The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anybody applying to UCL, I've done a post which might help your queries about admissions, BMAT, interview and offers :smile:
It's the link in my sig about UCL - feel free to read it. hopefully it allays any myths and makes you less anxious about applying there!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=34141113&postcount=78
Reply 7301
Hey guys. I have a question. I know I can apply for 4 medicine courses (Glasgow, Hull York, Liverpool, Peninsula) through UCAS, but, can I use the last choice to apply to a pre-medical year at Lancaster uni.? Or does it count as a medicine choice? Please, help, I am really confused!
Looking for some advice for which universities to apply to considering I have a C at chemistry AS! (mitigating circumstances) My UKCAT: 725, GCSE's: 5A*s, 6A's Predictions: A*AAA

Basically I don't care anymore if the course is PBL or integrated (although I'd prefer integrated) - I just need to apply to universities that don't look at AS grades and preferably like the UKCAT since that's the only above average aspect in my application.

So far I know that Southampton and I think Leicester only look at predictions and not AS's but can anyone help me with some more? Also I really want to apply to Newcastle with my ukcat - hopefully they only look at predictions too?
Original post by number1medic

Original post by number1medic
Looking for some advice for which universities to apply to considering I have a C at chemistry AS! (mitigating circumstances) My UKCAT: 725, GCSE's: 5A*s, 6A's Predictions: A*AAA

Basically I don't care anymore if the course is PBL or integrated (although I'd prefer integrated) - I just need to apply to universities that don't look at AS grades and preferably like the UKCAT since that's the only above average aspect in my application.

So far I know that Southampton and I think Leicester only look at predictions and not AS's but can anyone help me with some more? Also I really want to apply to Newcastle with my ukcat - hopefully they only look at predictions too?

I'm pretty sure Leeds only look at predictions, and with that UKCAT you'd get an extra point as well.
Reply 7304
Is PBL good or bad? im thinking id prefer an integrated course but im really not sure:/ and is 662.5 ok for most unis or is it too low?:/
Original post by Sophia56

Original post by Sophia56
Is PBL good or bad? im thinking id prefer an integrated course but im really not sure:/ and is 662.5 ok for most unis or is it too low?:/

662.5 is fine for most universities. As for PBL... it depends on how you learn..
Reply 7306
Original post by SamHey789
I got 2570 - 643.5 average, i'm happy with that, too low for Newcastle but ah well!

where are you applying to?
Reply 7307
on ucas, does medlink count as 'preperation for higher education'?
Reply 7308
dear all:
ukcat: 652 av
gcses: 3A*s. 4As, 4Bs
as: AAAA (bio, chem, phys & art)
a2 predictions: A*A*A (based on UMS; dropping art).
thinking of applying to leeds, aberdeen, nottingham & bristol?

chances?

also, are scottish universitys going to be more competitive seeing as they'll be even more popular amongst scottish candiates than ever!?
im a year 12 IB student and i am doing maths studies (the easiest form of maths at my school in IB)

i have researched my chosen universites and called them pesonally. they each said HL maths (the highest level of maths in the IB) was NOT NECESSARY.

all the advisors in my school say that i need to have HL because they will not accept maths studies as an appropriate maths course and i do not want to do HL maths because (A) i dont want to as i dont really enjoy maths even though i am seen as capable (B) why should i if my research says i dont need to?

if it really is necessary i probably could take the HL but only as a last resort.

my only other option for maths is to take HL maths as my school does not provide a SL Maths course (the middle class of difficulty) even though that was what i chose to do on my application form.

would a medical school accept me if i stayed with maths studies?

Extra Info:
GCSE
A chemistry
A biology
A Physics
A Design tecnology
A Spanish
D* ICT (BTECH course)
A German
A English Literature
B English Language
C Business studies

IB Current Subjects
HL Biology
HL Chemistry
HL Psychology
SL English
SL Spanish
Math studies
Original post by oHellno
I'm pretty sure Leeds only look at predictions, and with that UKCAT you'd get an extra point as well.

Ohh thank you! Do you know anywhere else? What about Nottingham?
:zomg:

You know things are getting serious when they remove the "Login to Apply 2011" option from UCAS...
Reply 7312
guys, i really need help.

UKCAT -652.5
AS grades - ABCC
Predictions for A2 - AAA
GCSES 7A*s 3As 3Bs one C

where do i stand a good chance?
im thinking about leciester, leeds, peninsula and kings.. :s-smilie:
Advise please!!!

Highers: AAAAB and UKCAT: 640
where do i stand a good chance of applying for medicine?
Reply 7314
Original post by Joseppea
:zomg:

You know things are getting serious when they remove the "Login to Apply 2011" option from UCAS...

:eek::eek::eek:
Just asking a lot of unis have "Volume and depth of study (GCE A level or equivalent) preferred as 3.5"
Does that mean 3 A levels and one AS
Also I am doing 4 subjects does that mean I am at a disadvantage?
Any help would be appreciated
Original post by eemooz
guys, i really need help.

UKCAT -652.5
AS grades - ABCC
Predictions for A2 - AAA
GCSES 7A*s 3As 3Bs one C

where do i stand a good chance?
im thinking about leciester, leeds, peninsula and kings.. :s-smilie:

You are probably on the low side for KCL unfortunately.
They rank your UKCAT score against the number of A*s you have at GCSE and list all the candidates that way. They then interview the top 20%.
I didn't get called up for interview with 655 avg. and 8.5A*s at GCSE. But then again, I had my UCL offer so withdrew several weeks before the admissions cycle for KCL finished as I wasn't going to take their offer anyway. It might best if you check KCL's 2011 entry applicant's profiles to see how their faired last year.
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
Just asking a lot of unis have "Volume and depth of study (GCE A level or equivalent) preferred as 3.5"
Does that mean 3 A levels and one AS
Also I am doing 4 subjects does that mean I am at a disadvantage?
Any help would be appreciated

An AS level is half an A level. The norm is to take 4 AS subjects and then take 3 to A2, thus leaving you with 3.5.
By taking 4, you will have met the required amount and it will not put you at a disadvantage. In 99.9% of cases, it will not give you any advantage whatsoever in terms of you application either.
Original post by purplefrog
An AS level is half an A level. The norm is to take 4 AS subjects and then take 3 to A2, thus leaving you with 3.5.
By taking 4, you will have met the required amount and it will not put you at a disadvantage. In 99.9% of cases, it will not give you any advantage whatsoever in terms of you application either.

This is exaggeration, there ARE medical schools who prefer this (Oxford, Cambridge, Barts, more I'm sure), and surely some who may consider it as a tiebreaker between two candidates.

However, on the whole, yeah, there's no point taking 4, no point at all.
Reply 7319
HELP/ADVICE PLEASE.
i would love to apply to edinburgh but am told countless times by careers advisors etcetc not to as only scottish get in! im from ni. i have 8A*s 3As, 662.5 in ukcat, and 3 voluntary work, work exp, music and sport. any chance or is it too much of a risk to waste an offer? do they take top 8 gcses or all gcses?

Latest