The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle Uni Freshers Week Wristbands..

Just checked it out, thought it was a bit crap having to pay for it anyway, I thought 20 quid would be fairly resonable but 55??!!!! Can anyone tell me if I even NEED to buy this wristband or can I do plenty throughout the week without it?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hanikins
Just checked it out, thought it was a bit crap having to pay for it anyway, I thought 20 quid would be fairly resonable but 55??!!!! Can anyone tell me if I even NEED to buy this wristband or can I do plenty throughout the week without it?

Thanks!

Hey, it's really crap but apparently you can't do ANYTHING without it! I think it'll pay for itself though if you do some activities like paintballing and stuff.

Also, there's a £2.50 booking fee so it actually costs £57.50 :/
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah it seemed a bit expensive to me.

But then if you look at some of the stuff you can do with it it seems great value. Paintballing, quad biking, beach buggies and all the rest of it. Would cost you a lot more then £55 if you wanted to do all that stuff without a wristband.

I suppose it depends how many activities you do to how good a value it is. I'm planning to make full use of it.
(edited 12 years ago)
It is a bit pricey, but I guess it's priced on the assumption that people will want to do as many activities (day and night) as possible during freshers week, in which case it really does pay for itself.

It covers entry to all nights the Student Union is holding, plus any they organise at venues in the city, transport to and from your halls, loads of cool daytime events also with transport, and you'll probably get a free drink or 3 at the night events and freebies during the day.

Just buy it and go all-out in the week, you won't regret it :smile:
Reply 4
Newcastle freshers week has the reputation of being rhe best in the country, and as someone above mentioned, all the daytime actvities you get with it would come to far, far more than £55, and the night time events, as someone else said, you get numerous free drinks, and ridiclously discounted drinks thereafter. Not only this but the nighttime events are meant to be absolutely quality, so tbh it would be foolish not to get it.
Original post by JackT180
Newcastle freshers week has the reputation of being rhe best in the country, and as someone above mentioned, all the daytime actvities you get with it would come to far, far more than £55, and the night time events, as someone else said, you get numerous free drinks, and ridiclously discounted drinks thereafter. Not only this but the nighttime events are meant to be absolutely quality, so tbh it would be foolish not to get it.

A guy in my flat last year didn't buy one and because he wasn't involved in the freshers activities I think he really struggled to mix with everybody and didnt meet many people form around the halls.

If you think about it you might pay a fiver on a normal night to get into the best clubs. and your doing this for a whole week. Plus all the activites during the day like cocktail making at revs, yo shushi, bowling etc etc. It really pays for itself.
Plus to nights in the union are brilliant. You meet so many people.
I'd love to do it all again.
Reply 6
Can you buy the wristbands on arrival or do they have to be pre-booked? x
Reply 7
Like others are saying, it might seem steep at first but i think it will pay for itself just on nights out alone.
Free drinks here and there, plus all the day time stuff you can do.

I definitely think I'll get my monies worth!
Reply 8
Original post by Emilyyyyyyy
Can you buy the wristbands on arrival or do they have to be pre-booked? x

Need to buy them online before they sell out.

http://www.nusu.co.uk/freshers
Reply 9
Just got a letter from Newcastle about my History course. There is going to be a few induction days in the first week and a visit to some museam. I wish we had been told before the wristbands went on sale- I won't get to make as much use of the bands as I had wanted to with it conflicting with some of this History stuff.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Azog 150
Just got a letter from Newcastle about my History course. There is going to be a few induction days in the first week and a visit to some museam. I wish we had been told before the wristbands went on sail- I won't get to make as much use of the bands as I had wanted to with it conflicting with some of this History stuff.

I think most people will be in the same situation dude... You should still find time to do some fun stuff and you should be able to make it to each of the night events :cool:
Reply 11
Depends on what you want to do. They have lots of activities lined up including renting out the entire Gate complex for the Thursday with cinema, pubs, restaurants and God knows what else.

But you know, if you just wanna meet up with a bunch of other people who don't wanna spend £55... you're in Newcastle, you can do all those things anyways. I'll be honest, I'm not paying anything until I know exactly what the activities are.
Original post by Azog 150
Just got a letter from Newcastle about my History course. There is going to be a few induction days in the first week and a visit to some museam. I wish we had been told before the wristbands went on sale- I won't get to make as much use of the bands as I had wanted to with it conflicting with some of this History stuff.

I had like 5 induction things maybe more in my first week, I only went to 1. It's not like a big deal if you miss them, go to like the first one as that's normally the most important, but if there's something you really want to do, skip the induction as they normally say the same thing in each one. One of them last year was this stupid play and everybody moaned about it afterwards so I was pleased that I missed it lol. But all the activities are repeated everyday throughout the week sometimes twice so if you can't go one day, you can go another day. They repeat the activities because they know you'll have the cursed inductions :smile:
Quick question about collecting the wristband. It says you need ID, your uni acceptance letter and a pint-out of the email - does the letter from UCAS confirming your place at newcastle count as the acceptance letter?
Reply 14
Original post by Rogercbinboy
Quick question about collecting the wristband. It says you need ID, your uni acceptance letter and a pint-out of the email - does the letter from UCAS confirming your place at newcastle count as the acceptance letter?

I think the UCAS one is they one they mean, that is all I have anyway...
Original post by JClive
I think the UCAS one is they one they mean, that is all I have anyway...

Will roll with that then, cheers.
I've already got my smart card. All they wanted was the print out with the barcode on.
Reply 17
Original post by pinknipper
I've already got my smart card. All they wanted was the print out with the barcode on.

It said on my info that you couldn't collect your smartcard until at least the 24th. I wonder if I go up today I'll be able to get mine. Getting the scanned barcode is what also initiates the student loan to come through too...
I thought so too but I asked the staff in the finance dept about when the loans would come through and she said I could collect my card there and then. Initiating the student loan is done by a bloke in the finance dept sending off 'the returns' to SLC. He hadn't done it last Thurs but hopefully soon as my rent is due!
Reply 19
Cool, I double checked and it said only international students could get their smart card before Saturday but if you have yours I think I'll take a walk in today and see what happens. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending