The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louisastage1
Hi guys, I'm a Scottish re-applicant and was hoping you good guys could give me some advice! I have 6 highers at AAAAAA, but I didn't do advanced highers last year. I have a UKCAT of 662.5, and am spending a few months of my year out in a health clinic in Peru. Been looking for a healthcare related sort of job, but there's none in my very rural area!

Was going to apply to Dundee, Edinburgh and Aberdeen as they don't have any specific requirements for re-applicants (as far as I'm aware), but what about my fourth choice?

It better show our determination to the unis, seen as we're all bending our year to suit them!

yay scottish reaplicant.
i don't actually have any advice or anything i just thought i'd reply cos i'm scottish too :colondollar:
Original post by acciodobby
yeah, I thought as much, it's just I think maybe having a job that's so directly linked with hospital work and patients might have a slight advantage that's all. :smile:
I appreciate the advice though.

Hows your app going?
Anyone finished choosing which schools they're going to apply to?:cool:

yeah..probably does help but oh well i'm just glad i have finally found a job now regardless of what field its in!

my app is kinda coming along alright, got a first draft of ps done so just need to start working on that now that ukcat's done and dusted! how about your application?
Original post by laurenl93
UCAS :rant:

My one from last year was like 3970 characters. That's a whole 30 characters lost. could have wrote a whole extra skillword with that. Bastards.

Don't forget the crappy 47line limit too :frown:

"oh yeah, you can't have any more than 4000 characters... Oh? You've actually under the limit? Well, we'll just have to make up some crap that still makes your application too long, just to piss you off then :u: :colonhash: "
Reply 3823
80 characters left to write about what I'm gona do on my gap year :eek: 80 characters! and I can't find anything to cut :frown:

I'm so tempted to give up and just write ****e all.

Or go for broke and make a statement, a nearly blank sheet except for the middle where there appears a single word, because

sighs I wonder if they'll mind if I take out all the full stops
Reply 3824
Do you think Kings would be too risky considering neither my GCSEs or UKCAT are completely spectacular? (4A*,6A,2B and 677.5)
:biggrin:
Original post by joemullally
Still waiting on my tutor to get it all shipped off.
Just my reference and the "ok" to my statement to go, I can taste the freshers!
(not literally, I mean like I don't go round licking freshers)

Box clever, go for the enemy you know. apply to the uni you know most about from the applications, remember you'd still qualify as Doc Brown either way.

Mmh. Think I'm just Gna go with Liverpool, it's not as many million miles away as uea plus The allure of possibly hearing from them at The end of October is jus too sickly sweet
This week I've actually been getting rather excited about sending application off! Similar to when I first started Getting excited about reapplying and choosing where I wanted to apply :h:
Original post by Quackers93
Don't forget the crappy 47line limit too :frown:

"oh yeah, you can't have any more than 4000 characters... Oh? You've actually under the limit? Well, we'll just have to make up some crap that still makes your application too long, just to piss you off then :u: :colonhash: "

when do youhear back from the nursery?
And yes, I'm hoping to get it down to under 4000 and within the 47 lines today :crossedf:
Original post by RO'Gara
80 characters left to write about what I'm gona do on my gap year :eek: 80 characters! and I can't find anything to cut :frown:

I'm so tempted to give up and just write ****e all.

Or go for broke and make a statement, a nearly blank sheet except for the middle where there appears a single word, because

sighs I wonder if they'll mind if I take out all the full stops

What I'm doing in my gap year is a line long :K:
Reply 3827
Original post by louisastage1
Hi guys, I'm a Scottish re-applicant and was hoping you good guys could give me some advice! I have 6 highers at AAAAAA, but I didn't do advanced highers last year. I have a UKCAT of 662.5, and am spending a few months of my year out in a health clinic in Peru. Been looking for a healthcare related sort of job, but there's none in my very rural area!

Was going to apply to Dundee, Edinburgh and Aberdeen as they don't have any specific requirements for re-applicants (as far as I'm aware), but what about my fourth choice?

It better show our determination to the unis, seen as we're all bending our year to suit them!

OMG are you serious!!!! do the universities that you quoted do not have specific requirements for reapplicants??? seroiusly...wow, sounds cool, oh! could you please post me the link to me please?
Reply 3828
hey medical reapplicants I just wanted to ask that is it mandatory to enter all your qualification in the ucas?

I have an E in EPQ and I do not want to state it in my UCAS? What should I do now?
Reply 3829
Original post by superG123
Did anyone apply to Liverpool last year and got rejected after interview (like moi) ?

Lots of people seem to be applying there this year, what are people's opinions; do you think med schools will have more or less applicants this year?

also....my personal statement is ruining my life, just thought i would tell you all.

Yes! Me! I had an interview there in November last year. I'm confused about whether to apply again as I would know what to expect however it could be an opportunity to apply to others. Also, everyone on here seems to be applying there so maybe i will have less chance?! Ahhh, I'm so confused. Are you re-applying there?
I'm hoping less but It's such a competitive course and I don't think people applying to medicine will have changed there minds because of the tution fees. It'll probably be about the same.
I still haven't done my ukcat (it's on wednesday :/) and really not getting to grips with the personal statement. I've barely done anything- can't bring myself round to doing it even though it's so important.
Original post by Shaz51
OMG are you serious!!!! do the universities that you quoted do not have specific requirements for reapplicants??? seroiusly...wow, sounds cool, oh! could you please post me the link to me please?

bear in mind that scottish applicants already have their needed grades when they apply first time, so any other exams they sit that year aren't technically necessary (but definately encourged) whereas english applicants haven't sat the exams yet so think they will have requirements of AAB/AAA or whatever it is for a-levels :redface:
Turns out I didn't get that job on the liver ward cus they went with someone who already worked on a liver ward :/

But err just got a phonecall and PUT YO' HANDS UP IN YOU'RE A HEALTHARE ASSISTANT IN THE SURGERY THEATRE!!

Oioioioioi! :h:

Proper happy thought they were messing me around by not giving me the liver job. Need to go change my personal statement though :|
Original post by laurenl93
Turns out I didn't get that job on the liver ward cus they went with someone who already worked on a liver ward :/

But err just got a phonecall and PUT YO' HANDS UP IN YOU'RE A HEALTHARE ASSISTANT IN THE SURGERY THEATRE!!

Oioioioioi! :h:

Proper happy thought they were messing me around by not giving me the liver job. Need to go change my personal statement though :|

Surgical theatre may be shorter than Liver damaged people ward (or whatever the proper name for it is.)
You may be there.
My personal statement is 6 lines longer than it should be... what do I do now!! I hate this!
(edited 12 years ago)
just pasted my first draft on my ps into ucas, need to get rid of 231 characters, hmm.
Reply 3835
I've got my UKCAT on the 5th October...

GCSEs: 8A*, A, B
A2: A*, 2As

I'm thinking:
UCL
King's
St. Mary's
Bristol?

What d'you think?
Original post by Radekal
I've got my UKCAT on the 5th October...

GCSEs: 8A*, A, B
A2: A*, 2As

I'm thinking:
UCL
King's
St. Mary's
Bristol?

What d'you think?

St Mary's is a hospital in London attached to Imperial I think. I assume you mean Queen Mary's (attached to Bart's)?

Anyway regarding your choices, I would think they seem okay. Bristol is pretty competitive though? And I'm not too sure about how Bart's are selecting people this year.

See what your UKCAT is before deciding.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3837
Original post by Kingbradley6
St Mary's is a hospital in London attached to Imperial I think. I assume you mean Queen Mary's (attached to Bart's)?

Anyway regarding your choices, I would think they seem okay. Bristol is pretty competitive though? And I'm not too sure about how Bart's are selecting people this year.

See what your UKCAT is before deciding.

Yeah Queen Mary's, sorry :colondollar:

Bristol was the only interview I got last year though (last year: Oxford, UCL, Leeds, Bristol)
god damn, my statement is under 4000 characters now, but 4 lines to long. sigh.
Original post by atomos
god damn, my statement is under 4000 characters now, but 4 lines to long. sigh.

How does that even work out? 4,000 characters is around 46/47/48 lines? But 4 lines? Take out spaces between paragraphs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending