The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7320
Original post by Straight up G
This is exaggeration, there ARE medical schools who prefer this (Oxford, Cambridge, Barts, more I'm sure), and surely some who may consider it as a tiebreaker between two candidates.

However, on the whole, yeah, there's no point taking 4, no point at all.

Agreed.
Done any BMAT papers yet?
Original post by Sophia56
HELP/ADVICE PLEASE.
i would love to apply to edinburgh but am told countless times by careers advisors etcetc not to as only scottish get in! im from ni. i have 8A*s 3As, 662.5 in ukcat, and 3 voluntary work, work exp, music and sport. any chance or is it too much of a risk to waste an offer? do they take top 8 gcses or all gcses?

They dont let only Scottish people in!! :rolleyes:
At least I hope they dont as I just sent off my UCAS and they were one of my choices :colondollar:

You sound like a good applicant for them, although everything is a bit of a risk when applying for medicine
Reply 7322
Original post by spoinkytheduck
They dont let only Scottish people in!! :rolleyes:
At least I hope they dont as I just sent off my UCAS and they were one of my choices :colondollar:

You sound like a good applicant for them, although everything is a bit of a risk when applying for medicine

What kind of grades/ukcat did you get? im thinking queens belfast, dundee, leeds and then possibly edinburgh:/
Reply 7323
Original post by purplefrog
You are probably on the low side for KCL unfortunately.
They rank your UKCAT score against the number of A*s you have at GCSE and list all the candidates that way. They then interview the top 20%.
I didn't get called up for interview with 655 avg. and 8.5A*s at GCSE. But then again, I had my UCL offer so withdrew several weeks before the admissions cycle for KCL finished as I wasn't going to take their offer anyway. It might best if you check KCL's 2011 entry applicant's profiles to see how their faired last year.

Hey sorry, do you know where i could find the profiles of those applicants?
Original post by eemooz
Hey sorry, do you know where i could find the profiles of those applicants?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medics_and_Applicants_Profiles
What kind of grades/ukcat did you get? im thinking queens belfast, dundee, leeds and then possibly edinburgh:/

All in the sig :wink:

They sound like good choices, and dont be put off Edinburgh just because of what your career advisors said (as most of the time they're wrong!!) :tongue:

If you want to go for it, go for it :smile:
Original post by Nator
Agreed.
Done any BMAT papers yet?

Just the one S1 paper that night, and I might have done one a really long time ago (March time) as well. Still sorting out the PS and UCAS etc. Will probs start from next week, or maybe next weekend.
Reply 7328
dear all:
ukcat: 652 av
gcses: 3A*s. 4As, 4Bs
as: AAAA (bio, chem, phys & art)
a2 predictions: A*A*A (based on UMS; dropping art).
thinking of applying to leeds, aberdeen, nottingham & bristol?

chances?

also, are scottish universitys going to be more competitive seeing as they'll be even more popular amongst scottish candiates than ever!?
Original post by l.a.s
dear all:
ukcat: 652 av
gcses: 3A*s. 4As, 4Bs
as: AAAA (bio, chem, phys & art)
a2 predictions: A*A*A (based on UMS; dropping art).
thinking of applying to leeds, aberdeen, nottingham & bristol?

chances?

also, are scottish universitys going to be more competitive seeing as they'll be even more popular amongst scottish candiates than ever!?

Not only are the more popular with scots but even more popular for EU students because they still qualify for free tuition. EU students are unlikely to apply to England when they will be charged £9000. If I were English I'd apply in England as I think the chances might be better. I'm applying to all Scottish universities but it's because I'm Scottish and I don't have A at advanced higher.English unis make is quite difficult for us to apply because the requirements are so tough. Only Scottish universities understand the Scottish higher and advanced higher's and in Scotland everything is based on 5 th year higher's.
HELP/ADVICE PLEASE.
i would love to apply to edinburgh but am told countless times by careers advisors etcetc not to as only scottish get in! im from ni. i have 8A*s 3As, 662.5 in ukcat, and 3 voluntary work, work exp, music and sport. any chance or is it too much of a risk to waste an offer? do they take top 8 gcses or all gcses?

Rubbish Edinburgh don't only take Scottish I wish they did! Jk .They looooove good grades and a sound ps. Your ukcat should be fine too:smile:
Reply 7331
hey guys which is nicer out of bristol and liverpool in terms of campus, night life etc... :smile:
Reply 7332
My UMS for AS level

phy1-86/120
phy2-113/120
phy3-44/60

chem1-116/120
chem2-118/120
chem3-59/60

bio1-106/120
bio2-91/120
bio3-50/60

c1-97/100
c2-98/100
c3-88/100
s1-71/100
m1-84/100

Is my ums low to apply to cambridge?will I have a chance at what persentage?are there any colleges of cambridge that not much consider the ums.please give some advice.........please.I'm really confused.please help...........
Reply 7333
Original post by El Mexicano
im a year 12 IB student and i am doing maths studies (the easiest form of maths at my school in IB)

i have researched my chosen universites and called them pesonally. they each said HL maths (the highest level of maths in the IB) was NOT NECESSARY.

all the advisors in my school say that i need to have HL because they will not accept maths studies as an appropriate maths course and i do not want to do HL maths because (A) i dont want to as i dont really enjoy maths even though i am seen as capable (B) why should i if my research says i dont need to?

if it really is necessary i probably could take the HL but only as a last resort.

my only other option for maths is to take HL maths as my school does not provide a SL Maths course (the middle class of difficulty) even though that was what i chose to do on my application form.

would a medical school accept me if i stayed with maths studies?

Extra Info:
GCSE
A chemistry
A biology
A Physics
A Design tecnology
A Spanish
D* ICT (BTECH course)
A German
A English Literature
B English Language
C Business studies

IB Current Subjects
HL Biology
HL Chemistry
HL Psychology
SL English
SL Spanish
Math studies

Hey
Just my piece of advice don't neg rep or w.e
I am IB too and I would recommend math sl as opposed to math studies cuz studies is generally seen as baby math
However, uk unis don't know a lot of IB like cambridge says they do and their offers are 7,7,7 at HL. Insane!
Reply 7334
Original post by apple17
Hey
Just my piece of advice don't neg rep or w.e
I am IB too and I would recommend math sl as opposed to math studies cuz studies is generally seen as baby math
However, uk unis don't know a lot of IB like cambridge says they do and their offers are 7,7,7 at HL. Insane!

Ain't seen you in a while. How did your UKCAT go?
Just sent off my UCAS form... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Original post by MrsNorthman
Just sent off my UCAS form... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Same, feels weird that I don't need to worry about personal statement anymore. Now we just wait...and prepare for BMAT and hopefully interviews :smile:
Original post by oHellno

Original post by oHellno
Same, feels weird that I don't need to worry about personal statement anymore. Now we just wait...and prepare for BMAT and hopefully interviews :smile:

Oh Gosh that makes me feel terrible!! I still need to finish my PS, completely panicking now... Strange that everything seems to have suddenly starting rolling into
action!!

Tomorrow night is PS night, gonna try getting my UCAS sent off next week :smile:

Hope everyone's well and getting excited... Or scared!!!

:biggrin:
Reply 7338
Original post by Besakt
Ain't seen you in a while. How did your UKCAT go?

Hey
same. I sorta like disappeared with IB stress and workload. One month in year 2, and I have 3 quizzes in a week, 2 assignments, 2 labs and a test. insane xD
It went well:702.5 avg, I was aiming higher cuz I prepared more but whats done, is done. How about u and UCAS process. Where u applying?
Reply 7339
Original post by Loulibelle
Oh Gosh that makes me feel terrible!! I still need to finish my PS, completely panicking now... Strange that everything seems to have suddenly starting rolling into
action!!

Tomorrow night is PS night, gonna try getting my UCAS sent off next week :smile:

Hope everyone's well and getting excited... Or scared!!!

:biggrin:

i am excited. next wed when i submit my app: i will be scared. Its kinda terrifying how this affects my future and stuff, also my parents have worked so hard for me and this, so I will feel guilty if i don't even get one interview.
btw, if u only apply to ukcat unis so no bham, brsitol, liverpool: they can't do anything till November right because they get ukcat scores in November i think?

Latest

Trending

Trending