The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brand New Eyes
THERE ARE SOCIAL EVENTS ! :O < genuinely fell off my chair. I think I may be abit too keen, about well... everything :biggrin:

aww college parents! that's the best thing about Oxford. I'm a mum to a Year 12 atm, but its just strange.

Ah I thought free accommodation would be in the package! It's like £17 a night or something!

sadly I'm not 18 till June, but they're chilled about that stuff right?

spamming is what its all about

I think the college bars are closed during interviews but....that doesn't mean you can't buddy up with an 18 year old for your alcohol. Though, I feel the need to say it's probably not too good an idea to drink during a time when your mental acuity is going to be tested to its limit :wink:

There are social events because otherwise you'd be bored stiff - I spent 4 amazing days at Oxford, but only had 2 interviews so I had lots of free time to wander around...sneak into the other colleges and get to know the other applicants i.e. be friendly but also surreptitiously gauge how their interviews went :smile:
Original post by Mousebudden
Hi guys

Does anyone know if Oxford require UMS scores for all subjects?

Where should UMS scores be placed on the UCAS form?

Thanks a lot!

No, you don't have to declare UMS scores.

Any excellent UMS scores should be mentioned in your reference. :smile:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993

Thanks for the reply
Original post by Mousebudden
Hi guys

Does anyone know if Oxford require UMS scores for all subjects?

Where should UMS scores be placed on the UCAS form?

Thanks a lot!

You could have googled this, but seeing as you're here

No, they do not ask for UMS scores, only Cambridge does that.
If you want it mentioned you should probably ask your reference to mention it, there is a box on UCAS for "Other" on grade but I don't think you're meant to put UMS in that, just select a grade from the drop down list

I wish I was you right now!

I bet you can't wait >.<
Original post by Jorgeyy
I wish I was you right now!

I bet you can't wait >.<

Ha yea, everyone else has already left for uni and I'm sitting at home wishing time would go faster. That's probably why I have so much time to lurk on the Oxford forums :colondollar:

That said - you applicants also have a fun time ahead :smile: I remember how incredibly rubbish it was to go back to school after interviews (the lack of pretty buildings annoyed me no end). Make the most of it!
Ha yea, everyone else has already left for uni and I'm sitting at home wishing time would go faster. That's probably why I have so much time to lurk on the Oxford forums :colondollar:

That said - you applicants also have a fun time ahead :smile: I remember how incredibly rubbish it was to go back to school after interviews (the lack of pretty buildings annoyed me no end). Make the most of it!

Too true.

Where else did you apply and did you get all 5 offers, if you don't mind?
I think the college bars are closed during interviews but....that doesn't mean you can't buddy up with an 18 year old for your alcohol. Though, I feel the need to say it's probably not too good an idea to drink during a time when your mental acuity is going to be tested to its limit :wink:

There are social events because otherwise you'd be bored stiff - I spent 4 amazing days at Oxford, but only had 2 interviews so I had lots of free time to wander around...sneak into the other colleges and get to know the other applicants i.e. be friendly but also surreptitiously gauge how their interviews went :smile:

A drink or two wouldn't hurt, but aye I hear you. I could have up to 6 interviews! (depending on college, if I get through etc.)
Sounds so fun! It'd be like Hogwarts exploration (yes I am one of those Harry Potter fanatics :biggrin:)

:wink: is that what you did? How did the whole "you cant tell each other what questions were asked in interviews" rule go? did everyone keep quiet.
Original post by Jorgeyy
Too true.

Where else did you apply and did you get all 5 offers, if you don't mind?

I applied to Durham, Bristol, Birmingham and Edinburgh and got offers from all of them (Though I got an AAA offer from Edinburgh when the standard offer is BBB so I don't think they like me very much :s-smilie:)

What are you applying for? Have you chosen a college?
Original post by Brand New Eyes
A drink or two wouldn't hurt, but aye I hear you. I could have up to 6 interviews! (depending on college, if I get through etc.)
Sounds so fun! It'd be like Hogwarts exploration (yes I am one of those Harry Potter fanatics :biggrin:)

:wink: is that what you did? How did the whole "you cant tell each other what questions were asked in interviews" rule go? did everyone keep quiet.

No, we were all quite open with interview questions. You're always passively aware that this is competitive entrance but there really is a spirit of unity - we're all in the same boat sort of thing.

And YES my friend and I tried to sneak into Christ Church to see the Harry Potter hall but the porter glared at us. We started walking to the gate and as soon as we saw his expression we very suddenly and obviously turned straight around and retreated and then spent the next few minutes walking conspicuously back and forth past the gate to check whether the porter was still on the lookout :biggrin:
I applied to Durham, Bristol, Birmingham and Edinburgh and got offers from all of them (Though I got an AAA offer from Edinburgh when the standard offer is BBB so I don't think they like me very much :s-smilie:)

What are you applying for? Have you chosen a college?

Balliol for Oxford (maths)

Since I would quite like to live in London I am also applying to LSE (math with econ) and UCL (maths)

My fourth is Bath (maths) and since I am doing STEP I think I have a decent chance here.

I think my final choice will be Nottingham (maths)

AAAAA at AS (Math, Econ, Biology, ICT, Gen Stud)

Dropped ICT and Gen Stud, taken up Further Maths A2 in a year.

So I'll have 4 A2 and 2 AS, predicted A* for maths and econ, A in biol, not sure about further maths yet but can probably persuade an A* prediction in it ^^
Reply 5711
When does the interview process take place? December time - when everyone has finished for the holidays at Oxford?

And do all applicants have their interviews on the same week or are they staggered over several weeks?
Original post by georget1
When does the interview process take place? December time - when everyone has finished for the holidays at Oxford?

And do all applicants have their interviews on the same week or are they staggered over several weeks?

check the interview timetable: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/how_to_apply/interviews/interview_timetable.html
Reply 5713
Original post by BeritV
not muchhhh :frown: uuuuu? :biggrin:

just killing time on youtube, superproductive me eh
Original post by Jorgeyy
Balliol for Oxford (maths)

Since I would quite like to live in London I am also applying to LSE (math with econ) and UCL (maths)

My fourth is Bath (maths) and since I am doing STEP I think I have a decent chance here.

I think my final choice will be Nottingham (maths)

AAAAA at AS (Math, Econ, Biology, ICT, Gen Stud)

Dropped ICT and Gen Stud, taken up Further Maths A2 in a year.

So I'll have 4 A2 and 2 AS, predicted A* for maths and econ, A in biol, not sure about further maths yet but can probably persuade an A* prediction in it ^^

Good luck! You have very good grades :smile:

Though I'm afraid I'm obliged to dislike you on principle because you're applying to Trinity's arch-rivals Balliol :wink:

There have been some hilarious incidents over the years including: the poisoning of Trinity's fish at the hands of Balliol undergrads, the turfing of either Trinity or Balliol's JCR (I forget which one) and releasing greased pigs into the JCR =S All that crazy stuff has died out though....thankfully.

Original post by georget1

They take place at the start of December and Oxford students will be on holiday, except for the ones helping out.

Interviews are staggered according to the broad distinction of Humanities and Sciences. (Though social sciences are with Humanities - so PPE/E&M etc)

Last year, Humanities applicants had a week and then they all left before the Science students arrived a week later.
No, we were all quite open with interview questions. You're always passively aware that this is competitive entrance but there really is a spirit of unity - we're all in the same boat sort of thing.

And YES my friend and I tried to sneak into Christ Church to see the Harry Potter hall but the porter glared at us. We started walking to the gate and as soon as we saw his expression we very suddenly and obviously turned straight around and retreated and then spent the next few minutes walking conspicuously back and forth past the gate to check whether the porter was still on the lookout :biggrin:

So did you guys get asked the same questions?

Aha sounds like something I would do, If all else fails meow and pretend to be a cat? The same thing happened to be on Friday! Well, I was trying to go in through the exit *awkward* and he shouted at me. I get a feeling ChCh porters are not to be messed with, they probably get alot of tourist hassle etc. haha its like being a spy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGRoR3ICAXw

Oxford terms are so short/start very late. But it'll be worth the wait!

Ooh, thanks for posting this link! It's interesting looking at the sample interview questions - the English ones seem like they'd be really good fun/interesting to debate :colondollar: I just really hope I make it through to the interview stage!

I am going to try and be the 1st year that takes care of the tortoise if I get in...

Come at me bro!

Going for a shower, pm me your Skype if you use it?

It would be good to be friends with a member from Trinity, if only for protection!!

Exactly, which is what I tried to say to my form tutor because my German ones especially were rather good if I may say so myself, but he mumbled something about it not being necessary -.-
Original post by such_a_lady

Original post by such_a_lady
Exactly, which is what I tried to say to my form tutor because my German ones especially were rather good if I may say so myself, but he mumbled something about it not being necessary -.-
Gosh that's annoying!