The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bites
Hi ya,

I'am an A2 student and wants to go for medicine. But unfortunately my AS grades turned out as ABBC and the predicted grades for this year is ABB. I really want to do medicine, and i heard about this foundation course. So do have any suggestions.

Get your college to predict you as close to AAA as you can and then get those grades will be your easiest option. BM6 has more applicants per place than standard courses.

Also, there are other criteria for applying to BM6 :

http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/course/bm6/entry/

This is the criteria ^^

If you meet it then you'll be eligible to apply, though you'll need reasons other than slightly disappointing AS grades as it is aimed at someone who comes from a disadvantaged background.

If you meet them, then the best suggestion would be to start getting your personal statement to as high of a standard as you can! Good luck!
Reply 361
Original post by mashalli

Hey,
Well I found the AR the easiest when revising and the hardest when it came to the exam. The rest is ok, just keep practising thats the best thing to do in all areas because, i didnt do much for the last section as it looked fairly straight forward but in the exam the answers are really close together in meaning (the DA).
Good luck let me know how it goes.

What score did you end up getting? I've just done mine....... It was pretty bad, in particular AR!!! :frown:
Reply 362
Original post by tobnot
What score did you end up getting? I've just done mine....... It was pretty bad, in particular AR!!! :frown:

Hey,
I got 550! i know i told you AR is hard! this year for some reason they have made it really hard! what did you get?
Reply 363

Hey,
I got 550! i know i told you AR is hard! this year for some reason they have made it really hard! what did you get?

Hiya,

I got 600! I guessed around 80% of AR :smile: and seriously ran out of time on QR and the on screen calculator is a joke! Oh well, at least BM6 don't use it for selection :biggrin:
Original post by BethaneyJ
Yep, more competition than usual courses (looking at around 14 per place), but quite a lot of interviews :smile:

so doea that mean the offers vs interviews ratio is around 4-5 :curious:, because thats higher than most 5 year courses :afraid:
Reply 365
Original post by IamBeowulf

so doea that mean the offers vs interviews ratio is around 4-5 :curious:, because thats higher than most 5 year courses :afraid:

I take it you're applying then? :smile:
Reply 366
Hey,
I never got the chance to reply to your other message (which i cant find now).I was paniking over the UKCAT.
Well I hope your UKCAT goes well next week because I remember you said you are going to do it next week. I found the AR section the hardest and it dragged my score down completely.
I am doing biology a2 this year and have: history,chemistry and maths (all b's).
Have you written your personal statement, how is that going?
Btw, how are you doing your a2 chemistry, through college or as a private candidate and how are you getting a predicted grade for it? I am doing biology as an external candidate with another place because my college is a sixth form and they dont allow pupils to stay on for third year so i dont know who will predict me a grade because the place i am doing biology with (i only go in for exams and practicals) they wont predict me a grade so my college has to predict me a grade but i wont be doing it in college so i think they will be effy about giving me a predicted grade. I already have a B in my AS but i don't know what theyre going to predict me or how its going to be done:frown:.

I think I deleted that post :L didn't want my grades posted to everyone :biggrin:

I hate the UKCAT, but thank you! I hope so too, although I've been so busy recovering/sleeping ect I need to crack on and do some revision.

Oh nice one! Well done on your grades! My college offered A2 Chemistry via Distant Learning £400!!! I pretty much get no support just had the practical sessions with them and sit the exam. Because I'm still technically a student, my tutor said he would write my statement/predicted grades for me (lucky for me).

If I were you, I would contact your college/referee and remind them that the referee needs to write in your predicted grades. I would then state that at AS level you received a B grade. Discuss your options with them, perhaps if you got a high B, they could predict you an A or if you would prefer, a B. It's really important you communicate with your referee about this. :smile:

There are 19 applicants per place on BM6, 14 per place on BM5. Sorry I didn't make that clear. There are 200 interviews, 45 offers and 30 places :smile:
There are 19 applicants per place on BM6, 14 per place on BM5. Sorry I didn't make that clear. There are 200 interviews, 45 offers and 30 places :smile:

though that still means the offer vs interview ratio is 4/5 : 1
but the interview:applicant ratio is 3:1
though that still means the offer vs interview ratio is 4/5 : 1
but the interview:applicant ratio is 3:1

Yes, these are correct, but there is still a difference of 5 extra applicants per place in BM6 compared to BM5. Don't see where you're going with this... the odds are the odds, it's tough to get in no matter where you apply.... Don't forget BM6 interviews whereas BM5 doesn't, BM6 needs extra criteria, BM5 doesn't, Bm5 you need an outstanding personal statement, but BM6 you can get away with a less good PS and fall back on interview if you are the one in 3...
Reply 370
Yes, these are correct, but there is still a difference of 5 extra applicants per place in BM6 compared to BM5. Don't see where you're going with this... the odds are the odds, it's tough to get in no matter where you apply.... Don't forget BM6 interviews whereas BM5 doesn't, BM6 needs extra criteria, BM5 doesn't, Bm5 you need an outstanding personal statement, but BM6 you can get away with a less good PS and fall back on interview if you are the one in 3...

But remember you have to be TOTALLY AWESOME to apply for the BM6 :dance:
Reply 371
Guys when adding your choice on ucas what do write for point of entry?
Do you leave it blank or put 0 beacuase it says if taking foundation year put 0

Not sure really
Reply 372
Original post by xcoral23
I think I deleted that post :L didn't want my grades posted to everyone :biggrin:

I hate the UKCAT, but thank you! I hope so too, although I've been so busy recovering/sleeping ect I need to crack on and do some revision.

Oh nice one! Well done on your grades! My college offered A2 Chemistry via Distant Learning £400!!! I pretty much get no support just had the practical sessions with them and sit the exam. Because I'm still technically a student, my tutor said he would write my statement/predicted grades for me (lucky for me).

If I were you, I would contact your college/referee and remind them that the referee needs to write in your predicted grades. I would then state that at AS level you received a B grade. Discuss your options with them, perhaps if you got a high B, they could predict you an A or if you would prefer, a B. It's really important you communicate with your referee about this. :smile:

hey,
Yeh once again sorry for not replying quicker:-(.
Yeh I am doing it through another college and because of the practicles each unit has i have to pay £335pounds for unit 4 ALONE!
edexcel biology is a nightmare! i had to call soo many places. Yeh i got a rele high b like 4ums marks away from an A but my college is soo frekking wierd i dont know how theyre going to predict me!
Luck is never on my side:frown:! I emailed my referee just waiting for her reply.
Have you done your personal statement? are a mature student or a gap year student like me?:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 373
Original post by xXA786DXx
Guys when adding your choice on ucas what do write for point of entry?
Do you leave it blank or put 0 beacuase it says if taking foundation year put 0

Not sure really

Isnt point of entry the year it will start? so october 2012?
Reply 374

Isnt point of entry the year it will start? so october 2012?

No its something different if you look on the ucas form you will understand
Reply 375
hey,
Yeh once again sorry for not replying quicker:-(.
Yeh I am doing it through another college and because of the practicles each unit has i have to pay £335pounds for unit 4 ALONE!
edexcel biology is a nightmare! i had to call soo many places. Yeh i got a rele high b like 4ums marks away from an A but my college is soo frekking wierd i dont know how theyre going to predict me!
Luck is never on my side:frown:! I emailed my referee just waiting for her reply.
Have you done your personal statement? are a mature student or a gap year student like me?:smile:

Lol, it's fine, honestly you don't have to apologize - everyone has a life outside of TSR :smile:

It sucks doesn't it! I've gotta pay for module retakes as well. This is such an expensive year!! :frown:

Ohh, well done!! As I said, your referee will be the person to speak to regarding your predicted grades and reference so for the time being - relax :smile:

Luck is never on my side either! We definatly have that in common lol

Nooooo I haven't - I really need to get my ass moving and do it. I mean I've got 2 pages of writing but I keep adding stuff and removing stuff. So far I've done the first paragraph and now completely unsure about the others.

You?

I'm kind of a mature gap year student ha! I will be 20 next month (I feel so old)
Reply 376
Ok, now I'm getting frustrated.

All the stuff I want to include in my PS comes to 7096 characters, I've still gotta cut out 3096 characters.

Damn you UCAS! :frown:
Reply 377
Original post by xcoral23
Ok, now I'm getting frustrated.

All the stuff I want to include in my PS comes to 7096 characters, I've still gotta cut out 3096 characters.

Damn you UCAS! :frown:

I always found it quite a relaxing thing, selecting a line and pressing 'delete' :P

This year there was over 800 applicants, and 40 offers / 29 got in. It was roughly 23/24 to 1 place this year :smile: Hope that helps someone :P
Reply 378
Original post by Thepupil
I always found it quite a relaxing thing, selecting a line and pressing 'delete' :P

This year there was over 800 applicants, and 40 offers / 29 got in. It was roughly 23/24 to 1 place this year :smile: Hope that helps someone :P

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

you actually did that?! I would be so scared that I would cut out something very important.. basically the whole damn thing lol!!

Thanks for the advice though lol

Oh my god. Those statistics are horrifying! If anything that has just made me alot less confident than I was already. Hopefully they will scare people off :colone:
Reply 379
Basically been told by my tutor today at 6th form that I'm not good enough to do medicine, and was asked why am I even bothering to apply! Really puts a downer on things! Really depressing :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending