The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by tobnot
Thanks for that :smile:

Haha yeah I know how annoying DA is just by the practice questions I've been doing. Did you ever use the 600 practice questions book while preparing? Because I've heard a few people saying the questions in the actual test are not as testing.....

I did basically no revision for QR, used the 600q book for AR and VR and DA.
Reply 341
Original post by BethaneyJ
How are you?

Hello - this thread went dead for a few days :/

I'm reasonable thank you - not exactly back to normal but abit better than last week. Still very weak/tired from the Anemia but I think that is something I'm going to have to get used to for a while.

My throat is healing really well now but I'm still drugging myself up with painkillers as it's still quite sore. :frown:

I start my new job on Monday and going to attempt to go back to work on Saturday so I'm excited about that but also really nervous it's been like a month since I've left my house properly, I feel like I don't know the outside world very well (kinda scary).

How are you? Enjoying the BM5?
Original post by xcoral23
Hello - this thread went dead for a few days :/

I'm reasonable thank you - not exactly back to normal but abit better than last week. Still very weak/tired from the Anemia but I think that is something I'm going to have to get used to for a while.

My throat is healing really well now but I'm still drugging myself up with painkillers as it's still quite sore. :frown:

I start my new job on Monday and going to attempt to go back to work on Saturday so I'm excited about that but also really nervous it's been like a month since I've left my house properly, I feel like I don't know the outside world very well (kinda scary).

How are you? Enjoying the BM5?

Haven't started yet :P

I think reasonable is a good place to be considering everything you've gone through. Sounds like you've got everything planned out though, just need to get yourself going again and you'll start to feel better.

x
Reply 343
Haven't started yet :P

I think reasonable is a good place to be considering everything you've gone through. Sounds like you've got everything planned out though, just need to get yourself going again and you'll start to feel better.

x

Ohhh - when do you start? Excited?

Yeah I agree. It's the getting going again that's the tough part. I think the first couple of weeks are going to be a struggle but that's life :smile:

I just want to know whether I'm going to have a shot at Uni this year or not lol

x
Reply 344
Does meeting the gcse requirments for the bm5 not allow you to apply to bm6
because the nottingham a108 wont accept people with A's or above in science
Ohhh - when do you start? Excited?

Yeah I agree. It's the getting going again that's the tough part. I think the first couple of weeks are going to be a struggle but that's life :smile:

I just want to know whether I'm going to have a shot at Uni this year or not lol

x

Not until next week. Glad to hear you're still holding up. Won't be long and interviews etc will start x

Original post by xXA786DXx

Nope.
Reply 346

Where did you read this? On the website it doesn't state they don't accept people who receive grades A+ in GCSE Sciences it just states that if you have the GCSE required for the 5 year programme you will not be considered (6 A's or above). It says the following:

'At least five GCSEs; double science grade BB or chemistry, if single sciences taken, grade B; biology, maths and English language grade C, other subject grade C; biology, if not taken to A level, must be passed grade B at GCSE' - these are the minimum grades needed along with CCC at A2 level with Chemistry.

Not until next week. Glad to hear you're still holding up. Won't be long and interviews etc will start x

I bet your well excited. Good luck!! :smile:

Yeah I know, but that means it's not long until exams start (17 weeks approx)!!

x
Reply 347

Sorry just to clear up - What about the BM6, does having the GCSE required for the BM5 limit you ?
Reply 348
Sorry just to clear up - What about the BM6, does having the GCSE required for the BM5 limit you ?

No it doesn't. As long as you have the minimum requirements and forfil the additional entry criteria you will be considered.

I hope this answers your question.

Good luck with your applications :smile:

Nope.
what is the places vs. applicants ratio for the bm6
Reply 351
Original post by IamBeowulf

I think their is 14-19 applicants for every 1 place

How many get invited to interview any one know ?

Around 19 applicants per place.

About 200 interviews, then 45 offers.

Around 19 applicants per place.

About 200 interviews, then 45 offers.

so there is a lot of competition,but at least they interview a lot of people
so there is a lot of competition,but at least they interview a lot of people

Yep, more competition than usual courses (looking at around 14 per place), but quite a lot of interviews :smile:
Reply 355
I believe so. Last year I applied and didn't have A2 Chemistry and the admissions tutor said that for me to be in the best position to apply (to compete with others) that I should study Chemistry up to A2 level.

So it quite possibly could have. They send the criteria out to everyone who has applied I believe.

I think you should concentrate on your application this year - stop worrying about the past. You know you are applying with the required grades this year :smile:

Good luck with your application :smile:

Hey,
I never got the chance to reply to your other message (which i cant find now).I was paniking over the UKCAT.
Well I hope your UKCAT goes well next week because I remember you said you are going to do it next week. I found the AR section the hardest and it dragged my score down completely.
I am doing biology a2 this year and have: history,chemistry and maths (all b's).
Have you written your personal statement, how is that going?
Btw, how are you doing your a2 chemistry, through college or as a private candidate and how are you getting a predicted grade for it? I am doing biology as an external candidate with another place because my college is a sixth form and they dont allow pupils to stay on for third year so i dont know who will predict me a grade because the place i am doing biology with (i only go in for exams and practicals) they wont predict me a grade so my college has to predict me a grade but i wont be doing it in college so i think they will be effy about giving me a predicted grade. I already have a B in my AS but i don't know what theyre going to predict me or how its going to be done:frown:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 356
Original post by tobnot
Hey, yeah I don't think BM6 use it for selection. Do you have any tips? I've got mine on Thursday :s-smilie:

Hey,
Well I found the AR the easiest when revising and the hardest when it came to the exam. The rest is ok, just keep practising thats the best thing to do in all areas because, i didnt do much for the last section as it looked fairly straight forward but in the exam the answers are really close together in meaning (the DA).
Good luck let me know how it goes.
Reply 357
Yep, more competition than usual courses (looking at around 14 per place), but quite a lot of interviews :smile:

How do they choose that 1 person from the other 14 amazing applicants?
Reply 358
Original post by popsiclee67
I got an interview for both, and an offer for bm6 for this year. Did miss my offer so reapplying but got ABBC for AS before retakes, and was predicted ABB :smile:

Hi ya,

I'am an A2 student and wants to go for medicine. But unfortunately my AS grades turned out as ABBC and the predicted grades for this year is ABB. I really want to do medicine, and i heard about this foundation course. So do have any suggestions.
Original post by mashalli
How do they choose that 1 person from the other 14 amazing applicants?

That's the golden question! They want to see potential, an ability to communicate. Experiences that show you've learnt what it's really like and still aren't put off, experiences where you've learned something and developed as a person. It's all sorts really :smile:

You can't tailor yourself to them though, be yourself and write your best ps and if you're right for the course and have a little luck on your side you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest