The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by U.Ahmed
Oh I understand it now. Thank you so much. This is a really good thread, very helpful and a very good idea to put it together.
Thanks.

Thanks and no problem!

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by paddy__power
It is worth contacting them and asking anyway especially if your university course has a maths element that is more difficult than FM whereby you can show that you are more capable than that. Never be afraid to ask them as the worst they can do is say no.

Oh its Economics so it shouldn't be too bad, but i did quite bad in A2 as in U's in modules :/
Reply 62
Original post by Iqbal007
Oh its Economics so it shouldn't be too bad, but i did quite bad in A2 as in U's in modules :/

I see. You will just have to present the best case you can and hope it goes your way then - you can't do any more than that :smile:
Reply 63
So generally speaking; would you say it was better to do a gap year and retake some modules/units to ensure you got the grades and then re-apply for first year entry or go to Uni and do well and attempt a second year entry even if your A level grades were slightly under?
Reply 64
Original post by ESAP
So generally speaking; would you say it was better to do a gap year and retake some modules/units to ensure you got the grades and then re-apply for first year entry or go to Uni and do well and attempt a second year entry even if your A level grades were slightly under?

The former, definitely.
Reply 65
Original post by ESAP

To add to the above. It depends on what is important to you though....
Reply 66
Any ideas for additions?

Shameless bump I know :tongue:

University Transfer FAQ

Hello.

I noticed that there have recently been a reasonably high volume of questions about this and, as I cannot be bothered to always make the kind of detailed replies that are appropriate, I thought it would be good to make this thread. Feel free to ask questions and make suggestions for improvements and additions because obviously the better this is the more useful it will be. It was written up very rapidly by me a little earlier and is subject to considerable editing at some point.

Let me know what you think please :smile:

Thanks

First steps and initial correspondence

Spoiler

Another first step (IME): speak to someone on your current course about what you're thinking of doing. In my case the head of Yr 1 happened to supervise the PhD of the admissions tutor of the university I wanted to approach. So instead of me cold calling(emailling) I knew the name of who to talk to and the head of my current year had already put in a good word for me and let them know my email was coming.

In then end I got an offer letter that said "we'd be happy to have you - please apply through UCAS to make it official" and so the entire UCAS form was a formality.

It wont always work out so well but most tutors will be supportive of someone who is unhappy and wants to transfer and it IS part of their job to help you. They might know more about which courses are compatable (or incompatable) through experience in admissions or as an external examiner at your future university and so save some time sending emails that get a firm "no" answer.

Note: I didn't approach my tutor, I didn't really get on with him very well. I approached the head of the year because I liked him and felt like he knew me. There's no hard and fast rule about who you should speak to but it does make sense to speak to SOMEONE.
Reply 68
Original post by PQ
Another first step (IME): speak to someone on your current course about what you're thinking of doing. In my case the head of Yr 1 happened to supervise the PhD of the admissions tutor of the university I wanted to approach. So instead of me cold calling(emailling) I knew the name of who to talk to and the head of my current year had already put in a good word for me and let them know my email was coming.

In then end I got an offer letter that said "we'd be happy to have you - please apply through UCAS to make it official" and so the entire UCAS form was a formality.

It wont always work out so well but most tutors will be supportive of someone who is unhappy and wants to transfer and it IS part of their job to help you. They might know more about which courses are compatable (or incompatable) through experience in admissions or as an external examiner at your future university and so save some time sending emails that get a firm "no" answer.

Note: I didn't approach my tutor, I didn't really get on with him very well. I approached the head of the year because I liked him and felt like he knew me. There's no hard and fast rule about who you should speak to but it does make sense to speak to SOMEONE.

Hey, thanks for the reply :smile:

That was some strong luck on your part! I agree it will generally be useful to approach somebody and talk about why you want to leave and will include that in that section, thanks. In my experience they try to persuade you to stay though which is annoying (but only wastes a few minutes when you say no, lol) and this does rather pre-suppose that your reason for wanting to transfer is primarily academic with regard to needing the advice about courses. Irrespective of how useful it ends up being though it certainly can't hurt - especially as you will have to have a very similar conversation when it comes to getting a reference anyway(!), assuming not everyone has perfect connections like yourself :tongue:

I will have a think about the best way to word this - I will probably state it as the first thing to do after choosing prospective courses and such which I should also include actually! I need to alter a few other things as well which I will do later so if you have any other suggestions don't hesitate as I understand that everyone's experiences differ and my knowledge stems from only a handful of cases (directly) :smile:
Just a small bump.
Reply 70
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Just a small bump.

Complete coincidence that I replied when it needed another bump of course :mmm:

Complete coincidence that I replied when it needed another bump of course :mmm:

Of course. Somebody's going to get suspicious soon.
Reply 72
In a weeks time I am about to attend a college/university belonging to the University of London, heres the question, I would hopefully like to transfer into UCL economics for my second year (From a different institiute of the university of london), what would I need to do?

I have read many different forums but written in previous years...

So do I basically just contact UCL (for example the head of the department) ?
Explaining situation asking for a placement? Filling in UCAS if i get the "yes" ?
Reply 73
Original post by tomorei
In a weeks time I am about to attend a college/university belonging to the University of London, heres the question, I would hopefully like to transfer into UCL economics for my second year (From a different institiute of the university of london), what would I need to do?

I have read many different forums but written in previous years...

So do I basically just contact UCL (for example the head of the department) ?
Explaining situation asking for a placement? Filling in UCAS if i get the "yes" ?

They all operate separate admissions processes with their own limits on students and such so I would assume the process is exactly the same although the chances of you knowing a member of staff with relevant connections is probably increased.
Reply 74
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Of course. Somebody's going to get suspicious soon.

They might, but I believe in the cause :tongue:
tldr; last paragraph

I’m a Business student on a course that requires a sandwich year 40-week placement. I finished my second year with a 2:1 but rather than pursue a placement I decided to work on a business proposition with the intention that if it worked out I wouldn’t go back to uni. A year later, with no placement and no business (though I’m still working on it!), my course mates are starting their final year and my uni aren’t letting me back in. Perhaps it would’ve helped my cause if I had engaged in some meaningful communication with them and maybe, you know, argued my case a wee bit... but the truth is I don’t really rate the course and believe I can achieve more in the following two years than fulfil the placement and their final year (be it through this ‘business’ - or other...).

In my first year at college I ‘achieved’ grades UUE (law, business and economics, respectively). In my second year I persuaded my college to let me study both years of law concurrently, as well as retaking all my first year units of the two other subjects, and I left with grades ABD.

I went to disappointing secondary (recently learnt my year achieved a 33% five A*-C pass rate; which is not bad compared to the 27% my sister’s year achieved 3 years later – coincidentally the school’s last before it merged with an even worse failing school to form an Academy). Anyway, my point is that I walked through school without trying as I was ‘better’ than most of my mates (hey, I only got B’s and C’s (only eight too as the school took the policy to limit subjects so the students would do better overall (the theory anyway...))) and so went to sixth-form without the ability to study. I also had a bit of serious gambling problem while at college, placing football bets of around £250 per week and on several occasions £1000+ (funded by previous winnings, short term eBay moneymakers and EMA), which seemed far more important – or at least deeply preoccupying – than mere insignificant college work. I also didn’t harbour an ambition to go to university so I didn’t have much grade ambition other than ‘the best I can with whatever effort’s in my back pocket at the time...’.

So, I’ve had a brainwave (few and far between, but I think something happened up there): why don’t I redo my economics and business A-Level’s this year through self-study whilst working on my proposed business (requires investment of between £50k-£80k, the critical stumbling block, incidentally). My economics grade in particular has always bugged me as I do have some natural interest in the subject and I did fairly well in class discussions, but I never worked to grasp the critical mark-winning theories, and thus made myself feel stupid and give up. However, I’m probably not stupid and if I worked I reckon to could turn my A-Levels in AAA – or maybe even an A* in business.

I’m motivated to restudy A-Level economics one day regardless, but my question is: if I talk to other, better university’s now about courses with a very similar Business/Management syllabus to my current one, is there any chance of transferring straight into the third year next year, conditional on my achieving their entry requirements?

Reply 76
Original post by clandestine
I’m motivated to restudy A-Level economics one day regardless, but my question is: if I talk to other, better university’s now about courses with a very similar Business/Management syllabus to my current one, is there any chance of transferring straight into the third year next year, conditional on my achieving their entry requirements?

:no: Either they'll have exams in 3rd year on 2nd year material that you won't have covered, or they'll have exams in 2nd year that you won't have covered. I've never heard of anyone being able to transfer into 3rd year of a different course, even at the same uni, unless it was very similar (e.g. Zoology instead of Biology).
Reply 77
You are not allowed to transfer into 3rd year, it is a straight no. However, you are able to transfer into second year, so give it a try.
Thanks for the advice guys. I thought I'd heard of rare cases of third year transfers but I'm probably mistaken. I've just always felt I cheated myself by not working at college to achieve something closer to my potential and thus I probably haven't been as committed to my course as I should've.

I still like the idea of restudying economics as that D does grate at me but I appreciate it wouldn't win me a 3rd year transfer.

Thanks again. Any other opinions would be appreciated also. :smile:
Reply 79
This post has been extremely helpful to me and I thank you for this.

I started a thread earlier and was refered to this thread ..... below is what I posted.

I just finished my first year doing finance and Investment banking at the ICMA centre in Reading university and averaged around 84% for all 6 of my modules....
with 82% in macro and 84% in micro econ

I was wondering If i have a chance at transferring into the first year of LSE/UCL/warwick to do economics / economics and statistics?

The thing is I would have applied before but I picked the wrong combination of A levels and didn't do very well due to personal reasons...

A level results:
Mathematics - B
Economics - B
Urdu - B
Btec National certificate in Business - Double distinction....

GCSE results : 4 A*, 6 A & 2B

Now I know that my A levels were poor and my GCSEs were average, but I was wondering because I done reasonably well in my first year at uni if I have a chance at transferring into the first year of UCL/LSE/WARWICK economics...

I'm hoping to get into S&T/ER after graduation btw

Quick Reply

Latest