The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LtCommanderData
I'm not a historian, but I learned almost all of the history I know from strategy games (and mythology from Age of Mythology)

Original post by thurin
I am a historian, and I learned almost all of the history I know from strategy games (and mythology from Age of Mythology)

It's good to know I'm not the only one.
Original post by The Anti-Hero

(As for Gladiator, it's far too late in the Roman timeline to be useful to me!)

Thought that might have been the case, but I wasn't going to let history get in the way of sheer hilarity. Imperial, not Republican Rome, right? I envy you getting to study Rome, I've got a few books to read about it for fun, though; some Tacitus and Cicero's speeches. You'll have to teach me about it whilst we watch rugby matches.

Alexis de Tocqueville has reached some pretty bloody dull moments in this book; reading central government's control over provincial law courts is dry enough, but in a foreign language it's murder.
Original post by deFossard
Thought that might have been the case, but I wasn't going to let history get in the way of sheer hilarity. Imperial, not Republican Rome, right? I envy you getting to study Rome, I've got a few books to read about it for fun, though; some Tacitus and Cicero's speeches. You'll have to teach me about it whilst we watch rugby matches.

Alexis de Tocqueville has reached some pretty bloody dull moments in this book; reading central government's control over provincial law courts is dry enough, but in a foreign language it's murder.

Yeah, the period I'm covering is the Republic (though the word Empire is thrown around a bit, simply because Rome's dominions and influence were expanding) rather than Empire.

Hm, that doesn't sound too interesting, I must admit. You'll battle through it though, I'm sure?

As for the rugby, hopefully England will actually be playing half-decently by the time term starts, otherwise I'm Irish for the rest of the year...
Yeah, the period I'm covering is the Republic (though the word Empire is thrown around a bit, simply because Rome's dominions and influence were expanding) rather than Empire.

Hm, that doesn't sound too interesting, I must admit. You'll battle through it though, I'm sure?

As for the rugby, hopefully England will actually be playing half-decently by the time term starts, otherwise I'm Irish for the rest of the year...

Was it Julius Caesar who got rid of the Republic and made Rome an Empire?

It's quite painful, but has splashes of interest. I like it on the whole, he's currently attacking the Revolution, which I like (silly reactionary, me), declaring that most of its achievements were actually already put in place by the Ancien Regime. Just the detail, oh my, are drier than dust.

I'm still optimistic for England, shocked by the discipline in the two matches. Maybe they're being complacent over less experienced sides. I'll hop onto supporting France if England crash and burn, though, or anyone from the Northern Hemisphere.
Original post by deFossard
Was it Julius Caesar who got rid of the Republic and made Rome an Empire?

It's quite painful, but has splashes of interest. I like it on the whole, he's currently attacking the Revolution, which I like (silly reactionary, me), declaring that most of its achievements were actually already put in place by the Ancien Regime. Just the detail, oh my, are drier than dust.

I'm still optimistic for England, shocked by the discipline in the two matches. Maybe they're being complacent over less experienced sides. I'll hop onto supporting France if England crash and burn, though, or anyone from the Northern Hemisphere.

Sort of. It's a little bit more complex than Julius Caesar simply abolishing the Republic and replacing it with an empire (He was never an Emperor himself) but he was certainly a major catalyst, if not the direct cause.

I must admit I know very little about the French Revolution beyond the sort of stuff that's pretty much general knowledge. I know a little more about the Empire and Napoleon's campaigns though.
I'm looking to do the Rev. for my Optional Subject, however. I'd like to know more!

Oh, I could never support France!
For me, it goes England-> Ireland -> Wales -> Scotland -> South Africa.

the latter simply because of District 9, Nando's and Savannah Dry cider.
It's seems like you know a little more than you're giving yourself credit for, here!
I've always had this strong passive/casual interest in Roman history, but this is the first time I've really been able to get my teeth into it. It's very nice!

Hm, actual Total War is probably a bad thing but if anybody tried to ban the Total War games, I'd probably declare war on them. They could call it the Ironic War?
Besides, I think TW is surprisingly informative. I read chapter about the structure of the Roman army and I just knew it all already because of Total War!

I used to love the Tudors too, but doing them at both AS and A2 kinda beat it out of me XD

(As for Gladiator, it's far too late in the Roman timeline to be useful to me!)

Hmm, I know nothing outside that tiny little niche though. That's really cool though, I didn't even look in to Ancient and Modern, maybe I should have...I really would have liked to do some archaeology at uni, but I wanted to be able to do modern history too, and Oxford (and actually 2/4 of my other history choices) don't do it :frown: although probably after my first dig I'd decide it was too much like hard work and wish I could just go back to cosy libraries :redface: so I'll just have to stick to the archaeology in the 'Approaches to History' module...

Luckily I didn't do the Tudors at school (except for my A2 coursework and then a topic wayyy back in year 6 :cool:), so the excitement is still kind of there for me. :colondollar:

PS maybe we should take this to PMs as it's maybe not very relevant and is probably cluttering up the thread for everyone else :tongue:
"The earliest students will receive letters about their bursary for the 2011/12 academic year is the middle of September 2011. There is no separate application process to undergo to be assessed for an Oxford Opportunity Bursary (OOB). At this stage you should ensure that you and any parent/sponsor has given their permission for the University to have access to your household income data in your application to Student Finance. Once all the correct data is received by the University from the Student Loans Company, a letter will be issued to eligible students indicating the amount of their OOB.

For more information about the bursary scheme, please visit www.oxfordopportunity.com

Kind regards

Melissa
"

We should hear from them about now then (hopefully) :smile:
Original post by barefootfiona
TESCO's, Clas Ohlson, IKEA. Rock it!

What's Clas Ohlson? Never heard of that one!

Need a couple more dresses for clubbing as well, so H and M is calling too!
Oh, I could never support France!
For me, it goes England-> Ireland -> Wales -> Scotland -> South Africa.

the latter simply because of District 9, Nando's and Savannah Dry cider.

I can never support SA or Australia, even though I have family there, precisely because of the smug e-mails said family send us whenever they win...
Original post by soutioirsim
C'mon Oxford, let me know about the bursary!!!

Original post by SamF1992
This, please.

:hi: I don't know whether you have checked Student Finance today or not, but I received my letter today on there. Just to let you know! They're coming. :biggrin:
Original post by Incarnadine91
I can never support SA or Australia, even though I have family there, precisely because of the smug e-mails said family send us whenever they win...

And they win more often than not!
I only wish Wales could've toppled SA as well as Ireland beating Australia. That really would've been something to smile about :smile:
Original post by riotgrrl

Speedway rider? :dontknow:
Original post by riotgrrl

Need a couple more dresses for clubbing as well, so H and M is calling too!

Same! :biggrin:
Original post by brendan.
:hi: I don't know whether you have checked Student Finance today or not, but I received my letter today on there. Just to let you know! They're coming. :biggrin:

I guess it's only been what, five days since they started notifying people about the OOB anyway, according to the website.
And they specifically state that it's done in a rolling fashion, rather than all at once.

So I'm suppressing my natural urge to panic and freak out about money matters.
Reply 3774
hi :smile:

not quite a fresher, but I applying for Economics at Oxford for 2012 at trinity

be great to meet someone who either does this course or goes trinity so I can bug you on how to get in lol
Original post by radio1
hi :smile:

not quite a fresher, but I applying for Economics at Oxford for 2012 at trinity

be great to meet someone who either does this course or goes trinity so I can bug you on how to get in lol

Economics as in PPE, E&M, H&E or EEM? If it's E&M, you can PM me your list of queries.

Yeah mine has updated as well! :biggrin:

I can relax a bit now :p:

How much do you get?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by soutioirsim
Yeah mine has updated as well! :biggrin:

I can relax a bit now :p:

How much do you get?

Hah, me too! No need to email them now! :biggrin:
I got £500, pretty much what I expected. You?
Reply 3778
Hah, me too! No need to email them now! :biggrin:
I got £500, pretty much what I expected. You?

I got the same :smile:
Reply 3779
Wow, I got £500 as well! I was expecting more like £250. Better amend my spreadsheet then................

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending