original post by alex_hk90
ICT may be a soft subject in terms of difficulty, but the coursework is ridiculously time-consuming - mine was over 300 pages long...

:lolwut: Luckily I managed to 80-90% of my coursework in the lessons but it still never amounted to that!

Does anyone know when you get informed for an interview/TSA for Cambridge?
Original post by Tateco
Doesn't it take 18 months of service etc. how could you fit it in?

I thought you could carry it on into uni? Oh well, I'm probably not going to do it anyways.
Reply 2979
I thought you could carry it on into uni? Oh well, I'm probably not going to do it anyways.

Ah I see (I don't know anything about DofE :tongue:)

Latest

Trending

Trending