The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tremmel Smith
Hi guys could you weigh up my chances for applying to economics at Durham , Sheffield , Nottingham . Predicted A*A*A in history , politics and economics .And PPe at Warwick and Oxford .

AS A in history 100% , 92% politics A , Economics A 88% , Maths B 78% .

Gcses 6A* 3As and and an A* in IGCSE maths.

Well I wouldn't apply for both PPE and economics. Those courses are just too different. If you talk about Philosphy in your PS and you apply for econ at Durham, Sheffield and Nottingham, it will result in a rejection, probably. And if you don't talk about Politics and Philosophy in your PS you won't have as much of a chance as other people that apply for PPE and mention those... Since you have a B at Maths, I'd only apply to PPE or other similar courses like Politics and Economics. Hope that helps. :smile:
Original post by Tremmel Smith
Hi guys could you weigh up my chances for applying to economics at Durham , Sheffield , Nottingham . Predicted A*A*A in history , politics and economics .And PPe at Warwick and Oxford .

AS A in history 100% , 92% politics A , Economics A 88% , Maths B 78% .

Gcses 6A* 3As and and an A* in IGCSE maths.

you'll be disadvantaged as they prefer Maths at A-level
If you don't have a language GCSE (and your school offered it) you can't apply to UCL.

Anyone else disappointed by this?
Original post by Tateco
Also, what format shall the offer thread be?

No discussion?

University:
Course code:
Offer:

?

Shouldn't it be

Offer/Rejection? :tongue:
Reply 3164
Original post by Mousebudden
If you don't have a language GCSE (and your school offered it) you can't apply to UCL.

That's harsh :s-smilie:. I'm glad my school made taking one language at GCSE compulsory.
Original post by Mousebudden

You can. You just have to do some course thingy during your degree which gets you up to scratch with the basics of foreign languages. I'm not sure why you dont have a language though if your school did offer it...the funny thing is (im not picking on you) most people here would epicly fail @ any language but when it comes to Bio/Chem/Phys they get 100%.... :rolleyes:

Good luck.
Reply 3166
Which of these courses would I be more likely to get an offer from...

Economics at Southampton (AAA)
Economics and Accounting at Bristol (AAB-ABB)

Even though Southampton have a higher offer, Bristol tend to be more competitive and look at GCSE's more. And also, would doing Economics and Accounting be any worse than doing straight Economics.

Thanks
if you had these grades would you think its a good idea to apply to cambridge, warwick, lse, ucl and durham? (i dont mind taking a gap year and reapplying)

GCSE's:
7A* 3A 1B

AS: (ums will be included on ucas)
Maths A (456/500) (97 in C3)
Economics A (195/200)
English Lit A (180/200)
Physics A (272/300)
Critical Thinking C (138/200)

A-Level Predictions:
Maths A*
Economics A*
Physics A*
Further Maths A
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -Illmatic-
You can. You just have to do some course thingy during your degree which gets you up to scratch with the basics of foreign languages. I'm not sure why you dont have a language though if your school did offer it...the funny thing is (im not picking on you) most people here would epicly fail @ any language but when it comes to Bio/Chem/Phys they get 100%.... :rolleyes:

Good luck.

Well they basically said the lack of a modern langauge GCSE will only be accepted if a suitable reason is jusitified.

Unfortunately I can't think of a reason apart from the fact I chose a GCSE subject which I enjoyed more
I'm emailing my UMS to UCL the day I apply.

I'm just not going to apply to UCL :awesome:
Reply 3170
Original post by funkydee
if you had these grades would you think its a good idea to apply to cambridge, warwick, lse, ucl and durham? (i dont mind taking a gap year and reapplying)

GCSE's:
6.5A* 2.5A 1B

Economics A (195/200)
English Lit A (180/200)
Physics A (272/300)

A-Level Predictions:
Maths A*
Economics A*
Physics A*
Further Maths A

Keeping the bold in mind, sure why not. Although, know that 5 rejections is not unheard of when applying to so many competitive universities.

GCSE's:
6.5A* 2.5A 1B

Economics A (195/200)
English Lit A (180/200)
Physics A (272/300)

A-Level Predictions:
Maths A*
Economics A*
Physics A*
Further Maths A

Well if you don't mind taking a gap year, go for it. If not I would get rif of two of the top four ones and replace them with Bath/Nottingham/Bristol or something along those lines :smile:
How annoying is that one B though, I got one at GCSE aswell and it just stands out on my UCAS form everytime i look at it :frown:
Original post by Trizzle
Any ideas where to put UMS scores yet? I'm still unsure about doing it on the form...

I'm putting it in the other box.
Reply 3173
Original post by -Illmatic-

I agree, I've seen my friends who struggle with languages, far from easy..
Definitely want to pick up Portuguese or Spanish at university and learn that alongside Economics, always been fond of languages :smile:
Original post by crazy1234
Well if you don't mind taking a gap year, go for it. If not I would get rif of two of the top four ones and replace them with Bath/Nottingham/Bristol or something along those lines :smile:
How annoying is that one B though, I got one at GCSE aswell and it just stands out on my UCAS form everytime i look at it :frown:

lol mine was in French, looking back I wish I tried harder tp get an A :frown: and i was 1 mark of an A* for Biology. LIFE!
lol mine was in French, looking back I wish I tried harder tp get an A :frown: and i was 1 mark of an A* for Biology. LIFE!

Lol, mine was in German, so also a language :smile: Yeah wished I tried harder aswell :frown: Even English I wished I tried harder at, could have converted two high A's into A*s...

Also what college are you applying to at Cambridge?
What are UMS scores?
Original post by crazy1234
Lol, mine was in German, so also a language :smile: Yeah wished I tried harder aswell :frown: Even English I wished I tried harder at, could have converted two high A's into A*s...

Also what college are you applying to at Cambridge?

Well i looked on ALL the college websites and decided Pembroke was the one! lol what about you?
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
What are UMS scores?

It's the mark you've achieved in each module/ overall in a subject.
Is a level maths vital for a degree in economics ( ba) e.g nottingham , Durham , sheffield and Manchester

Latest

Trending

Trending