The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tbh I actually want to find out early. If I get rejections. at least I will know and can then put them to one side and just concentrate on my exams. Though that is easier said than done tbh
Original post by Tateco
Not yet, I hope it will be an A though if Maths is an A*!

Have you got your predictions too?

yes it will be as that result is the only thing your school/college has to base the prediction on.
Original post by Tateco
Not yet, I hope it will be an A though if Maths is an A*!

Have you got your predictions too?

Yea I am predicted 1.1 in my German Abitur (scale is from 1.0-4.0 with 1.0 being the best score) and I've got a A* prediction is A Level Maths as well :smile: Hope that'll be enough to at least get one offer :tongue:
Reply 3063
hi everyone,

i want to apply for the economics and philosophy course at the following unis (typical offer in brackets):
manchester (ABB)
leeds (AAB)
southampton (AAB)
cardiff (AAB)
sheffield (AAB)
possibly ucl (AAA) or bristol (A*AA-ABB)

at AS my grades were A - history, B - economics, and Cs in maths and politics.
this year i am dropping politics and am predicted AAB for next year (b in maths).

taking into consideration my AS grades and my predicted grades, am i likely to recieve any offers for the abouve mentioned universities?

also, will the fact that i have no relevant work experience hinder my application?

thanks a lot,
Original post by ugk4life
hi everyone,

i want to apply for the economics and philosophy course at the following unis (typical offer in brackets):
manchester (ABB)
leeds (AAB)
southampton (AAB)
cardiff (AAB)
sheffield (AAB)
possibly ucl (AAA) or bristol (A*AA-ABB)

at AS my grades were A - history, B - economics, and Cs in maths and politics.
this year i am dropping politics and am predicted AAB for next year (b in maths).

taking into consideration my AS grades and my predicted grades, am i likely to recieve any offers for the abouve mentioned universities?

also, will the fact that i have no relevant work experience hinder my application?

thanks a lot,

probs manchester seeing ur AS grades are near entry. but maths is required right? C in maths is pretty damaging :/
Reply 3065
Original post by alittlehelp
Just created a thread for this but thought I'd get more advice here, so if anyone can help, then please do :smile:

I know i can't get into a top uni without AS Level Maths and Psychology may be seen as weak but I have AAB In Psychology Economics and Geography and will be predicted A*AA or A*A*A, would i have a chance applying to Surrey, Royal Holloway, Sussex? And since Nottingham don't ask for A level maths, although it's preferred would it be worth a shot?

Any advice on what choices would be good if you don't agree or just general suggestions?

If they don't ask for maths then yeah with your predictions you have a pretty good chance.
Original post by LukeWz
If they don't ask for maths then yeah with your predictions you have a pretty good chance.

cheers.
Original post by Mousebudden
Did you get a response mate?

"Thank you for your email regarding application for admission to the Economics L100 course at UCL.

I can confirm that we will require the UMS scores in order to consider an application and this information should be included in the GCE AS unit section of the UCAS form."

Tells us what we already know, doesn't really help. Groat explained earlier how to declare UMS after the application is sent :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Also, what format shall the offer thread be?

No discussion?

University:
Course code:
Offer:

?

If you want ot keep it to no discussion then you should include:

GCSE's:
AS:
A2 (achieved/predictions):
Because when people get offers then they are often asked for the above details.
Otherwise, I would say its a good idea. The alternative would be to post it on this thread which I don't see a problem with.
^That format may also help future applicants gauge their chances.
Reply 3070
Original post by economyst
If you want ot keep it to no discussion then you should include:

GCSE's:
AS:
A2 (achieved/predictions):
Because when people get offers then they are often asked for the above details.
Otherwise, I would say its a good idea. The alternative would be to post it on this thread which I don't see a problem with.

I was thinking questions like that could be directed towards this thread, and the other thread would literally be as a log for all the offers, so people know when they can expect them?
It's up to you.
It would just be more convinient if it was all in one place rather than asking them to post it on another thread.
Original post by Tateco
I was thinking questions like that could be directed towards this thread, and the other thread would literally be as a log for all the offers, so people know when they can expect them?

I rather like your idea. Because if we post them on here, they will get lost because there will be like one or two offer postings a week and the rest is general discussions. A seperate thread would provide us with a clear overview of those who got offers :smile:
Reply 3073
Original post by nightmare91
I rather like your idea. Because if we post them on here, they will get lost because there will be like one or two offer postings a week and the rest is general discussions. A seperate thread would provide us with a clear overview of those who got offers :smile:

It's up to you.
It would just be more convinient if it was all in one place rather than asking them to post it on another thread.

Yeah I'm just worried if I say the format should be with GCSEs and AS levels then people might not want to post, we can direct discussion to this thread or encourage people to PM people if they are concerned about it.
Have people decided the 5 unis theyre applying to yet?
Ive decide; warwick, exeter, nottingham, cambridge and not sure (probably southampton)
It's up to you.

THIS. If I'm honest, as a future applicant I'd love it all in one place.
Reply 3076
Started the other thread, put the academic section in so people can write about if they want to!
Just to confirm, where are People putting their ums scores for ucl?
Reply 3078
Original post by Mousebudden
Just to confirm, where are People putting their ums scores for ucl?

Other box
Does anyone here know whether a straight Economics course or a joint course with Economics and another subject is more competitive? Or which course has more placements in general?

I just read the post on L100 has 180 places in ucl, while L101 has only 20 places - but then again L100 might be more competitive as it gets more applicants. I'm wondering whether Economics or Economics and Finance has more places in most universities, hope someone can enlighten me here! Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending