The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by i_hate_teeth
I'm not sure what divisions to apply for.I really don't care about investment banking as a career but I think this stuff might look good on a CV, an d it would definitely be a good networking opportunity. I think I'm going to go for a variety of different divisions.

Why do you come out with this stuff?

Is it just to provoke a response?
Original post by CityTrader
Why do you come out with this stuff?

Is it just to provoke a response?

What stuff? I'm just expressing an opinion regarding the thread topic.
I'm not sure what divisions to apply for.I really don't care about investment banking as a career but I think this stuff might look good on a CV, an d it would definitely be a good networking opportunity. I think I'm going to go for a variety of different divisions.

I think it'd be better to focus on one or two divisions and really learn them inside out for interviews and the like, rather than spreading yourself wide and thin.

lol, so basically you've realised what we all did about you a long time ago...for all of your brash cocksure attitude, the reality is you know you don't have what it takes to get there.

Be prepared to get some stick because you've spent ages belittling others and saying how they aren't good enough.

Que Zweihander, lay it on him my friend.
Original post by Marc Fiorano
lol, so basically you've realised what we all did about you a long time ago...for all of your brash cocksure attitude, the reality is you know you don't have what it takes to get there.

Be prepared to get some stick because you've spent ages belittling others and saying how they aren't good enough.

Que Zweihander, lay it on him my friend.

I'm really not sure if I should give a serious or non-serious reply to your post. All I'll say for now is:

1) My career plans haven't changed.

2) Not everyone has the same goals and not everyone has the same level of satisfaction from accomplishing certain things.
Reply 225
Original post by rtzj00
Isnt it for first years only or are you second year on 4 year programme?

It's a 4 year course... suppose I should ask the internship people as most here will be first years.
Reply 226
do bloomberg offer an insight scheme for 1st years? (I've checked their website can't seem to find it but I have read things about an internship there....)??
Reply 227
How useful can contacts be during SW apps? I've got a few solid contacts and I'm just wondering if they pull strings or is good advice all they can offer me?

Is this a joke? Through contacts I'm already on one of the BB Spring Weeks so yes assuming they're high up enough you can get anything.
If there is any application in London where contacts can have a considerable influence it's spring internships.

They're relatively insignificant so if you can get somebody to recommend you they don't consider it a big risk to let you in for a week or two. But at most it will remove the lottery factor and ensure your application is looked at, nothing more.
You would still have to perform well in the interview.
Reply 229
The whole spring week application, concerning contacts (nepotism etc), is entirely a joke. it's appalling that those who aspire to enter the world of finance have to compete against all odds with those who just stroll in due to contacts. THing is, these people get found out - after they work at a bank for a month they will be 'discovered'. But for me, that is too long. They are starving people like me of a place.
What do we think are the top rated Spring Weeks?

I've heard UBS and Barcap spring weeks are pretty useless, whilst GS and DB are among the best?
Original post by Marcustheo
What do we think are the top rated Spring Weeks?

I've heard UBS and Barcap spring weeks are pretty useless, whilst GS and DB are among the best?

At this stage a BB spring week regardless of the bank is all good. It's only for 2 weeks, you won't be doing anything other than gaining an insight, that's all. So the nature of each bank's business or how reputable a certain desk is remains irrelevant. You won't be there long enough to notice the real differences or for anybody to remember your name.

Of course if there is a bank you already know you want to work at then it's preferable to choose that (if you have the luxury of choice) and hopefully get fast tracked to the summer internship as well which will be a big plus.

But essentially, spring weeks are just there to show two things:
1. You've maintained an active interest in IB and have put effort in establishing a career.
2. You were good enough to pass all the tests, interviews and the competition to get into a hugely competitive internship.

Those are the two main things that a SW will show on a CV.

Also I think unless one of us is massively mindblowing who gets offers coming in left right and centre, we can't really be choosers :p:
Original post by Marc Fiorano
Of course if there is a bank you already know you want to work at then it's preferable to choose that (if you have the luxury of choice) and hopefully get fast tracked to the summer internship as well which will be a big plus.

Protip to you guys applying for spring weeks. Dont underestimate how incredibly useful it is to get fast-tracked off your spring week and already have a summer offer a good year before you'll even start. Afaik the fast-track process for each banks is:

BAML - No fasttrack. SWers have to apply again when apps open.
BC - Hold ACs a few weeks after the SW and extend offers then.
BNPP - Fasttrack interviews in September.
CS - Same as BC.
Citi - Fasttrack interviews in September.
DB - Fasttrack interviews in September.
GS - Give out straight summer offers on the SW, and also fast-track some for interviews in September.
JPM - Same as BC.
MS - Same as BC.
NOM - Not sure.
RBS - Same as BC.
UBS - Hold an AC on the last day of the SW, and give out offers then.

Dont go through the summer recruiting cycle if you dont have to (ie. when applications open next August). If you have the luxury of choosing where you do your SWs, pick the bank that will fasttrack you soonest. If you get a summer offer off the back of one of your SWs and you decide to apply to other banks, having the offer will make you so much more attractive to the other banks, and you can leverage your offer to get more offers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zweihander
Protip to you guys applying for spring weeks. Dont underestimate how incredibly useful it is to get fast-tracked off your spring week and already have a summer offer a good year before you'll even start. Afaik the fast-track process for each banks is:

CS - Same as BC.
GS - Give out straight summer offers on the SW, and also fast-track some for interviews in September.
JPM - Same as BC.
MS - Same as BC.
NOM - Not sure.
RBS - Same as BC.

Dont go through the summer recruiting cycle if you dont have to (ie. when applications open next August). If you have the luxury of choosing where you do your SWs, pick the bank that will fasttrack you soonest. If you get a summer offer off the back of one of your SWs and you decide to apply to other banks, having the offer will make you so much more attractive to the other banks, and you can leverage your offer to get more offers.

Out of rep at the moment, but a big thanks for that!
Reply 234
Is it worth going to the banking presentations etc? It may sound like a stupid question but I'm curious as to how much networking opportunity there actually is and whether it has any impact on my application.

CS - Same as BC.
JPM - Same as BC.
MS - Same as BC.
NOM - Not sure.
RBS - Same as BC.

Top advice, would rep if I could but apparently I already have before.
Reply 236

CS - Same as BC.
JPM - Same as BC.
MS - Same as BC.
NOM - Not sure.
RBS - Same as BC.

Thanks for that, v useful info to know. Do you know (roughly from your experience) how many people get fast tracked from their SWs - obviously it depends on each bank though I know...? Also where you've said there's an interview or ac, does everyone on SW get this interview and ac? Thanks for any info
Original post by eco1234
Thanks for that, v useful info to know. Do you know (roughly from your experience) how many people get fast tracked from their SWs - obviously it depends on each bank though I know...? Also where you've said there's an interview or ac, does everyone on SW get this interview and ac? Thanks for any info

Yes, everyone on the spring week is invited to interview/AC, except for Goldman.
Reply 238
If on(starting) a 4 year course because of a placement year would it be instant rejection if I put graduation in 2015 or shall I just put 2014 as I am willing to cancel the placement year anyway if I get the spring week converted....
Reply 239
Yes, everyone on the spring week is invited to interview/AC, except for Goldman.

Not true. BNP Paribas require you to complete a further online application with competency questions and psychometric tests. Also, BNP Paribas fast-track assessment centre is in June/July.

Latest

Trending

Trending