The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3800
Original post by deFossard

Have you seen The Borgias? One of the few things that makes me wish I had Sky. I've heard it's actually relatively accurate, because Pope Alexander VI was truly disgusting, and so debauched that Hollywood could hardly exaggerate it.

Ooh, another historical drama to watch! Thanks! :smile:
Reply 3801
Original post by dbmag9
Where do you find it out from again? Also how does the amount Oxford gives compare to what you get from Student Finance, if that's not too rude a question?

Click the 'view correspondence' tab on the student finance website. My grant from SF was £377, so my Oxford bursary is larger :smile:

Original post by Mel_Denning
lool are we talking about scholarships?

No
(edited 12 years ago)
When is the latest student finance will update with the OOP? I'm still waiting.
Original post by Kattikins
Yeah same! I figured i'd leave the last few about drawing the graphs and ask nicely when I get there :P I just didn't want them to think i was incapable so early on :') I took A level maths and I'm pretty sure there wasn't any mention of light wave equations and stuff :s-smilie:. What are you going to be studying? I'm doing biochemistry.

Exactly! - 'Assume x=0 and draw the graph' - whaaat? I've heard they don't check anyway and I've spoken to a few people who haven't done it at all - at least they say.. But I thought I'd best do it in case I found something really hard that was hiding in there. I'm going to be studying biochem too! What college are you at?
Did anyone get the UMS survey from Oxford?
Original post by qwertyuiop1993

Yep :smile:
Original post by ChopinNocturne
Yep :smile:

I wonder if this happens every year, or if Oxford are thinking of making UMS a more important part of the application process?

Nope. What was it?
Nope. What was it?

From their undergraduate admissions email:

Congratulations on your success in gaining a place to study at the University of Oxford. We are contacting you because we are conducting some research on the A-Level performance of our students, specifically regarding the UMS scores obtained. We intend to study how UMS scores relate to other information gathered during the admissions process, and how they link to performance during your time at the University. This information will provide invaluable insights for the future evolution of our admissions process.

We would greatly appreciate your help in this matter, so ask that you visit our online survey and provide details of the UMS marks you obtained in your A-Level exams. The form can be found at:

www.survey.bris.ac.uk/oxford/ums?x1=1066671807

(please do not be alarmed at the fact this is not an Oxford web address this is just the survey tool we use)

Please could you complete the survey no later than Monday 17th October. Many thanks in advance for your assistance
Not heard anything about a UMS survey.

Also, still not heard anything about the OOB :frown:
Reply 3810
No UMS survey (although I didn't do A-levels anyway), no OOB and still can't get my Oxford email address since I only posted my contracts two days ago. Poor me.
From their undergraduate admissions email:

Congratulations on your success in gaining a place to study at the University of Oxford. We are contacting you because we are conducting some research on the A-Level performance of our students, specifically regarding the UMS scores obtained. We intend to study how UMS scores relate to other information gathered during the admissions process, and how they link to performance during your time at the University. This information will provide invaluable insights for the future evolution of our admissions process.

We would greatly appreciate your help in this matter, so ask that you visit our online survey and provide details of the UMS marks you obtained in your A-Level exams. The form can be found at:

www.survey.bris.ac.uk/oxford/ums?x1=1066671807

(please do not be alarmed at the fact this is not an Oxford web address this is just the survey tool we use)

Please could you complete the survey no later than Monday 17th October. Many thanks in advance for your assistance

Clicked. Apparently, I've already completed this survey. Hmm.
Original post by brendan.

Exactly! - 'Assume x=0 and draw the graph' - whaaat? I've heard they don't check anyway and I've spoken to a few people who haven't done it at all - at least they say.. But I thought I'd best do it in case I found something really hard that was hiding in there. I'm going to be studying biochem too! What college are you at?

I'm at Trinity (: You? Do you think we'll be getting any booklists and stuff? It feels strange going to Oxford with a severe lack of text books. We'll maybe have to spend a load of cash on them in the first week.. :s-smilie:
Reply 3813
Clicked. Apparently, I've already completed this survey. Hmm.

I imagine we all recieve unique urls

I'm at Trinity (: You? Do you think we'll be getting any booklists and stuff? It feels strange going to Oxford with a severe lack of text books. We'll maybe have to spend a load of cash on them in the first week.. :s-smilie:

Christ Church has a £70/year book grant, perhaps other colleges do the same?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lucius
I imagine we all recieve personalised urls

Trinity has a £50 book grant, which I am thankful for...(not that it covers the cost of all my books :s-smilie:)
Original post by Lucius
I imagine we all recieve personalised urls

I think Magdalen give their freshers around £100 for books. May be wrong, but I'm sure I read they give book grants to all. Very generous.

Christ Church! As somebody else pointed out, at Christ Church we do indeed get a nice book grant of £210 for the entire course, which has to be claimed in £70 denominations. I don't have a booklist, but the letter that I got off ChCh's biochem reps says that generally the libraries will have all that we needed. They did list a few books, and they only really recommended that it might be a good idea to buy one of them, but simply because there's a limited supply of it or something? I'm going to ask them whether I should get any of them, but I'd imagine we're fine! I'm just going to make sure I've read over my A Level notes again so that I don't turn up clueless! :P

Christ Church! As somebody else pointed out, at Christ Church we do indeed get a nice book grant of £210 for the entire course, which has to be claimed in £70 denominations. I don't have a booklist, but the letter that I got off ChCh's biochem reps says that generally the libraries will have all that we needed. They did list a few books, and they only really recommended that it might be a good idea to buy one of them, but simply because there's a limited supply of it or something? I'm going to ask them whether I should get any of them, but I'd imagine we're fine! I'm just going to make sure I've read over my A Level notes again so that I don't turn up clueless! :P

Good idea! I might bring some of my A level notes to help, because i have no doubt that a great deal of knowledge has leaked out of my brain over the last few months :P Hopefully there won't be too many text books to worry about though (: Do you think that we have to wait to get a lab coat in Oxford? - They'll probably recommend a certain type :P
Trinity has a £50 book grant, which I am thankful for...(not that it covers the cost of all my books :s-smilie:)

How did you find out about the book grant? They sent us a lot of information, but i don't think i read anything about it :P How do we apply? :biggrin:
Good idea! I might bring some of my A level notes to help, because i have no doubt that a great deal of knowledge has leaked out of my brain over the last few months :P Hopefully there won't be too many text books to worry about though (: Do you think that we have to wait to get a lab coat in Oxford? - They'll probably recommend a certain type :P

Yeah, I've forgotten loads, so I best look over it again. I think we order them when we 'sign on' or something at the labs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending