The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jampolo
my shift button sucks. eww man thats jailbait wuts wrong with u. ima beat STEP llike thers a belt buckle involved :cool:

loooooooooool....cnt wait for STEP :colone: seen a alot of people doing well in the step....i will show them that their bad boy acting isnt hard to do :colone: :biggrin:
Is anyone applying for Exeter?
Original post by 1platinum
Is anyone applying for Exeter?

Nope, I think with A*AA - AAB maybe they're trying to hit a little too high? I can't really see anyone risk getting an A*AA offer from Exeter, when there are better alternatives.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Nope, I think with A*AA - AAB maybe they're trying to hit a little too high? I can't really see anyone risk getting an A*AA offer from Exeter, when there are better alternatives.

I don't really understand what that means though to be honest.. I mean A*AA is a lot different from AAB. :s-smilie:
I don't really understand what that means though to be honest.. I mean A*AA is a lot different from AAB. :s-smilie:

They can give you A*AA or AAA or A*AB or AAB, I think it's usually depending on how competitive it is that year. Edinburgh have a similar policy.
I'm thinking of doing a maths and computer science degree because i might want to be a games developer but i also might wants to be a maths teacher. I'm worried that I will struggle without further maths. Has anyone done something like this?

Here are my AS maths modules:

C1-78/100 ( retaking )
C2-79/100
S1 -88/100

Will i most likely struggle on the course? I'm a bit worried i might.

Any advice well appreciated :smile:
They can give you A*AA or AAA or A*AB or AAB, I think it's usually depending on how competitive it is that year. Edinburgh have a similar policy.

Oh I see. Yes I suppose it is quite risky then, when potentially your offer could be A*AA, when elsewhere you wouldn't get an offer higher than that anyway.
Original post by Just Josh
I'm thinking of doing a maths and computer science degree because i might want to be a games developer but i also might wants to be a maths teacher. I'm worried that I will struggle without further maths. Has anyone done something like this?

C1-78/100 ( retaking )
C2-79/100
S1 -88/100

I'm confused, you're thinking? Either you're in Year 12 and your pretty smart, or you're in Year 13 and you're completely lost.
Oh I see. Yes I suppose it is quite risky then, when potentially your offer could be A*AA, when elsewhere you wouldn't get an offer higher than that anyway.

Exactly.
I'm confused, you're thinking? Either you're in Year 12 and your pretty smart, or you're in Year 13 and you're completely lost.

Year 13 and having to apply in a couple of weeks yea :s-smilie:

C1-78/100 ( retaking )
C2-79/100
S1 -88/100

I would suggest not retaking as you are on an A anyway and instead concentrating on nailing the C3 and C4 exams.
I'm probably not good enough to get into a top uni for maths in London (talking imperial and UCL).

So I probably will have to go for my back up plan which is Chem engineering/ chemistry at Imperial/UCL.

Sad times
I would suggest not retaking as you are on an A anyway and instead concentrating on nailing the C3 and C4 exams.

Thanks for the response. I don't suppose your doing a maths degree without taking further maths?
Thanks for the response. I don't suppose your doing a maths degree without taking further maths?

Does your school/college offer FM? If they do, you're in trouble, almost all the top unis for maths will be closed to you. :/ Ask them if you can take AS level FM asap if they do offer it
Yea they do, and i asked but the groups are full. I'm not aiming for 'top uni's anyway - maths was my only A grade. looking at kent and reading :smile: just looking for stories of people who dont have FM i guess but now i look through this thread, most seem to do :s-smilie:
Original post by carlos the third
Did you go to the maths talk with someone called Geoff? He was brilliant!

I have to say though, I was annoyed to find out that they only offer you one of A*AA/ A*AB 2 or merit, i had always assumed that you would get both for some reason :colondollar:

I was there! Did you go to the one where he spilt all the water? Then he said with a straight face "Yes, Cambridge require two 1s, but we just ask for an S in any STEP" and everyone gasped :biggrin:

I'm a bit confused about STEP though. Do I put it with my 2012 modules as "pending"?

C1-78/100 ( retaking )
C2-79/100
S1 -88/100

Many people (or at least a good number) choose to take AS FM outside school. It's not a nightmare to self-teach - there's a whole support network (Further Maths Support Network) and you can always post to forums like this for help :smile: Just make sure you get good textbooks - I find it easiest to learn from revision guides and revision notes. And make sure to do practise questions for every topic you do.

If you do this, self-teaching FM is very possible! It's just a C1-C2 level module (FP1) plus two applied modules in addition to the two you're taking for A-level. The best way is probably - D1, S1, M1 and then choose M2 or S2. :smile:
Yea they do, and i asked but the groups are full. I'm not aiming for 'top uni's anyway - maths was my only A grade. looking at kent and reading :smile: just looking for stories of people who dont have FM i guess but now i look through this thread, most seem to do :s-smilie:

The Universities cover almost all of the firther maths stuff again in your first year - they know that not everyone does it. Of course it would make life easier, but it's not necessary :smile:
Original post by Xero Xenith

I'm a bit confused about STEP though. Do I put it with my 2012 modules as "pending"?

I second this question
Original post by Xero Xenith

I didn't put it on UCAS, I presume those who did mentioned it in their PS. It's not a qualification listed in the education section so wouldn't really fit there. There's no need to put it on as most people (well me) won't decide to take it until they get offers needing it.

Latest