The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThePurpleRose
Haha, I had the same thought - I already live in Norfolk and it chucked it down this afternoon. For once I was glad our move in date is so late. :tongue:

It's odd except for the few who start in October most of my friends have already moved away and I thought our start date was early at first. Are you moving in on the 24th as well?
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by jelly1000
I know there is a reason why their isn't Wifi in halls, but I can't remember why, and a few people in my halls group on facebook are like 'oh considering how much we are paying for halls I'd expect wifi'.

A few reasons really. Firstly it's because when the buildings were built (and I know its only a few years ago in some cases) Wi-Fi was not as prevelent as it is now. To retrospectively fit it into the rooms would be a very expensive and time consuming exercise and this would impact on the rent that you guys have to pay. I know it may look like our rent is expensive but you have to compare us to other Universities in this instance - we really are not. I would think that we are one of the more resonably priced (for accommodation) in the country.

Secondly we couldn't guarantee what kind of reception you would get in your rooms even if we did fit it. We know how bad the TV signal is inside some of our buildings due to the nature of their construction (the walls seem to block it). The same thing could happen to a Wi-Fi signal.

There are a few Wi-Fi spots around the campus though that you can use while you are out and about.

One thing I will say though, please don't fit your own routers in your rooms. Even if you do get it working it's against the terms or service of your UEA IT contract. If you break these terms the IT department can restrict your use or even cut you off the network completely.

Sorry we don't have it. If we could, we would offer it. We always want to improve what we offer to our residents.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2642
I always find wifi reception to be good around the rest of campus, which is a perk! Though it has proved something of a distraction during lectures..

However, this talk has reminded me of 'the techpocalyse' :p: Total death of the uni network for about a week.. however, it meant everyone in halls was actually compelled to sit outside their room and in the corridor for once! It was actually kind of nice. Everyone sitting around chatting and playing whatever old-school, non-internet requiring games they had on their laptops.. The Sims. AWH YEAH.
Original post by Lucyyy
I always find wifi reception to be good around the rest of campus, which is a perk! Though it has proved something of a distraction during lectures..

However, this talk has reminded me of 'the techpocalyse' :p: Total death of the uni network for about a week.. however, it meant everyone in halls was actually compelled to sit outside their room and in the corridor for once! It was actually kind of nice. Everyone sitting around chatting and playing whatever old-school, non-internet requiring games they had on their laptops.. The Sims. AWH YEAH.

Sounds like what it was like at Uni when I went in the pre-internet days!

I remember that week too. We couldn't do anything in the office either. It was like the whole campus had come to a standstill because you couldn't get online.
Reply 2644
Original post by UEAAccommodation
Sounds like what it was like at Uni when I went in the pre-internet days!

I remember that week too. We couldn't do anything in the office either. It was like the whole campus had come to a standstill because you couldn't get online.

The library was a ghost town, it was so eerie!
A few reasons really. Firstly it's because when the buildings were built (and I know its only a few years ago in some cases) WI-Fi was not as prevelent as it is now. To retrospectivly fit ito the rooms would be a very expensive and time consuming exersise and this would impact on the rent that you guys have to pay. I know it may look like our rent is expensive but you have to compare us to other Universities in this instance - we really are not. I would think that we are one of the more resonably priced (for accommodation) in the country.

Secondly we couldn't guarantee what kind of reception you would get in your rooms even if we did fit it. We know how bad the TV signal is inside some of our buildings due to the nature of their construction (the walls seem to block it). The same thing could happen to a Wi-Fi signal.

There are a few Wi-Fi spots around the campus though that you can use while you are out and about.

One thing I will say though, please don't fit your own routers in your rooms. Even if you do get it working it's against the terms or service of your UEA IT contract. If you break these terms the IT department can restrict you use or even cut you off the network completely.

Sorry we don't have it. If we could, we would offer it. We always want to improve what we offer to our residents.

Thanks for explaining that, I realised it probally wasnt feasible but others didn't seem to think so. They couldn't understand why if places like McDonalds e.c.t have wifi then why a hall couldn't.
Original post by jelly1000
Thanks for explaining that, I realised it probally wasnt feasible but others didn't seem to think so. They couldn't understand why if places like McDonalds e.c.t have wifi then why a hall couldn't.

A big open space like that will be a lot simpler to provide it to than 3500 individual bedrooms that all need secure access!

As I said, if it was easy to provide and wouldn't mean a big rent hike, we would. We don't deliberately withhold services.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by makingamemory
It's odd except for the few who start in October most of my friends have already moved away and I thought our start date was early at first. Are you moving in on the 24th as well?

Same. I thought September was early but pretty much all of my friends moved in this weekend and some of them moved in before that. Aside from the few who haven't gone to university this year, all of my friends have actually moved in now apart from two. I'm the last to leave. I move in on the 25th. :biggrin:

It may have been a long wait but it'll be great when we get there! :smile: It's less than a week now :biggrin:
Okay I'm being really really dumb here, but when youre filling out a normal form using your accommodation address you haven't been given a flat no/street name...so what do you put? LOL I know it's

My name ENV [flat no/house name whatever?]
University village courtyard-A [Is this the street name...?]
Norwich, Norfolk
NR4 7TJ

I hate filling out things! :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by makingamemory
Okay I'm being really really dumb here, but when youre filling out a normal form using your accommodation address you haven't been given a flat no/street name...so what do you put? LOL I know it's

My name ENV [flat no/house name whatever?]
University village courtyard-A [Is this the street name...?]
Norwich, Norfolk
NR4 7TJ

I hate filling out things! :colondollar:

What you have put there is right. You can also add your room number to the second line once you find it out but you don't need to. You don't need to put a street name since the UEA is so big it's not really on a "street" as such. If you really need one you can put Earlham Road but you don't need it.
What you have put there is right. You can also add your room number to the second line once you find it out but you don't need to. You don't need to put a street name since the UEA is so big it's not really on a "street" as such. If you really need one you can put Earlham Road but you don't need it.

Thank you :smile:
Have a safe journey to Norwich all you International Students who are arriving tomorrow. I'll see you from 10am in the LCR when you arrive to collect your keys.

I'll be the one looking stressed pacing about in a suit.
Hey, the day i move in is coming ever closer!

i was wondering if anyone could give me a run down on what happens when i get there to put my mind at ease? ...like an itinerary
Original post by High As A Kite
Hey, the day i move in is coming ever closer!

i was wondering if anyone could give me a run down on what happens when i get there to put my mind at ease? ...like an itinerary

OK, that seems like a good idea. Are you from the UK or Overseas?
OK, that seems like a good idea. Are you from the UK or Overseas?

UK :smile:
Right then.

Providing you are coming by car when you arrive and get to the main car park you will be directed to park in a certain area depending on what residence you have been allocated to. Don't worry, you won't be leaving your car there, you can move to the residence one you have your keys. Remember that you will need to bring either some photo ID or a print out of your room offer letter with you or we won't be able to issue your keys. You don't want to be sent back up to the car to get this so remember to pick them up.

After you have been parked up follow the happy throng of excited new people to the Student Union Building (more specifically the LCR in the building) and join the queue (if you're unlucky) or go straight up to the long line desks (if you are lucky!). These are manned and womaned by a host of students, normally in yellow T-Shirts, and they will be able to help you to sign your licence and collect your keys. You will have to sign the licence even if for instance your parents will be paying for it. The contract will be with you and not them. I'll also be in the hall looking after this team so if you see me say hi!

In the pack you will get at this point will be:

Your Keys

Your UEA campus ID card (if you have completed the on-line application for it by the deadline). If you haven't there may be a temporary residence card in it's place that will open your room door (if you residence needs one). If you get a temporary card you will need return it to us in the Accommodation Office when you do get your campus ID from the library in the first week.

Your room licence and T+Cs that go with it.

Information about the insurance you have on the room. Every student has this set up and it is a mandatory charge of £6 for the year added to the rent (in other words £6 on top of the total shown as the rent payment on the licence).

The Inventory sheet for your room. When you get into the room fill in the back of this ticking off the condition of the various items shown on the list (good, fair or poor) then leave it on your desk. When you cleaner comes in on the next weekday to empty your room bin they will sign it off and take it away. At the end of your contract period they will come back and make sure everything is still in the same condition. This document protects you from being charged for things you haven't broken so make sure that you fill it in.

And some information about meningitis that we give out on behalf of the meningitis trust. Don't worry about this though. I can't think of a single case of meningitis in the 7 years I've worked here. It's just for your info.

Once you have this pack go back to your car and you can then move it to your new residence. You will be directed to park as close as you can to the entrance nearest your room. There will be teams of student helpers on hand to help you unload led by the Senior Residents for your building.

Once you have unloaded your car please don't leave it where it is. If your parents (or whoever is bringing you) want to stay a bit longer please get them to move the car back to the main car park as the spot you had will be needed so that someone else can unload.

In the room will be a bedding pack (if you ordered one) and a small box containing some freebies (a drink, some snacks and shampoo etc) and also the Student Accommodation Survival Guide. Pretty much any question you may have will be answered in this book so please read it as it may save you a trip to see us in the office if you do.

Lastly, get settled in and meet your new flatmates!

If you do have any problems though please come and see us in the Arrivals Hall or the Accommodation Office. we'll be happy to help.

Hope this gives you the heads up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2656
I know we have to get permission for people to come and stay, but if my boyfriend wants to come and stay one night, where is it best for him to park? And will it cost?
Original post by zoec90
I know we have to get permission for people to come and stay, but if my boyfriend wants to come and stay one night, where is it best for him to park? And will it cost?

I would think it would be the main car park but I would suggest that you check with security before he comes to make sure it's OK for him to leave it there. There will be a charge for this but I can't remember how much off hand!
Reply 2658
ah okay, thank you :smile:
Hi, please someone reply quickly!

I'm doing the medical forms at the moment and was wondering what my Norwich address would be? (im living in constable terrace if it matters)

- also, it simply states 'School' on one form and 'UEA Students: School...' on the other.... what does it want? School of law or something?

thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending