The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4320
I watched Submarine today and thought it was excellent; I'm surprised it hasn't been talked about more. Some nifty editing and camera-work to go with a good script there.

Also, Clint Eastwood's latest offering looks fairly interesting:

I'm not too sure about the middle-aged make-up on Di Caprio, though. :tongue:
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I just watched Eraserhead.

What the ****?

I thought Trainspotting had the creepiest baby. Man was I wrong.

I know. :afraid:

How ****ing terrifying is the sound in the movie as well? Lynch is just a master of using sound in his films.
Once you've watched a David Lynch film, there's no going back.

Original post by Nucleolus
Needless to say, Cameron will be using $100 notes as toilet roll for the rest of his life.

And on occasion, whilst conducting his business on the lavatory seat, he'll reach for a $100 note and come across a $50 note instead and just throw it away in disgust.
Get really confused when people use my name.

It actually took me a minute to realise you were talking about James Cameron.
Original post by Madjackismad
I know. :afraid:

How ****ing terrifying is the sound in the movie as well? Lynch is just a master of using sound in his films.

*hides from Lynch*
Anyone going to see Jurassic Park in cinemas Friday?

I CAN'T WAIT!
Original post by ManBeast
Anyone going to see Jurassic Park in cinemas Friday?

I CAN'T WAIT!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS woooooooooooo :woo:
Why are they showing JP in cinemas this Friday....?
Original post by noggins
Why are they showing JP in cinemas this Friday....?

They're re-releasing it from Friday for a while to promote the Blu-Ray release.
Reply 4329
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." - Elizabeth Taylor
Reply 4330
I'm going to watch Blade Runner tonight, I'm hoping it's as good as everyone tells me :colonhash:. Wanted to watch Highlander but that plan fell through.
Interested in tinker tailor soldier spy. I guess we're expected to like it and it's generally presumed to be up for awards next year etc but regardless I want to watch it as if I didn't know that

btw anyone else seen Apollo 18? Heard like barely anyone talking about it
Original post by Deshi

Original post by Deshi
I'm going to watch Blade Runner tonight, I'm hoping it's as good as everyone tells me :colonhash:. Wanted to watch Highlander but that plan fell through.

Which version?
There's a lot of Fassbender love going on at the moment...

Tom Hardy: And as for Michael Fassbender, he was two years above me at drama centre, so we all grew up looking up to him, well my year anyway. He was the best actor of their year - one of them actually, there were two or three actors, but he was the shining star of that year. So Michael’s sort of territory, I come from the same school as him, but obviously he’s a bit better than I am.
Interviewer: Well you’re all having a great time.
Tom Hardy: Yeah more power to him, he’s a great actor.

“He was a really serious method actor and we used to watch him and think, ‘F--k, man! He’s the s--t!’” said Hardy. “He was in an Irish play about this guy who came back from the First World War who was a great athlete but ended up in a wheelchair, but at lunchtime he wouldn’t come out of character and was always in his wheelchair and we’d be like, ‘Dude! Just order your lunch and come along! We’ve got an hour before we have to go back to class!’” Hardy laughs and adds, “But he was the best actor in the school.”

If Gary Oldman praises you, then you MUST be good:

When Michael Fassbender accepted the best actor award at the Venice Film Festival last Sunday, he paid tribute to someone who might well have collected the prize himself. “I have been following Gary Oldman’s career since I was 14,” he said. “And I feel very, very humble tonight.” [...] When I ask Oldman if he might have some tips for the young Fassbender and the Hollywood machine of which he’s been a part for 20 years, his eyes twinkle. “I don’t think he needs any advice from me. I think he’s the *******s. The real deal. When I heard what he’d said about me, I thought, ‘Here’s back at you kid’.”
Reply 4334
Original post by Phalanges
Which version?

The Final cut. I actually didn't watch it in the end, I was like 15 minutes into the film and realised that I was more in the mood for an action film rather than something philosophical :colondollar:

Decided to catch up on Spooks instead. :colondollar:
I did all 5 versions of Blade Runner in a day on Sunday lol
To be fair to Cameron, he always intended the first film to just be the first glimpse of Pandora with later films going to other parts of the world (the second one is going to be set underwater, I believe), so it's not as if this is just a cash-in.

Also the figure you quoted is just from foreign sales. It made another $760m in the US. :p:

:gasp: I have to hand it to Cameron, generating that amount of money from a single film is praise worthy. I didn't know he had the sequels planned out already, the studio bosses must be rubbing their hands with delight!

Original post by Ape Gone Insane

And on occasion, whilst conducting his business on the lavatory seat, he'll reach for a $100 note and come across a $50 note instead and just throw it away in disgust.

And when Avatar 2 comes out and grosses $999,999,999,999,999,999 (etc) at the box office, he'll look back at the days when he was poor and had to use $100 bills as toilet paper, whilst wiping his ass with gold.
Reply 4337
I'm not even sure that Avatar 2 will surpass the first in box office takings. More or less everybody saw the first film, but a percentage (including me) didn't like it and won't be bothered about the sequel.

Plus, the price of a cinema ticket will be basically the same as when Avatar came out so inflation won't be an issue like it was with, for example, Harry Potter. The Philosopher's Stone still holds the medal for most popular Potter film by ticket sales alone.
Original post by aja89

Original post by aja89
I'm not even sure that Avatar 2 will surpass the first in box office takings. More or less everybody saw the first film, but a percentage (including me) didn't like it and won't be bothered about the sequel.

No, I wouldn't have thought it would. Avatar 2 will have a lot more competition in terms of Superman and The Hobbit, and the first film became an event - people would go to the cinema to see it because it was one of those things that everyone was doing, kind of like (to a much lesser extent) when Gnarls Barkley's Crazy got to number 1 in the charts based solely on downloads, and then everyone was buying it just to be a part of that.

I'm sure it will still turn a handsome profit though.
No, I wouldn't have thought it would. Avatar 2 will have a lot more competition in terms of Superman and The Hobbit, and the first film became an event - people would go to the cinema to see it because it was one of those things that everyone was doing, kind of like (to a much lesser extent) when Gnarls Barkley's Crazy got to number 1 in the charts based solely on downloads, and then everyone was buying it just to be a part of that.

I'm sure it will still turn a handsome profit though.

My goodness :eek: That sorry excuse for a song makes my ears bleed like you wouldn't believe. I have to get out the room sharpish, lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending