The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Swell
So i'll get 6 more weeks? It'll 'reset' in a sense?

Ta :smile:

Yeah, 6 new weeks to use. You'll have to use whatever holiday you have now before then :smile:
Reply 9561
Original post by Swell
So i'll get 6 more weeks? It'll 'reset' in a sense?

Ta :smile:

I didn't read the previous post, but i'm going to assume it was a question about holiday entitlement. Your only entitled to holiday for the time you have actually worked. If you leave and you owe the holiday pay, your final payslip will be deducted to take this into consideration.

If your post isn't what I think it is, sorry :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by KatrinaLou
I booked it around March. Maybe even February.

Ah ok.

I'll have to chase it up tomorrow

It seems I spoke too soon! I got a call from them today and basically the same thing happened to me, i.e., I booked and got holiday but it wasn't on their rota. Apparently its something to do with me leaving but not leaving at the same time as other VAC students? I don't really get it to be honest.
Even though it is really not my fault, it is quite awkward cos they are now short staffed and I think they want me to come, but I can't as I'm actually off on holiday! And they also said I might not get money for this holiday, if I'm not entitled which I don't care THAT much about, but still.
Not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow - I mean call them just to say I'm not coming whether or not you give me money? But they kind of know that already! And now I'm worried this might reflect badly on me, even though it really is not my fault, cos I'm actually 90% sure that I am probably entitled to this anyway considering how many hours I've worked.
I have just finished induction and have a few questions. ps (starting on counters)

1. How does clocking in and out work?

2. If I am 10 mins early should I clock in? will I be payed for being 10 mins early?

3. My contract hours are wed,thurs,friday but I was left a note to come in for one tuesday, (next week) to see what my routines are, Is this considered overtime? Do I clock in stating that its overtime? How do I know I'm on the system to work tuesday?

4. Who controls wages at my sainsburys? The store itself?

5. Who do I receive my payslip from?

6. Where do I find my schedule in the store?

THANKS !!
Original post by lufc1992uk
I have just finished induction and have a few questions. ps (starting on counters)

1. How does clocking in and out work?

2. If I am 10 mins early should I clock in? will I be payed for being 10 mins early?

3. My contract hours are wed,thurs,friday but I was left a note to come in for one tuesday, (next week) to see what my routines are, Is this considered overtime? Do I clock in stating that its overtime? How do I know I'm on the system to work tuesday?

4. Who controls wages at my sainsburys? The store itself?

5. Who do I receive my payslip from?

6. Where do I find my schedule in the store?

THANKS !!

1 - I don't know exactly how clocking in/out works but I think that when you clock in your numbers appear on the DAZ. HR will then look at this and then make sure you're paid for those hours. I think its probably to make sure people who work a lot of overtime or work on different departments get their proper wage

2- You should clock in right before you start working. You can start early if you want but you won't get any extra money for it.

3- Tuesday will be overtime. We were told to always hit no on the clock in machine when asked about overtime though. I think only people who have been there years and get extra for overtime are supposed to hit yes.

4- I think its the store itself. Not 100% though.

5- Depends on your store I think. HR always give ours to our department manager so we get it there but you might have to go there directly.

6- Our schedules are beside our clock in machine but our department manager keeps a record too (unless we're working on another department). Your store is probably similar.
Original post by Debbie2709
1 - I don't know exactly how clocking in/out works but I think that when you clock in your numbers appear on the DAZ. HR will then look at this and then make sure you're paid for those hours. I think its probably to make sure people who work a lot of overtime or work on different departments get their proper wage

2- You should clock in right before you start working. You can start early if you want but you won't get any extra money for it.

3- Tuesday will be overtime. We were told to always hit no on the clock in machine when asked about overtime though. I think only people who have been there years and get extra for overtime are supposed to hit yes.

4- I think its the store itself. Not 100% though.

5- Depends on your store I think. HR always give ours to our department manager so we get it there but you might have to go there directly.

6- Our schedules are beside our clock in machine but our department manager keeps a record too (unless we're working on another department). Your store is probably similar.

Thanks! Still not sure where I'm supposed to go, haven't been told which counter I'm on yet! they're useless!!
Pressing yes for overtime when you clock out does nothing other than put two stars next to your name on the DAS. As all clocking in and out is manually checked the following day and paid accordingly, you'd still be paid for any overtime shift you've worked even if you don't press yes.
Reply 9567
do you get paid for induction? And is it the same rate as your normal wage?
Reply 9568
Yeah you get paid for induction at the same as your normal wage :smile:
I've got a question again, woop. Right well the store near my mum is recruiting but I live nowhere near there. If I put down that I live at her's, will it be a problem? I mean to be honest - it's like an hour trip to Beaconsfield from where I live including buses and it's two days a week (Friday and Saturday) and I badly need a second job if I'm doing a stupid apprenticeship. I mean I'd probably crash at her's on the Friday night and go home on the Saturday since the tube still runs from Amersham at 8pm.
I got told that I scored 75% on a shop floor MCM last week and it basically said everything I did was right, I politely greeted the customer, showed the customer to the product and whilst walking them there I was asking if there was any certain type of the product they were looking for, asked if there was anything else I could help them with when they'd finished and then said bye and went back to what I was doing. Yet I scored 75% and the big black mark they pointed out was that I wasn't friendly, which is a bit of a shocker to me as I thought I always talked to customers in a friendly manner and thought being polite (a word they actually used when describing how I greeted and spoke to them) kind of went hand in hand with being friendly as I thought it was pretty difficult to be unfriendly and polite or friendly and impolite. That put a bit of a downer on my week anyway, bit gutted really as I always try really hard with things like that and get along with all of my collegues in the store and to have some mystery customer taking a quarter of the marks off the overall score and putting it down to me being unfriendly after I did everything perfectly is a bit of a kick in the face. So yup now I'm being told to smile more, I thought I smiled a lot anyway but obviously I mustn't smile nearly as much as I think I do. Since being told about this I am a bit on edge with customers coming over and asking me where things are now as I keep thinking if I mess up again I'm going to be in a big amount of trouble even though in reality I didn't technically do anything wrong last time so yeah it's turned me into more of a bag of nerves now and has me doing smiles to customers who approach me whilst thinking I hope I don't look like I'm crazy or I hope I'm not creeping customers out. Anyone else had any MCM experiences? I'm just wondering what'll happen if I get another one and don't get a 100% on that too. I feel like I've let everyone in the store down with this and felt pretty bad when getting told about it by the manager as he's always been really cool with me and was even really nice when he was telling me about this. He said he thought it was pretty harsh and he said I am a really good worker as I put in 100% all of the time and am the best person on our aisle but if I didn't get 100% on the next MCM (if I get another one done to me) things might have to get a bit more serious.
Original post by The Narrator
I got told that I scored 75% on a shop floor MCM last week and it basically said everything I did was right, I politely greeted the customer, showed the customer to the product and whilst walking them there I was asking if there was any certain type of the product they were looking for, asked if there was anything else I could help them with when they'd finished and then said bye and went back to what I was doing. Yet I scored 75% and the big black mark they pointed out was that I wasn't friendly, which is a bit of a shocker to me as I thought I always talked to customers in a friendly manner and thought being polite (a word they actually used when describing how I greeted and spoke to them) kind of went hand in hand with being friendly as I thought it was pretty difficult to be unfriendly and polite or friendly and impolite. That put a bit of a downer on my week anyway, bit gutted really as I always try really hard with things like that and get along with all of my collegues in the store and to have some mystery customer taking a quarter of the marks off the overall score and putting it down to me being unfriendly after I did everything perfectly is a bit of a kick in the face. So yup now I'm being told to smile more, I thought I smiled a lot anyway but obviously I mustn't smile nearly as much as I think I do. Since being told about this I am a bit on edge with customers coming over and asking me where things are now as I keep thinking if I mess up again I'm going to be in a big amount of trouble even though in reality I didn't technically do anything wrong last time so yeah it's turned me into more of a bag of nerves now and has me doing smiles to customers who approach me whilst thinking I hope I don't look like I'm crazy or I hope I'm not creeping customers out. Anyone else had any MCM experiences? I'm just wondering what'll happen if I get another one and don't get a 100% on that too. I feel like I've let everyone in the store down with this and felt pretty bad when getting told about it by the manager as he's always been really cool with me and was even really nice when he was telling me about this. He said he thought it was pretty harsh and he said I am a really good worker as I put in 100% all of the time and am the best person on our aisle but if I didn't get 100% on the next MCM (if I get another one done to me) things might have to get a bit more serious.

I completely understand this. I had an observation on Sunday and got told I did everything right but that the Mystery Shopper might think I'm being 'robotic.' :rolleyes: Bit hard not to be when you're serving customer after customer and have to ask them all the same questions. Anyways, don't take it personally. The Mystery Shopper just looks for excuses to fail people.
Although, if it makes you feel better, someone in my store got -25% on checkouts. They didn't say hello/goobye, ask for a nectar card, give bag reuse points, and were rude when they were asked about an offer. I don't think anything happened them though...
Reply 9572

Thats good for you 75%. I think they dont give a 2nd chance, if you dont get things right then your fired! This is now worrying me....
Reply 9573
I completely understand this. I had an observation on Sunday and got told I did everything right but that the Mystery Shopper might think I'm being 'robotic.' :rolleyes: Bit hard not to be when you're serving customer after customer and have to ask them all the same questions. Anyways, don't take it personally. The Mystery Shopper just looks for excuses to fail people.
Although, if it makes you feel better, someone in my store got -25% on checkouts. They didn't say hello/goobye, ask for a nectar card, give bag reuse points, and were rude when they were asked about an offer. I don't think anything happened them though...

So the MCM could be anyone? the store plan it to test you??? Btw do they tell you or something or do they randomly do it? I just started on the check-outs, wonder when I will be tested?
Original post by hasm
So the MCM could be anyone? the store plan it to test you??? Btw do they tell you or something or do they randomly do it? I just started on the check-outs, wonder when I will be tested?

Yeah, it could be anyone. They don't tell you they're doing it but they come in every two weeks. They just randomly pick a till when they come in so you might never get tested, I don't think I have been in over two years.
Reply 9575

Yeah, it could be anyone. They don't tell you they're doing it but they come in every two weeks. They just randomly pick a till when they come in so you might never get tested, I don't think I have been in over two years.

Do they hire someone random or is it a few people in the store who have the role of a MCM?
Reply 9576
Original post by hasm
Thats good for you 75%. I think they dont give a 2nd chance, if you dont get things right then your fired! This is now worrying me....

they will re-train you if you don't get a good MCM score, they don't use MCM an excuse to fire people it is to make sure customers are given a good service.

the part of the shopfloor interaction i don't do is offer an alternative when something they wanted is out of stock, like if a customer wanted a £4.78 basics kettle and rss says I have none and there is no scheduled delivery date for the next 2 weeks then i'm supposed to offer a £30 kettle? right. most customers would give me a funny look trying to flog them something that is over 5x more than they wanted to pay.
Reply 9577
Original post by hasm
Do they hire someone random or is it a few people in the store who have the role of a MCM?

MCM is done by an independant company. so that results are fair (or not) without any bias.
Reply 9578
Original post by mug51
they will re-train you if you don't get a good MCM score, they don't use MCM an excuse to fire people it is to make sure customers are given a good service.

the part of the shopfloor interaction i don't do is offer an alternative when something they wanted is out of stock, like if a customer wanted a £4.78 basics kettle and rss says I have none and there is no scheduled delivery date for the next 2 weeks then i'm supposed to offer a £30 kettle? right. most customers would give me a funny look trying to flog them something that is over 5x more than they wanted to pay.

Original post by mug51
MCM is done by an independant company. so that results are fair (or not) without any bias.

ok. So what if you are on probationary period (12 weeks) after which they decide to keep you on further, would failing the MCM make you fail the probationary period. Also is it easy to pass probationary p?
Original post by hasm
ok. So what if you are on probationary period (12 weeks) after which they decide to keep you on further, would failing the MCM make you fail the probationary period. Also is it easy to pass probationary p?

It would probably be looked down upon by your manager if you failed an MCM in your probation period. When deciding whether or not to confirm someone after probation period it will depend on a number of factors, not only customer service (although that is important). I set targets at the reviews and if they have hit the targets that I have set (or have gone a significant way to hit those targets) I sign them off. I would only non-confirm someone if I had set them targets and they had made absolutely no effort in achieving them and/or they had done something seriously wrong e.g. been brand damaging on MCM.

Latest

Trending

Trending