The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9700
Original post by Chrosson
Today I am six years older than I would be at double three years younger than half my current age.

Additionally, in four years time I will be 11 years younger than quintuple three years older than a fifth of my age.

Finally, my age during my first year as a teenager is only a couple of years more than the difference between my age a year ago and the first prime number multiplied by the sum of half my current age and half my age during my first year of having an age in double digits.

That would make you 5 years old. :p: Or -12, but we'll exclude that one. The other two statements are trivial. :colonhash:
Reply 9701
Original post by Iain 815
I just can't see Metro taking off on desktops at all. The constant changing of interfaces would probably start to irritate me, and I would ultimately just stick to the old fashioned desktop.

That said, Win 8 running a tablet looks amazing. I would snap it up in an instant.

It's amazing to use on my TouchSmart (though need to sort auto-rotation).

I agree it's clunkier on the desktop. However, it's not abysmal.
Original post by Dez
That would make you 5 years old. :p: Or -12, but we'll exclude that one. The other two statements are trivial. :colonhash:

Actually it says nothing the previous two statements didn't already imply...and the first two statements were indeed (almost) trivial :mmm:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Been thinking more seriously about CompTIA A+. It's a pretty damn easy certification that's inexpensive to study from home and no harm in going on my CV - I think it was discussed much earlier in this thread, but was discussing it with a friend this afternoon.

Today I am six years older than I would be at double three years younger than half my current age.

Additionally, in four years time I will be 11 years younger than quintuple three years older than a fifth of my age.

Finally, my age during my first year as a teenager is only a couple of years more than the difference between my age a year ago and the first prime number multiplied by the sum of half my current age and half my age during my first year of having an age in double digits.

I really can't be arsed, so I'll say 42 and call it quits :pierre:. Been another very, very long day :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:, plus my maths and brain teaser skills are rustier than former Soviet submarine pens simply because they are unnecessary in my line of work/existence and are thus never used.
(edited 12 years ago)
Argh. Bought a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and Graphics Card. The graphics card works but (at least) one of the remaining components doesn't. And the motherboard doesn't have a bloody internal speaker to beep at me for RAM warnings or **** like that. What fool thought that would be a good idea?! So now I have to phone up Ebuyer - on Monday when I'm travelling back to Loughborough) to tell them that the bloody motherboard, RAM or CPU doesn't work and the motherboard has no way of telling me which it is before they'll let me return it.

All I wanted was to upgrade before I went back to Uni and now this **** happens. So ****ing pissed off right now.
Reply 9705
Original post by Wednesday Bass
Argh. Bought a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and Graphics Card. The graphics card works but (at least) one of the remaining components doesn't. And the motherboard doesn't have a bloody internal speaker to beep at me for RAM warnings or **** like that. What fool thought that would be a good idea?! So now I have to phone up Ebuyer - on Monday when I'm travelling back to Loughborough) to tell them that the bloody motherboard, RAM or CPU doesn't work and the motherboard has no way of telling me which it is before they'll let me return it.

All I wanted was to upgrade before I went back to Uni and now this **** happens. So ****ing pissed off right now.

Sometimes there are LEDs on the motherboard that indicate POST failures, so check the manual to see if there are any. I suppose as a last resort, you could connect a multimeter to the speaker pins and translate the voltage spikes into a beep code. :p:
Original post by Dez
Sometimes there are LEDs on the motherboard that indicate POST failures, so check the manual to see if there are any. I suppose as a last resort, you could connect a multimeter to the speaker pins and translate the voltage spikes into a beep code. :p:

Yeah, there was an LED, but when there was a problem it just stayed on, indicating nothing. I'm just gonna send them back and get the replacements sent to Loughborough, be less hassle...
Original post by ch0llima
I really can't be arsed, so I'll say 42 and call it quits :pierre:. Been another very, very long day :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:, plus my maths and brain teaser skills are rustier than former Soviet submarine pens simply because they are unnecessary in my line of work/existence and are thus never used.

:lol:
Surely you didn't expect an answer after your (valid) points about social engineering?
I only presented it as timewasting questions because I was feeling whimsical. I didn't really expect them to be taken seriously.
I might be going to the DEF CON hacking convention/conference in Las Vegas next July... might be a group of us going and do some sightseeing outside of the conference. I might be up for renting a car and zipping up to the gate at Area 51 :moon:

Surely you didn't expect an answer after your (valid) points about social engineering?

You know, I'd actually forgotten about that :facepalm2:. Fair point is fair, and my advice still stands.

I only presented it as timewasting questions because I was feeling whimsical. I didn't really expect them to be taken seriously.

Good thing I didn't attempt it. Some people attempted it and got it horribly wrong it seems :teehee:

Interesting post. One thing though...
Some of you may ask why have I moved the Program Files off of the SSD. Well, I have a relatively small SSD and don't want to have to think about whether this program should go on the SSD or elsewhere.

This is valid and a good reason
Furthermore, most program .exe's are relatively small, so whether the amount of time saved by putting them on an SSD is questionable.

Well...literally true, but data files are quite big.
If you installed (off the top of my head) Batman Arkham Asylum (10GB) on your SSD, you would notice one hell of a difference with loading maps I imagine. But then we come back to the first point.

You know, I'd actually forgotten about that :facepalm2:. Fair point is fair, and my advice still stands.
Good thing I didn't attempt it. Some people attempted it and got it horribly wrong it seems :teehee:

Yeah...at least I think my reasoning was correct.
Dez
x

Did my explanation seem right?
Well...literally true, but data files are quite big.
If you installed (off the top of my head) Batman Arkham Asylum (10GB) on your SSD, you would notice one hell of a difference with loading maps I imagine. But then we come back to the first point.

I keep my desktop tidy i.e. no unnecessary startup programs and the like, so with a new i5 i didn't know how much faster and SSD would make it.
Getting a cheap one seemed the best option, so I can experiment with what works well on it.
I'm not really a gamer, but I do edit a lot of photos.
Therefore I've put caches for CS5 programs on the SSD, otherwise flicking through 12MB RAW files is acceptable on a Samsung F3 / F4 / Caviar Black... but now it's just :awesome:
I fancy an SSD, but it seems pretty expensive for the space that you get. FAO those of you who own them: what size do you have?; how much did you pay?; what do you put on them and how do you organise the space? :holmes:

Seems a little pointless to spend £50 for something that's only big enough for Windows, and £150 for something which still isn't big enough for everything you have...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by alexsheppard11
I'm not really a gamer, but I do edit a lot of photos.

Aaah, ok. For the type of program you're talking about, that makes sense then (that 'Program Files' isn't the bottleneck).

Seems a little pointless to spend £50 for something that's only big enough for Windows, and £150 for something which still isn't big enough for everything you have...

Comes back to the old 'time is money'. In the end, how much is your time worth, and how much would be saved by a SSD?
If I spent my life working with a 15GB MDB file, or grepping and scripting millions of text files, I might find the investment worthwhile. However I'm not going to get one to speed up my boot time...especially when I just sleep my laptop anyway.

Same reason I upgraded my 10 year old laptop - I could save time by being able to install throwaway programs inside a VM instead of meticulously removing each one after using it. I didn't really need more than a 1GB of ram and an elderly intel processor...
Reply 9714
Did my explanation seem right?

The statement is a bit ambiguous, so you can construct it in several ways, meaning you get more than one answer. :colonhash:

I've never gone SSD mesself, not a fan of the reliability rates personally. Plus they're expensive, and I usually spend my boot/load times making tea/getting biscuits etc., so I don't really care how long it takes.
I fancy an SSD, but it seems pretty expensive for the space that you get. FAO those of you who own them: what size do you have?; how much did you pay?; what do you put on them and how do you organise the space? :holmes:

60GB OCZ Agility 3. I wouldn't recommend it. It's as if the product is in beta testing, my first one bricked and the replacement BSODed a couple of times in the first few days.

However, since Windows is the only thing on it, I can easily swap it and not worry about losing anything.
Original post by alexsheppard11

I can't work out why you need to edit the registry? I followed this and didn't have to edit the registry
This is the console to have this Christmas, boys and girls.

:teehee: When I saw this on reddit earlier, I actually cracked up briefly. As fake consoles go, this one is really something else.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9718
This is the console to have this Christmas, boys and girls.

Is that a CARTRIDGE that I see in the box? (bottom right)
Original post by Tathrim
Is that a CARTRIDGE that I see in the box? (bottom right)

I believe so :holmes:

Latest

Trending

Trending