The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sonny_J_D
Buffy The Vampire Slayer? But I know what you mean - this is just a way of remaking Quantum Leap without having to wrangle with the original creators...

The Buffy TV series was much more true to Whedon's original vision, to be fair.

Stargate is another example of a TV series that was much more successful than the film.
Original post by Abiraleft

Spoiler

Also, just watched The Godfather Part III. No debates about superiority there. :tongue:

Spoiler

And yeah lol. Have you heard of / seen anything about The Godfather TV series? I'd quite like to see it... it's the first 2 films rearranged chronologically and split into "episodes"...
Reply 4302
Original post by cadaeibfeceh

Spoiler

And yeah lol. Have you heard of / seen anything about The Godfather TV series? I'd quite like to see it... it's the first 2 films rearranged chronologically and split into "episodes"...

Spoiler

I haven't, no. What a shameless exploitation of art. :facepalm2:

Also, is it extremely obscure? I can't find any mention of it on Wikipedia...
Original post by vitamortis
Los Cronocrimenes. Total mind-****. :eek4:

Indeed it is although thankfully not to the extent of Primer. It is certainly a film that warrants another viewing. And it's a hidden gem which doesn't get many mentions. They are currently discussing doing an English remake (Tom Cruise was rumoured). Often such films don't translate well.

Original post by Christien
They're bringing back Quantum Leap? :excited:

Seriously though, obviously stupid idea, especially as Duncan Jones is in no way involved. Besides MASH and In the Heat of the Night (and possibly another I might be forgetting, I dunno), film-to-tv adaptations rarely, if ever, work out. They tried to make a series of Casablanca. They tried the same with Catch-22. Monstrous failures on both accounts.

Very true. I think the Star Wars TV series is lost in the ether as well. It's a good concept (and evidently such a TV series would have the concept at its core) but it seems like the concept which can get boring past a few stories and episodes. A bit like Lie to Me, which has become a bit of a dull show past the first series. And lastly, there is such a high chance it would be cancelled before it got to series 2.

I haven't watched Quantum Leap though but at a glance, even that seems like a concept with a much wider scope than what we have here.

Spoiler

I haven't, no. What a shameless exploitation of art. :facepalm2:

Also, is it extremely obscure? I can't find any mention of it on Wikipedia...

Spoiler

And I don't know... I just found it on IMDb a few years ago.
Reply 4305

And I don't know... I just found it on IMDb a few years ago.

Ah, as a fundraiser for Apocalypse Now. Which is another film I need to see soon. Funny, The Godfather was the first Coppola film I watched. :colondollar: I have Youth Without Youth somewhere on my shelf, but I've been put off by reviews of it so far. He also has a new film, Twixt, releasing this year and starring Val Kilmer; I wonder what that will be like.
Ah, as a fundraiser for Apocalypse Now. Which is another film I need to see soon. Funny, The Godfather was the first Coppola film I watched. :colondollar: I have Youth Without Youth somewhere on my shelf, but I've been put off by reviews of it so far. He also has a new film, Twixt, releasing this year and starring Val Kilmer; I wonder what that will be like.

Yeah, I saw Apocalypse Now in the cinema for the first time and WOW :love: and yeah I'll be interested to see Twixt... I hope he's not doing a Hitchcock and going downdownDOWNhill...
Reply 4307
Yeah, I saw Apocalypse Now in the cinema for the first time and WOW :love: and yeah I'll be interested to see Twixt... I hope he's not doing a Hitchcock and going downdownDOWNhill...

Looking it up on Wikipedia now, apparently it also stars Elle Fanning (of Super 8 fame) and Tom Waits (whom I only know as a singer, tbh :colondollar:).
Reply 4308
"Gwyneth Paltrow is presenting Best Comedy Series... because her entire existence is a joke."
Haven't had time to watch a film in weeks. Hopefully should be able to remedy that soon.

unknownking321

Have you watched the ending of Entourage?
Accidentally posted this in the Tinker thread. :colondollar:

Terrible name for a new film. Not heard it talked about in here.

John Carter is a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). John Carter is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

Reply 4311
My lack of film watching lately has reached distressing levels. However, I spent a while on the Apple trailers site and like the look of these:

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Accidentally posted this in the Tinker thread. :colondollar:

Terrible name for a new film. Not heard it talked about in here.

Looks pretty good imo, agreed on the name though.

Next year should have a couple few decent - pretty good novel / comic book adaptations, incl The Hunger games and the other big comic book flicks
I just watched Eraserhead.

What the ****?

I thought Trainspotting had the creepiest baby. Man was I wrong.
Reply 4314
(edited 12 years ago)

No wonder, the first grossed $2,039,472,387 worldwide (the highest grossing film EVAR), doubtless they’ll turn it into a franchise and milk it dry. Needless to say, Cameron will be using $100 notes as toilet roll for the rest of his life. I personally didn’t like the first film, and am chastised for it frequently :moon:

EDIT: Looks like the popcorn seller will be using $100 notes as toilet roll as well, what a lucky guy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nucleolus

Original post by Nucleolus
No wonder, the first grossed $2,039,472,387 worldwide (the highest grossing film EVAR), doubtless they’ll turn it into a franchise and milk it dry. Needless to say, Cameron will be using $100 notes as toilet roll for the rest of his life. I personally didn’t like the first film, and am chastised for it frequently :moon:

To be fair to Cameron, he always intended the first film to just be the first glimpse of Pandora with later films going to other parts of the world (the second one is going to be set underwater, I believe), so it's not as if this is just a cash-in.

Also the figure you quoted is just from foreign sales. It made another $760m in the US. :p:
Original post by aja89

19 discs! Crikey.

The only big box set I've ever considered getting was the Matrix one they did, and that was only because I wanted to hear the audio commentary that some philosophers did for it.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Indeed it is although thankfully not to the extent of Primer. It is certainly a film that warrants another viewing. And it's a hidden gem which doesn't get many mentions. They are currently discussing doing an English remake (Tom Cruise was rumoured). Often such films don't translate well.

Los Cronocrimenes had a very interesting story concept, but it wasn't difficult to follow. I watched Primer last night and I have no idea what the film is about. I will watch it again tonight! And to be fair, it would be interesting to see how they translate it into a big-budget Hollywood film.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending