The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi lads. Good luck with your applications this year. I'm off to sheff in a few days. :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by Moonkin
Hi lads. Good luck with your applications this year. I'm off to sheff in a few days. :smile:

Are you going to the O Camp? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Vulpes
Are you going to the O Camp? :smile:

What's the O camp?

I meant I'm off to sheffield like you.
Reply 63
Original post by Moonkin
What's the O camp?

I meant I'm off to sheffield like you.

Orientation camp. Starts on the 12th.
Reply 64
Original post by Vulpes
Orientation camp. Starts on the 12th.

Ah no, I'm a home student not an international one. So lucky you'll know your way around campus before the rest get there :biggrin:
Reply 65
Original post by Moonkin
Ah no, I'm a home student not an international one. So lucky you'll know your way around campus before the rest get there :biggrin:

I'm not going for the orientation camp :tongue: Its a bit too troublesome, since the accommodation we are assigned to isn't the same one as the one we will be staying in during orientation.
Hey there, I'm applying to Sheffield
Reply 67
Original post by Straight up G
Hey there, I'm applying to Sheffield

taking a chance with 695 average, but so Am I:eek:
Is applying with a 720 UKCAT avg. risky at all??
Reply 69
Original post by spoinkytheduck

No I don't think so - its above last years cutoff, and they are predicting the cutoff to go DOWN from last year. So I'd think you're safe :smile:
Reply 70
Applying here!
Intl applicant
Also, for any other internationals, the cutoff for intls in 2011 according to their email was 2660.
Where have you heard the score is going down from? when i was at the open day in June they said they didn't think it'd go down, but could increase instead! though if they said something else more recently i'd believe that :smile:

I did my UKCAT yesterday, and was expecting a score in the low 600s, but ended up getting 712.5! This means i'm now seriously considering sheffield (having loved it at the open day!) which i never thought would be an option :smile:

though, would it be too risky as my score is lower than the cut off from last year :s
don't want to waste an application as getting offers from anywhere is tight, but would i regret not applying?!
Reply 72
Original post by graceebrown
Where have you heard the score is going down from? when i was at the open day in June they said they didn't think it'd go down, but could increase instead! though if they said something else more recently i'd believe that :smile:

I did my UKCAT yesterday, and was expecting a score in the low 600s, but ended up getting 712.5! This means i'm now seriously considering sheffield (having loved it at the open day!) which i never thought would be an option :smile:

though, would it be too risky as my score is lower than the cut off from last year :s
don't want to waste an application as getting offers from anywhere is tight, but would i regret not applying?!

On their website, they are estimating the cutoff to be about 700. Apparently it shot up so much last year because they had to interview less applicants or something. But this year they will be interviewing more, so predict a lower cutoff.
Original post by twelve
On their website, they are estimating the cutoff to be about 700. Apparently it shot up so much last year because they had to interview less applicants or something. But this year they will be interviewing more, so predict a lower cutoff.

Do you know why they interviewed less last year?
Reply 74
Original post by graceebrown
Do you know why they interviewed less last year?

I'm not actually sure... I did read it somewhere, but I don't know exactly. It was probably funding or something - money is always the reason for changing things! :P
Reply 75
Original post by twelve
I'm not actually sure... I did read it somewhere, but I don't know exactly. It was probably funding or something - money is always the reason for changing things! :P

i think they had an issue last year with giving offers to too many people so when loads of ppl made their offers, they had to like obv allow all of them in and class size increased or something. I read it somewhere but not too sre
Reply 76
Original post by spoinkytheduck

Nope, you will be above the cutoff but you have to make sure that your PS and the rest of your app is good as well. They aren't solely ukcat like newcastle etc
Reply 77
Newcastle is solely ukcat? o.O

What else do sheffield use?

I want to apply to both; I got 650 but have 14 A*'s.
Reply 78
Original post by Teddy
Newcastle is solely ukcat? o.O

What else do sheffield use?

I want to apply to both; I got 650 but have 14 A*'s.

It might be a risk :s-smilie: I feel I am taking a risk applying with 695, The admissions lady said they could not go over their quota last year so interviewed 100 less applicants. Causing the cutoff up, it then came down mid cycle to 717.5 She expected it would go down this year but would not know cutoff till November when this rounds scores are in. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by JessBess
It might be a risk :s-smilie: I feel I am taking a risk applying with 695, The admissions lady said they could not go over their quota last year so interviewed 100 less applicants. Causing the cutoff up, it then came down mid cycle to 717.5 She expected it would go down this year but would not know cutoff till November when this rounds scores are in. Hope this helps :smile:

Well done for the 695 haha:smile: i reckon you'll be alright but just make sure you got a back up choice if you see what i mean.

Got any reccomendations for me? Its hard to find a integrated/systems based course that doesn't have such a high ukcat score cut-off. :frown:

Quick Reply