The Student Room Group

Performing Arts/Drama/Acting/etc Applicants 2012

Yes, it's early but I wanted to see if there's anyone else here considering applying for performance-related courses in 2012. Sorry if there's already a similar thread here.

So, I'm considering applying for -

BA Creative Studies (BANGOR) - It's like a mix of theatre and media.
BA Joint Honours Performance Arts & Film and Television studies (ABERYSTWYTH)
BA Acting (TRINITY ST DAVID)
BA Acting (BIRMINGHAM SCHOOL OF ACTING)

And then it's between Psychology at Bangor and Acting at MMU for my last choice, but I think it'll be Acting at MMU. The two I'm most hoping for are Creative Studies at Bangor, because it looks like a great course and it's only 40 minutes away from where I live, so it's the nearest University, or Acting at Camarthen, because it sounds like a great course and also it's only around 2 hours or so away.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am 100% sure that I want to go into acting, and so thats what i'm going to try to do come september time!! The birmingham school is amazing apparently but for me it's too far away.. unfortunately.
I'm trying for Rose Bruford, Guildhall School of Music & Drama, and a few others. Though the distance from home is a real worry. MMU is my favourite!! But its still so far!! Oh I want to go so bad..

I haven't researched Trinity St David before, whats it like? I hope it won't be too difficult to find a place somewhere, I know it's very competative sometimes.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by madders94
Yes, it's early but I wanted to see if there's anyone else here considering applying for performance-related courses in 2012. Sorry if there's already a similar thread here.

So, I'm considering applying for -

BA Creative Studies (BANGOR) - It's like a mix of theatre and media.
BA Joint Honours Performance Arts & Film and Television studies (ABERYSTWYTH)
BA Acting (TRINITY ST DAVID)
BA Acting (BIRMINGHAM SCHOOL OF ACTING)

And then it's between Psychology at Bangor and Acting at MMU for my last choice, but I think it'll be Acting at MMU. The two I'm most hoping for are Creative Studies at Bangor, because it looks like a great course and it's only 40 minutes away from where I live, so it's the nearest University, or Acting at Camarthen, because it sounds like a great course and also it's only around 2 hours or so away.

I am so jealous of you! I absolutely love drama, been in many plays and got full marks at GCSE and only need a small percentage in my final exam next week to get an A* at A2.

But I'm studying Philosophy at Uni :P

I just felt it would be too difficult to do well with a degree in the arts as isn't it something like 90% of all people with drama degrees are unemployed?

But, if you know it's something you want to go into, then good luck and I'm sure you'll do well :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by xSharnie
I am 100% sure that I want to go into acting, and so thats what i'm going to try to do come september time!! The birmingham school is amazing apparently but for me it's too far away.. unfortunately.
I'm trying for Rose Bruford, Guildhall School of Music & Drama, and a few others. Though the distance from home is a real worry. MMU is my favourite!! But its still so far!! Oh I want to go so bad..

I haven't researched Trinity St David before, whats it like? I hope it won't be too difficult to find a place somewhere, I know it's very competative sometimes.

Good luck :smile:

My Drama teacher says TSD is much easier to get into than some of the others like RWCMD, because rather than being a specialized performing university, it's an Acting course in a general university, similar to MMU. She knows many people who went there and have done well - and I trust my drama teacher, she taught Duffy (the singer) and also plenty of people who've gone on to be in professional touring and west end theatre. However, Trinity doesn't have much of a social scene from what I've heard and is a really small Uni. I'm going to the open day July 8th, I'll let you know what it's like :smile:

I'd have loved to try for Guildhall or GSA, but they're so far away and I want to be able to come home for at least some or most weekends. LIPA is probably the furthest I'll consider, but I'm eager to have a look at LIPA, MMU and Birmingham School of Acting.
Reply 4
Original post by madders94
My Drama teacher says TSD is much easier to get into than some of the others like RWCMD, because rather than being a specialized performing university, it's an Acting course in a general university, similar to MMU. She knows many people who went there and have done well - and I trust my drama teacher, she taught Duffy (the singer) and also plenty of people who've gone on to be in professional touring and west end theatre. However, Trinity doesn't have much of a social scene from what I've heard and is a really small Uni. I'm going to the open day July 8th, I'll let you know what it's like :smile:

I'd have loved to try for Guildhall or GSA, but they're so far away and I want to be able to come home for at least some or most weekends. LIPA is probably the furthest I'll consider, but I'm eager to have a look at LIPA, MMU and Birmingham School of Acting.

Ohh! That'd be awesome if you could let me know! I've also found an acting course in Bournemouth Arts Universirty, and Northampton University! Bournemouth seems very promising, with 80 people on Castingcallpro registered as having gone there. (It's one way i judge how good the course is :P) And it's not so far away from me. I don't know if they'd be useful for you to look at, but I loved the idea of being in a diverse University rather than just a performing arts institute like you said.

:smile: Cheers for the reply! xxx
Reply 5
Hiya, I'm appling to Italia Conti, RWCMD, CSSD, Guildhall and thinking of LAMDA as well.

Anyone auditioned for these schools before? How much international are they? (I'm concerned as an ESL/EU person)
Reply 6
Hello all, its that time of year again - and on the contrary, I wouldn't say it's too early to start this thread - preperation must be underway!!

So I figured I would introduce myself by telling you all my ridiculous and hopefully mildly amusing story.

I'm female, 19 and after finishing school in 2008 decided to study english lit and abandon all dreams of drama school for fear of rejection and practicality. So after getting into Warwick and Cambridge (I should have been pleased, right?), the day before I was due to start uni at Cambridge - I whimped out. It wasn't what I wanted to do - and there was no way in hell that I could afford to do both a uni degree and go to drama school. So last year I applied to drama school....

After paying the £45 quid to 4 drama schools and sending off my applications a day before the deadline - I only managed to pluck up the courage to go to one audition - LAMDA. And what did I do? Well I'll tell you. I walked straight past the blasted building - looked at all the current student portfolio pictures in all their black and white glory and....nothing. I shook my head in panic for 20 minutes and went back to the car and drove home. My fear of rejection was worse than I thought.

*gulp* so I'm trying again this year!

LAMDA, RADA, Mountview Bristol Old Vic, and toying with the idea of some others...
Reply 7
Thanks for sharing your story! We all have one, it's so interesting to hear what others have to say! I've my story on my blog http://lenkasactingjourney.blogspot.com

Nice choices! And yes, you are right, preparation is the key, when you are prepared, you need no worry! This year you will rock the auditions! :smile:
Reply 8
I've started a blog where I'm interviewing actors who auditioned at drama schools. The aim of the blog is to help future auditionees to demystify the whole process. If you think you would like to share your experience, please contact me at dramaschoolsatgmail.com

Check out the blog here: http://insidedramaschoolauditions.blogspot.com/
Reply 9
Heyy, I'm going to KCL to do Spanish and English this year but I'm also auditioning because I figure that I'll probably have finished my degree before I get accepted anywhere lol. Applying for (BA) Acting and Contemporary Theatreto East 15, LAMDA, Central St Martin's Drama Centre, RADA, Rose Bruford, LIPA etc etc. Hope to see you down the auditions people.. good luck (: xxx
Reply 10
I'm going to be applying this year aswell! How many schools are most people applying to? I've narrowed down to 8!
I'm 19 and I also applied last year with no luck. Very excited to be starting the rounds again this year though! How is everyone going with monologues etc? I think I've got modern pretty much sorted but can't settle on a Shakespeare and know I'll need more!
Ahhh here once again,
Applied last year(well this year; last audition was less than 6 mnths ago lol) with no luck,only applied for 2 schools.

Schools I'm applying to this time round
RADA
Central
Guildhall
Drama Centre
Bristol Old Vic
And Lamda

All ba acting course, also I'm not going to apply them all at once! I only work part time haha..

All the best to everyone applying this year! I shall keep updating here after each audition :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
This is my first time applying and I'm one of those naive people who doesn't have a clue about what's in store. I'm completely baffled about monologue choices and I think I've sorted out Shakespeare but I'm clueless when it comes to finding a contemporary monologue and the more advice I look for on it, the harder I'm finding it to get one.

Either way, I'm applying for BA Acting at:
Birmingham School of Acting
Central
East 15
LIPA
LAMDA
Man Met
RADA

Best of luck to everyone applying this year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Another year, another go at the auditions process! *Sighs*

BA Acting:
Rada
Lamda

BA Directing:
Drama Centre London

Good luck, folks and let the acting commence!
Original post by LabyrinthWonder
Another year, another go at the auditions process! *Sighs*

BA Acting:
Rada
Lamda

BA Directing:
Drama Centre London

Good luck, folks and let the acting commence!

Hey,
How comes you applying for only two this year?
Original post by Thugnificent.
Hey,
How comes you applying for only two this year?

Hello!

I guess its just two as they are the two I REAAALLLLYYYY want to go to and am very passionate about (yet so damn difficult to get into, they are like the Oxbridge of acting schools!)

What for and where are you applying to? :smile:
Reply 17
I'm just applying to the one - Theatre, Television and Performance at Glyndwr University, because I've decided I'd like to edge more into the realms of Theatre In Education, or drama therapy rather than straight acting, and the course at Glyndwr is perfect for that.
Original post by LabyrinthWonder
Hello!

I guess its just two as they are the two I REAAALLLLYYYY want to go to and am very passionate about (yet so damn difficult to get into, they are like the Oxbridge of acting schools!)

What for and where are you applying to? :smile:

Oh ok :smile:, I auditioned for RADA this year and managed to get to the third round, but I remeber going for my 1st round and the woman said 'We have over 3300 applicants this year, but dont worry!"... I was like 'dont worry?!' :eek::confused:..but yes its very competitive..I posted the schools i'm applying for on this thread just scroll up lol
Original post by Thugnificent.
Oh ok :smile:, I auditioned for RADA this year and managed to get to the third round, but I remeber going for my 1st round and the woman said 'We have over 3300 applicants this year, but dont worry!"... I was like 'dont worry?!' :eek::confused:..but yes its very competitive..I posted the schools i'm applying for on this thread just scroll up lol

Oh. Dear. God. That is INSANE. But bloody well done on getting to the third round, that is an achievement in itself!

Saw the schools you have applied for - Good luck and I might see you there. (Expect a nervous redhead muttering lines to herself...)

Quick Reply