The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kattikins
How did you find out about the book grant? They sent us a lot of information, but i don't think i read anything about it :P How do we apply? :biggrin:

I was really bewildered by all the forms at first :biggrin:

http://www.trinity.ox.ac.uk/pages/admissions/loans-grants-and-bursaries.php

You get application forms from the bursary apparently - make sure you keep all the receipts for your academic book purchases. They only pay half of the cost up to a maximum of £50, so you'd have to spend £100 to actually get the maximum :s-smilie:

There's a lot of other financial stuff on there too.

What are you studying?
Original post by deFossard
I've not watched I, Claudius, though I've heard great things about it. Wasn't Derek Jacobi in it? I think Mellete has pretty comprehensively described its accuracy, or lack of.

Yes, I'm thinking about getting involved in the theatre at Oxford. The Magdalen Players sound like a very good group. I'd love to be involved in a version of Danton's Death one day. One of my favourite plays, and it's about the French Revolution. I could play Robespierre.

Have you seen The Borgias? One of the few things that makes me wish I had Sky. I've heard it's actually relatively accurate, because Pope Alexander VI was truly disgusting, and so debauched that Hollywood could hardly exaggerate it.

The Borgias is a pretty good show, actually. Despite how it was billed, I'm finding that is has considerably less gratuitous sex than The Tudors and A Game of Thrones (though the latter was far superior regardless). I'm on episode four at the moment, so I don't know just how the series progresses but it's certainly worth watching. Some of the acting is a little bit poor, for example I find the younger Borgia son wholly unconvincing, but Jeremy Irons's performance is masterful!!!
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
I was really bewildered by all the forms at first :biggrin:

http://www.trinity.ox.ac.uk/pages/admissions/loans-grants-and-bursaries.php

You get application forms from the bursary apparently - make sure you keep all the receipts for your academic book purchases. They only pay half of the cost up to a maximum of £50, so you'd have to spend £100 to actually get the maximum :s-smilie:

There's a lot of other financial stuff on there too.

What are you studying?

Thanks! That's pretty useful to know. There still seems to be a lack of information about accommodation costs though. I'm hoping they're not astronomical! I'm doing Biochemistry. You? :biggrin:
Thanks! That's pretty useful to know. There still seems to be a lack of information about accommodation costs though. I'm hoping they're not astronomical! I'm doing Biochemistry. You? :biggrin:

French :smile:

Accommodation will be £1200 a term, which is on the expensive side for Oxford, but the rooms look nice (from what I've seen) and we get a minifridge :smile:

The student handbook is available somewhere - if you go on the facebook freshers' page someone put up the link.
Reply 3824
That UMS form was a little confusing - I wasn't sure if I should put percentages or just the UMS scores. I mean, putting 56 looks a little bad, and how're they supposed to know it's out of 60 :s-smilie:
Reply 3825
Original post by gasmask
That UMS form was a little confusing - I wasn't sure if I should put percentages or just the UMS scores. I mean, putting 56 looks a little bad, and how're they supposed to know it's out of 60 :s-smilie:

By adding up the other columns?

edit: thus I hope that you put UMS rather than %! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Has anyone heard of a new social network for knowledge and education called myuniii.com? I've met the CEO yesterday (an Oxford grad) and the idea sounds promising. Sorry if this sounds a bit like an ad, but they're a social enterprise and will build one school for every 100,000 people that sign up...you're also rewarded for using the platform in tangible (and financial) ways - something which I thought was quite cool given that other networks don't really reward you in that way....

just wanted to let my fellow freshers know about it! :smile:
xx
Original post by Mel_Denning
Has anyone heard of a new social network for knowledge and education called myuniii.com? I've met the CEO yesterday (an Oxford grad) and the idea sounds promising. Sorry if this sounds a bit like an ad, but they're a social enterprise and will build one school for every 100,000 people that sign up...you're also rewarded for using the platform in tangible (and financial) ways - something which I thought was quite cool given that other networks don't really reward you in that way....

just wanted to let my fellow freshers know about it! :smile:
xx

It does sound like an ad since it's pretty much all you post about.

Freshers tip: Don't go on about it too much when you get to Oxford...
I'm at Trinity (: You? Do you think we'll be getting any booklists and stuff? It feels strange going to Oxford with a severe lack of text books. We'll maybe have to spend a load of cash on them in the first week.. :s-smilie:

Do you have a college mother doing biochemistry? :colondollar: Don't worry about buying loads of books in a rush. I got the 3 textbooks that I found most useful when I went home for the xmas vacation, having spent the whole of the first term using books from the Trinity library and/or the Radcliffe Science Library (which is only a 5-minute walk from the back gate). I still mostly use library books - it's just nice to have my own personal copy of the books I know I'll need to refer to at least once for every tute, although the Inorganic textbook I bought wasn't anywhere near as useful in 2nd year as it was in 1st year! Plus, you can take plenty of library books home over the vacations. :smile:
Original post by gasmask

I just put (in that example) '56/60'

Also, the unique URL thing hadn't occurred to me. I couldn't remember most of mine precisely, so approximated (read: made up) some of them. I'm sure it won't matter at all, but it does make me kinda regret my thought process of "ah, it doesn't matter, they have no idea it's me, anyway!". I did wonder what good this data would be to them anonymous, but didn't complete the logical path. Ho hum.
Reply 3830
Original post by Lucius
By adding up the other columns?

edit: thus I hope that you put UMS rather than %! :tongue:

That wouldn't necessarily work. But I went for the safe bet and put 56/60 etc.
Original post by Poppyxx
It does sound like an ad since it's pretty much all you post about.

Freshers tip: Don't go on about it too much when you get to Oxford...

:smile: Point taken Poppy - though just wanted to spread the word given that it's for a good cause.
x
(edited 12 years ago)
Regarding the UMS thing, I just put the mark i.e. 56 instead of 56/60. It doesn't really matter anyway, I reckon. :biggrin: I'd forgotten how crap I was at some stuff! Which makes me feel all "yaaaay.... essays......". -.-
Original post by barefootfiona
Regarding the UMS thing, I just put the mark i.e. 56 instead of 56/60. It doesn't really matter anyway, I reckon. :biggrin: I'd forgotten how crap I was at some stuff! Which makes me feel all "yaaaay.... essays......". -.-

I did that too.

I'm also the same on the being crap at some things...I hope they don't realise how genuinely awful I did in a couple of my A2 modules and then decide they don't want to take me after all :colondollar:
You know for this survey, there's no option for Economics, so do I put Business, Economics and Accounting, or is that a subject in itself?
Original post by SamF1992
You know for this survey, there's no option for Economics, so do I put Business, Economics and Accounting, or is that a subject in itself?

A quick Google seems to suggest that it isn't an A-level in itself, so it's probably the option to use.
Oh, I put "Other" and put Economics in the column which asks you to say what it was, doubt it'll make much difference.

Just checked SFE, still no Bursary news :frown:
Why does Big Brother exist, and why are there two people from my area making us look bad?
Original post by micky022
Why does Big Brother exist, and why are there two people from my area making us look bad?

At least Big Brother only has two...*cough* Geordie Shore *cough*
Original post by flywithemma
At least Big Brother only has two...*cough* Geordie Shore *cough*

they wanted to make an oxford version of that type of show (well, more like made in chelsea/TOWIE. admittedly i've never seen geordie shore so i don't know what it's like). i really, REALLY hope they gave up on the idea.

http://oxfordstudent.com/2011/05/26/new-tv-show-scouts-oxford-students/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending