The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by armador
Depends entirely on your hall of residence. The only "guaranteed" stuff for everyone is FRESH, which typically runs thursday-friday, and the woodland road BBQ (free BBQ is awesome) during daytime. In the evenings, a lot of societies like to do their own events, and halls do quite a bit of stuff too. Best place to look is on your residence website (I know that CHH has their full freshers plan already up on their site, for example).

Study-related stuff will include your faculty registration/meetings at some point in that time as well as some other stuff depending on your degree choice.

What is FRESH? (:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 1981
Original post by loxemori
What is FRESH? (:

Have you been to Bristol? If yes, picture the Students' Union crammed full of people. That's FRESH. I personally hate it because I dislike huge pointless crowds. :biggrin:

FRESH is where all the student societies hang out to try to get new members to join (especially freshers). There's also a few stands done by the police and uni security and that kind of stuff, but essentially, it's the "discover student societies" fair. Don't get me wrong on the first paragraph, it was awesome the first year to get to know what's available through student societies. It's just that four years of it... :s-smilie:
Reply 1982
Original post by martyp417
ohhhh i see, thankyou! Bristol was my insurance so i dont know my accommodation yet =)

If you're in a hall, you'll get tons of stuff to do. And if you're in CHH, do give me a poke when you're there, as I'll be living down there :tongue:
Original post by armador
If you're in a hall, you'll get tons of stuff to do. And if you're in CHH, do give me a poke when you're there, as I'll be living down there :tongue:

cool, i will =)
Reply 1984
Original post by armador
Have you been to Bristol? If yes, picture the Students' Union crammed full of people. That's FRESH. I personally hate it because I dislike huge pointless crowds. :biggrin:

FRESH is where all the student societies hang out to try to get new members to join (especially freshers). There's also a few stands done by the police and uni security and that kind of stuff, but essentially, it's the "discover student societies" fair. Don't get me wrong on the first paragraph, it was awesome the first year to get to know what's available through student societies. It's just that four years of it... :s-smilie:

Oh is it the same as the Freshers' Fair? *disappointed*
"FRESH" sounds so much more exciting

are you a second year?
Reply 1985
Oh is it the same as the Freshers' Fair? *disappointed*
"FRESH" sounds so much more exciting

are you a second year?

Technically, fifth. Went on medical leave due to depression in the middle of last year - and I'm essentially finishing up what I couldn't do last year in 2011-12.
So, in practice, fourth. :tongue:

And yeah, Fresher's fair is the long name for FRESH. Don't miss out on the free burgers provided by the CU during week 0, by the way - that's always the highlight of fresher's week and the reason why people outside uni in Clifton hate the christian union for that week. Sooo many people on one street :colondollar:
Reply 1986
Original post by armador
Technically, fifth. Went on medical leave due to depression in the middle of last year - and I'm essentially finishing up what I couldn't do last year in 2011-12.

And yeah, Fresher's fair is the long name for FRESH. Don't miss out on the free burgers provided by the CU during week 0, by the way - that's always the highlight of fresher's week and the reason why people outside uni in Clifton hate the christian union for that week. Sooo many people on one street :colondollar:

Ah I'm sorry to hear that ):

Haha, will try not to miss out on the free burgers! Thanks for the info :]
Reply 1987
Ah I'm sorry to hear that ):

**** happens. Shame all that happened due to two ERASMUS students, but you know.... life's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Haha, will try not to miss out on the free burgers! Thanks for the info :]

There's bound to be other cool stuff to do depending on which societies you join in week 0. It's very well worth joining as much stuff as possible if it's free, and the stuff you like if it isn't (with some caveats. Some societies are sickeningly expensive - but worth it. Likewise, some societies are really cheap - and bad value for money). You end up getting tons of emails from societies about socials during week 0 - 2, and then it usually calms down a bit.

Also, there are usually LOTS of pub crawls starting in halls. You usually find that the cori tap is completely jam-packed full of students even in early afternoon, along with all the pubs and places on whiteladies. And people in blocks usually go out together in the first few weeks.
Original post by alfredjkwak
Looks like I found this thread a bit late, but I'll :smile: Applied to Badock and Churchill, anyone else?

i will doing Politics in this autumn too:biggrin:
Insurance choice, having to currently try and find private, it's so stressful :frown:

Doing Archaeology
Reply 1990
Original post by armador

Heeey sucks about you having to repeat your final year, sorry :frown:

but you seem to know a lot about freshers so I have a question :smile: I've bought a icket for the freshers party, and just found out the theme is 80s...I was wondering if anyone even dresses up? I bought a new dress (that I reaaalllly want to wear) for the party, but it isn't even vaugely 80s themed! I don't want to be a part pooper, but I also don't want to be the only one dressed up!
Reply 1991
Original post by gammy
Heeey sucks about you having to repeat your final year, sorry :frown:

**** happens (as you'll find out soon enough, life at uni isn't all about the good bits, especially in the later years where you have to choose flatmates... I made the wrong choices and paid the price). But hey, it just means I get to have another go at being in a hall of residence (royally screwed my first year up) so it's all good :biggrin:

but you seem to know a lot about freshers so I have a question :smile: I've bought a icket for the freshers party, and just found out the theme is 80s...I was wondering if anyone even dresses up? I bought a new dress (that I reaaalllly want to wear) for the party, but it isn't even vaugely 80s themed! I don't want to be a part pooper, but I also don't want to be the only one dressed up!

There usually are no strict bouncers or stuff like that. Don't worry too much, but try to loosely stay in the theme. It's not terribly difficult to turn anything into an 80s-ish thing (remember: the 80s isn't just hippies. It's also mods, exhuberant clothing and a lot of silly trends that people forget in favour of the whole hippy thing). :colone:
Original post by armador

Oh I loved those free burgers! I'm hoping I get time to have some this year, though I think they might have given up trying to convert me by now and send me away :frown:
Computing - Unconditional!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Johnson Ruan
Computing - Unconditional!!!!!!!!!

I think you need the 2012 applicants thread...
Original post by Pheebs1201
I think you need the 2012 applicants thread...

Yup yup. Sorry.
Original post by Johnson Ruan
Yup yup. Sorry.

no worries :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending