The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HereBeDragons
I...
I always presumed that she was actually a woman called Mabel :redface:

Oh... um. Sorry to have ruined that piece of your childhood.

Well, this is awkward.
Original post by BethSwift
Lynda Baron, the actress who played Auntie Mabel in the kids TV show 'Come Outside'. You know, the one with the dog and the spotty plane. :smile:

I loved that programme. Wasn't the dog called something like Pippin?
Original post by Lantana
I loved that programme. Wasn't the dog called something like Pippin?

Yep, Pippin - always getting told off by Mabel despite being possibly the most well-behaved dog in the world. :tongue:
I never thought I'd say this, but for me DW seems to have lost the plot a bit. Really unimpressed with the latest episodes :frown: (bar The Girl Who Waited)
Original post by Bella Occhi
I never thought I'd say this, but for me DW seems to have lost the plot a bit. Really unimpressed with the latest episodes :frown: (bar The Girl Who Waited)

I know what you mean, I rewatched some of the series 3 and 4 episodes earlier and the difference is immense. To be honest though I think it's mostly down to styling (Moffat taking over after Russell T Davies) as they are almost like totally different shows. Same humour, same awesomeness (yeah, that's a word) but just different. Older episodes were more traditionally sci-fi and action and strange planets, and recent is just more psychological terrors in seemingly mundane places I think (like a boys bedroom, a london flat and such).

Dunno. I like both older and more recent Who.
Reply 6785
Original post by BethSwift
I don't think so. They'll come back for the last few episodes I reckon, there's too much unresolved there. But yeah, in my opinion it's probably their last series, but that's just speculation on my part (there's probably people here who know for sure but spoilers scare me :P )

Karen Gillan has signed on for Series 7, and I'm not sure about Arthur Darvill.
Reply 6786
Just had a random thought. It would be interesting if Jack met Amy and Rory and starting flirting with Rory and completely ignoring Amy :biggrin:
Original post by chernid
Karen Gillan has signed on for Series 7, and I'm not sure about Arthur Darvill.

What? I thought we were rid of Karen Gillan! As much as I love her and Matt Smith together, I was really hoping for a new assistant....
Original post by ellie-wellie
What? I thought we were rid of Karen Gillan! As much as I love her and Matt Smith together, I was really hoping for a new assistant....

My money would be on River Song being the next companion.
I hope not. She's better as a plot driver than an assistant.
So is

Spoiler

in the Christmas special then? I'm confused now :confused:
There's something about the character of Amy that annoys me...can't quite put my finger on it, I love Karen Gillian though :biggrin:
Original post by humy369
Just had a random thought. It would be interesting if Jack met Amy and Rory and starting flirting with Rory and completely ignoring Amy :biggrin:

Well Rory si the pretty one...

...I mean, according to the Tardis :ninja:
I don't hate Amy or Rory but it does make me a bit sad that we won't get to see the 11th Doctor with a new companion. He seems to be defined by Amy and Rory (which does make sense in a way by having turned up in Amelia's childhood and being integral) but I still would have liked a new companion. I would have liked to have seen him interact with someone different.

Of course, that is dependant on how active Amy and Rory are within series 7 and whether Matt will stay beyond the Anniversary.

So far in this series, I would say the really good episodes were The Impossible Astronaut, Day of the Moon, The Doctor's Wife, A Good Man Goes to War and The Girl Who Waited. All of them felt like high quality science fiction (barring a slightly, and arguably, convoluted start to the series), they were solid stories and performances.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
So far in this series, I would say the really good episodes were The Impossible Astronaut, Day of the Moon, The Doctor's Wife, A Good Man Goes to War and The Girl Who Waited. All of them felt like high quality science fiction (barring a slightly, and arguably, convoluted start to the series), they were solid stories and performances.

^
This, absolutely. Apart from AGMGTW perhaps; I wasn't underwhelmed by it, but it wasn't /that/ good in my opinion. But I do agree with whoever said that Doctor Who has become a bit too 'humany'; although I love the psychological/emotional/'deep' type episodes that have featured this series I so miss the adventure type episodes from the Russell T Davis era when it was all about visiting new planets, new worlds and chasing/being chased by weird and wonderful aliens. This series is very earth based it seems :frown:
Original post by ellie-wellie

She's said that she 'will be back' next series, but hasn't said anything about whether that'll be for one episode or all 13. Arthur Darvill is coming back as well, but similarly hasn't said how many episodes it'll be for. Presumably they've been told not to say anything because it would ruin the suspense for the finale... and filming doesn't start until the New Year anyway apparently.

I won't be complaining if they're back for the whole series though, I love the Amy/Rory/Doctor dynamic, and they both work really well with Matt Smith.

Original post by Pandora.
So is

Spoiler

in the Christmas special then? I'm confused now :confused:

Spoiler

Reply 6796
Original post by dizzeedollee
^
This, absolutely. Apart from AGMGTW perhaps; I wasn't underwhelmed by it, but it wasn't /that/ good in my opinion. But I do agree with whoever said that Doctor Who has become a bit too 'humany'; although I love the psychological/emotional/'deep' type episodes that have featured this series I so miss the adventure type episodes from the Russell T Davis era when it was all about visiting new planets, new worlds and chasing/being chased by weird and wonderful aliens. This series is very earth based it seems :frown:

I miss when Doctor Who was all about running :rolleyes:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I don't hate Amy or Rory but it does make me a bit sad that we won't get to see the 11th Doctor with a new companion. He seems to be defined by Amy and Rory (which does make sense in a way by having turned up in Amelia's childhood and being integral) but I still would have liked a new companion. I would have liked to have seen him interact with someone different.

Of course, that is dependant on how active Amy and Rory are within series 7 and whether Matt will stay beyond the Anniversary.

I'd like to see him with an alien companion, it's always humans.
Reply 6798
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
I'd like to see him with an alien companion, it's always humans.

What kind of alien? One we've already seen or a new one? I think a Silurian companion would be kind of interesting.
Original post by humy369
What kind of alien? One we've already seen or a new one? I think a Silurian companion would be kind of interesting.

Just one that would be funny and wouldn't lead to some form of awkward romantic involvement. :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending