Scroll to see replies

Original post by flywithemma
At least Big Brother only has two...*cough* Geordie Shore *cough*

At least that's only the cast of one show... *cough* Newcastle *cough*
At least Big Brother only has two...*cough* Geordie Shore *cough*

Do not even speak of that... thing.
Original post by victoire
they wanted to make an oxford version of that type of show (well, more like made in chelsea/TOWIE. admittedly i've never seen geordie shore so i don't know what it's like). i really, REALLY hope they gave up on the idea.

http://oxfordstudent.com/2011/05/26/new-tv-show-scouts-oxford-students/

Oh dear. :s-smilie: it sounds horrific.

which probably means thousands would watch it.

Original post by SamF1992
At least that's only the cast of one show... *cough* Newcastle *cough*

:mad:
that's not very nice. Newcastle is lovely. :tongue:

Original post by micky022
Do not even speak of that... thing.

:colone:
I'm sorry. It's just as much as an insult to myself as it is to you...
Out of interest, is anybody going to be buying college hoodies/t-shirts, or is that a total faux pas?
Reply 3844
Original post by The Anti-Hero
Out of interest, is anybody going to be buying college hoodies/t-shirts, or is that a total faux pas?

From what I gather, Oxford hoodies are only for tourists, but college stash is acceptable. I've heard there are discounts when we go up though, so I'm not buying that in advance.

i went a bit overboard with college stuff and have a hoodie, trackie bottoms and a scarf. i don't actually wear the scarf, but i have it hanging up in my room. lots of people buy college stuff, but the "oxford university" hoodies etc tend to be worn almost exclusively by tourists.

edit: from what i remember, lots of the shops do 2 for 1 deals or similar, and you can get a student discount, so i'd wait until you get your bod card to buy anything.

We got a 'stash' order form from Keble which gave you the option to get a freshers t-shirt (for free) and to buy a hoodie, mug, and diary. I got a hoodie and a t-shirt, I'd also heard the 'college hoodies are acceptable, university ones are not' thing.

A scarf would be so cool though, haha.
Oh dear. :s-smilie: it sounds horrific.

which probably means thousands would watch it.

:mad:
that's not very nice. Newcastle is lovely. :tongue:

:colone:
I'm sorry. It's just as much as an insult to myself as it is to you...

'Every Geordie lad knows he has to have a tan'

I will destroy worlds to find him and kill him slowly.

Original post by dbmag9
From what I gather, Oxford hoodies are only for tourists, but college stash is acceptable. I've heard there are discounts when we go up though, so I'm not buying that in advance.

From what I gather, if you like it you should get it and who cares what other people say? :smile: Hope that didn't come across bitchy! :wink:

I personally don't really like the look of the college hoodies so I'm not sure if I want to get one. Last year when a friend from Japan was visiting we both got touristy Oxford hoodies as a friendship thing, because we love the town, and I still wear it a lot! I probably won't take it to Oxford though because it does feel a little obnoxious. :P Especially since I'm kind of permanently embarrassed that I'm actually going to Oxford.
Original post by barefootfiona
From what I gather, if you like it you should get it and who cares what other people say? :smile: Hope that didn't come across bitchy! :wink:

I personally don't really like the look of the college hoodies so I'm not sure if I want to get one. Last year when a friend from Japan was visiting we both got touristy Oxford hoodies as a friendship thing, because we love the town, and I still wear it a lot! I probably won't take it to Oxford though because it does feel a little obnoxious. :P Especially since I'm kind of permanently embarrassed that I'm actually going to Oxford.

Well the "wear it if you like it" thing is good advice in general, but I wouldn't like to look a total prat and be the only person swanning around in college gear!

But as you've all given pretty much a consensus, it looks like I'll be at the very least buying a Corpus hoodie and t-shirt.

The Oxford shirt I was bought as something of a joke-gift a year back will be staying at home though, by the sounds of things :wink:

Thanks guys :biggrin:
Reply 3850

Clothes are about functionality and appearance. The whole of fashion is based around wearing not just what you like the appearance of but what projects whatever image it is you want to project, and life is about striking that balance. /musing

Your first paragraph kinda clashes with "embarassed to go to Oxford", though. What's embarassing about going to a great uni?
Original post by dbmag9
Clothes are about functionality and appearance. The whole of fashion is based around wearing not just what you like the appearance of but what projects whatever image it is you want to project, and life is about striking that balance. /musing

Your first paragraph kinda clashes with "embarassed to go to Oxford", though. What's embarassing about going to a great uni?

I only own plain t-shirts and jeans, what image do I project? :holmes:
Reply 3852
Original post by micky022
I only own plain t-shirts and jeans, what image do I project? :holmes:

Plain t-shirts and jeans? You will be confronted with new as well as old problems, which keep you occupied for most of the day. Stuck between the old and fresh problems and trying to solve them will keep you busy. Avoid holding major meetings or taking a journey today. Hurdles are also expected at work throughout the day.

Oh wait, sorry, that was Sagittarius. :ninja:
Original post by dbmag9
Plain t-shirts and jeans? You will be confronted with new as well as old problems, which keep you occupied for most of the day. Stuck between the old and fresh problems and trying to solve them will keep you busy. Avoid holding major meetings or taking a journey today. Hurdles are also expected at work throughout the day.

Oh wait, sorry, that was Sagittarius. :ninja:

I laughed out loud.

I'd say the amount of time, effort and money somebody puts into their wardrobe can tell you as much about a person as the actual clothing and style.

And that's definitely not to say that pouring lots of time/effort/money into clothes IS better than not. It's just that, to me at least, it reflects a different sort of mentality.

Huzzah for a prosaic question about hoodies turning into musings on the nature of clothing and fashion.

#onlyonanoxfordthread.
Reply 3854
I probably won't take it to Oxford though because it does feel a little obnoxious. :P Especially since I'm kind of permanently embarrassed that I'm actually going to Oxford.

Also you will probably be stopped by your college porters if you try to walk in disguised as a tourist. >_>
Original post by deFossard
Clicked. Apparently, I've already completed this survey. Hmm.

Whoa whoa whoa carefull! Each survey is individually tied to the person it is sent to! You put in numbers and it matches it to your name. Its not a general survey! If you had put in your UMS results, they would have come up as qwertyuiop1993's personal results. Eeek.
(edited 12 years ago)
"The College Doctor will consider prescribing sleeping tablets if sleeping is a problem. Sleeping tablets should be tried out several weeks before examinations in case the preliminary “hangover” effect causes a problem the next day."

Also, found this little snippet in the examinations section. Knockout drugs for pre-exam hysteria?! I need, I want, but Im also completely freaked out that they are offered!
Original post by Fang_RedDragon
"The College Doctor will consider prescribing sleeping tablets if sleeping is a problem. Sleeping tablets should be tried out several weeks before examinations in case the preliminary “hangover” effect causes a problem the next day."

Also, found this little snippet in the examinations section. Knockout drugs for pre-exam hysteria?! I need, I want, but Im also completely freaked out that they are offered!

this doesn't surprise me really, although it does seem a bit strange that your college handbook includes it. the college doctors are GPs, so it would make sense that they would offer sleeping tablets if you needed them. don't read much into it, i actually found myself much less stressed about oxford exams than i was about my GCSEs/A levels, as were lots of my friends.

I have a college hoodie :yep:
Original post by victoire
this doesn't surprise me really, although it does seem a bit strange that your college handbook includes it. the college doctors are GPs, so it would make sense that they would offer sleeping tablets if you needed them. don't read much into it, i actually found myself much less stressed about oxford exams than i was about my GCSEs/A levels, as were lots of my friends.

Its on the college website under 'coping with exams' or something like that. I found it a rather unnerving and tactless thing to write! :smile:

"Nervous? Don't be! We have drugs!"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending