The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Can somebody explain Confidence Intervals to me in a nice, simple way? :puppyeyes:

CI: If you were to repeat the study, how CONFIDENT would you be that the result you got falls into a specified range?

E.g. If I rolled a dice and repeated it, I'm 100% confident I would get between 1 and 6
Reply 5701
Original post by Helenia
As in the lead aprons you have to wear in cath lab, orthopaedic theatre etc. I hate them with a passion.

ERCP lists used to kill my back!
Hmm - core strength. Wibble. :redface:

So, I've had this week off post-nights. Weeks off aren't as fun when no one else has one & you feel broke because of payroll mess-ups :rolleyes:
Original post by Helenia
As in the lead aprons you have to wear in cath lab, orthopaedic theatre etc. I hate them with a passion.

Okay simple terms were required.
Is it wrong that im craving an alcoholic drink right now?
There's no Internet in my house and half of my mates aren't back yet, so I'm being about as lazy as I've ever been. Doesn't feel good, especially when there is a weights bench gathering dust in the garage.
Reply 5704
Original post by RollerBall
On setting out to get drunk with the Freshers I never imagined one of them would piss me off that much.
Only one?
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Can somebody explain Confidence Intervals to me in a nice, simple way? :puppyeyes:

Confidence intervals are a range of values where the true value lies, but you're only 95% sure it lies within that range. If 0 is included in the confidence interval then you accept the null hypothesis (the null hypothesis is theres no difference between the proposed treatment and not using the treatment) so you say that we cannot disprove the null hypothesis and therefore you accept it.

The range of the confidence interval is also important; the smaller it is the more reliable the date as there's a smaller range that contains the real value.

(The more I try and explain the more I realise how much I've forgotten this!):redface:
Original post by Helenia

:yes:

Original post by Elles
ERCP lists used to kill my back!
Hmm - core strength. Wibble. :redface:

I'm glad you both share the sentiment.

Original post by fairy spangles
Okay simple terms were required.

I wasn't quite sure what you didn't understand, but I'll bear it mind next time
Reply 5707
Original post by Helenia
We have really light ones in resus here. Much better than the standard ones, although sitting down for most of a list does have it's bonuses.
Its okay - I think im having a mid life crisis anywho - in my 20's!!
I have the urge to dye my hair pink and disappear to ibiza for the next few seasons.
Would buy a motorbike but would just have to look at it for 8 months!

Does being in this career forever scare anyone? This is what im doing for the rest of my life - that just hit me like a sledge hammer! Someone pass me a paper bag i think im going to hyperventilate!
Thanks to everyone who helped (and rep to you all :smile:) I had a seminar on CIs today, so feel a bit better about them than I did after my lecture on Tuesday :zomg:
Reply 5710
I have the urge to dye my hair pink and disappear to ibiza for the next few seasons.

Try a pink wig. I wore one to a neon party a few months ago - it was fun. Especially as the style/length was very similar to my real hair - just a different colour. :biggrin:

Does being in this career forever scare anyone? This is what im doing for the rest of my life - that just hit me like a sledge hammer! Someone pass me a paper bag i think im going to hyperventilate!

Hmm, it seems pretty diverse to me. I know I'm going to be a doctor but where (geographically, type of practice, my role?) is a fairly big question mark so less scary...
I do feel in a pre-hyperventilation state consistently at the moment with other life issues though! :tongue:
Would buy a motorbike but would just have to look at it for 8 months!

I had red hair in my first year (but had red bits in the front). Ooh I've always wanted a motorcycle but I've had a few car accidents so am a bit scared of driving one!

Also opinions on being put into deciles for foundation programme applications? Just found out that Leicester will tell us what decile we're in at start of fifth year but all the more worried now :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5712
Original post by i'm no superman
Yup! Congrats on getting the project you wanted. When do you start your BSc? It's my first day tomorrow. I have a meeting with my supervisors tomorrow afternoon at King's College Hospital, which is a bit of a trek from Guy's campus.

Cheers :biggrin: I've got an induction day on monday, but lectures don't start for another week thankfully!

How did your first day / the meeting go?

Leads?
I automaticcaly thought of car jump leads - but im guessing thats not true!

it's not the jump leads that weigh - it's the batteries you want to watch out for! :wink:
Take was really good, clerk my own patients, present, bloods, repeat. I'd forgotten how much a madhouse the acute medical take is. Felt good to actually be useful :smile:
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Also opinions on being put into deciles for foundation programme applications? Just found out that Leicester will tell us what decile we're in at start of fifth year but all the more worried now :s-smilie:

Does deciles mean more points are being awarded to academics, or simply that people further down the rankings will be getting less points than they previously would? Not entirely sure how I feel about them - tho I think its probably a better way of sifting applicants by academic ability cos the difference between the top and bottom of a quartile can be huge.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Does deciles mean more points are being awarded to academics, or simply that people further down the rankings will be getting less points than they previously would? Not entirely sure how I feel about them - tho I think its probably a better way of sifting applicants by academic ability cos the difference between the top and bottom of a quartile can be huge.

From the email we received:

'3) Educational performance measure will replace educational achievement. This involves students being ranked in deciles (top 10%, 20%, 30% etc) instead of quartiles (top 25%, 50%, 75% etc). Points for additional degrees will remain the same as well as points for prizes, publications and presentations.'

Not sure what the difference is between education achievement and education performance....
Theres an artical in the times about nursing care, really pissed me off after the ptwr and mr, although I was so tired I had no energy for rage. Essentially made out that nursing degrees had eroded the basic care idea of nursing, and said that most care now done by untrained hcas. Peter Carter, that muppet, says he saw HCAs doing bloods and ECGs - 'complicated interventions' supposedly not sutible for mere humble HCAs. It drives me up the wall that now some parts of nursing culture are too posh to wash, but that when care goes well, its goody nurses, and when it dosn't its the ****ty HCAs, obviously. Some of the things HCAs do - bladder scans, ECGs are standard HCA band 3 work in my trust. THey're not complicated, you just have to be shown how to take blood, or how to do a ECG, how well you take blood is a different issue. Many many wards wouldn't run without HCAs, indeed some wards survive on bank HCA workers - perhaps that says more about the ward and ?management. Strikes me that the profession just seems very insecure - the exact same thing happened when nurses took on some traditionally doctory roles. It dosn't help the team to work together then management from the top down are effectively engaged in a elabourate pissing contest, meanwhile, wards go short staffed, as always, nothing gets done and patient care suffers - and then of course, the staff get blamed for being 'inefficient'. The problem with the NHS is that it's being run by a band of jobsworths living in ivory towers spawning out *******s that has nothing to do with the frountline care that we're supposed to be offering, and being paid a ridiculous amount to natter on about it. Its not that as an organisation we don't need management, we do, urgently, is it too much to ask that they manage properly?
Original post by Elles

Hmm, it seems pretty diverse to me. I know I'm going to be a doctor but where (geographically, type of practice, my role?) is a fairly big question mark so less scary...
I do feel in a pre-hyperventilation state consistently at the moment with other life issues though! :tongue:

Ok, I'll bite. Anything you want to share with us? :p:

I wouldn't mind getting an ipad to reduce my carbon footprint. :tongue:

But in all honest, I prefer written notes, I make really detailed notes from lectures textbooks and workbooks so when its revision time all I need to use are my notes. But its definitely a good idea as you can access resources anywhere but for me personally, this leads to a lot of distraction..!

Latest

Trending

Trending