The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5720
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
From the email we received:

'3) Educational performance measure will replace educational achievement. This involves students being ranked in deciles (top 10%, 20%, 30% etc) instead of quartiles (top 25%, 50%, 75% etc). Points for additional degrees will remain the same as well as points for prizes, publications and presentations.'

Not sure what the difference is between education achievement and education performance....

really think this is a good move!
Reply 5721
Original post by Helenia
Ok, I'll bite. Anything you want to share with us? :p:

:giggle: Oh no, my current particularly podginess is chocolate & cortisol related.

Stress is over house buying! (Summary of status: offer accepted, solicitors in communications, survey done but awaiting quote from builders & payslips from NHS for mortgage company final nod & a date to fit the whole chain together!) Trying to avoid my normal stress response of shoveling chocolate... :frown: :piggy:
Original post by lekky
really think this is a good move!

Fantastic idea, long time coming. Still not enough I reckon. Academic weighting is pissed upon by the current form of FPAS.
Original post by digitalis
Fantastic idea, long time coming. Still not enough I reckon. Academic weighting is pissed upon by the current form of FPAS.

Could you elaborate please? (Not really familiar with the current system is like).

Agree deciles are a good idea however worried as does this mean competitive deaneries are going to get even harder to get into? Like London? Also with the academic programmes too.

Anyway more changes are:

'Situational judgement tests will go live next year (2012) and will replace white space questions.'

If by white space Q's they mean questions like describe a situation where you have shown integrity etc.. then they are more than welcome! I like situational judgement tests but they didn't really work in the UKCAT...
Could you elaborate please? (Not really familiar with the current system is like).

Agree deciles are a good idea however worried as does this mean competitive deaneries are going to get even harder to get into? Like London? Also with the academic programmes too.

Anyway more changes are:

'Situational judgement tests will go live next year (2012) and will replace white space questions.'

If by white space Q's they mean questions like describe a situation where you have shown integrity etc.. then they are more than welcome! I like situational judgement tests but they didn't really work in the UKCAT...

Yes, our year are trialling the SJTs.

What I mean is that the white space questions are worth 50%, your academic ranking worth 40% and any other educational achievements are worth 10%.

The difference between first quartile and bottom quartile (1st ranked and 300th ranked??) is 40% - 34%.

That is a joke imo. The white space questions are so BSy and waffly it reads like a list of buzzwords out of Good Medical Practice mixed with a communication skills session to create a horrible, bastardly abomination.
Yes, our year are trialling the SJTs.

What I mean is that the white space questions are worth 50%, your academic ranking worth 40% and any other educational achievements are worth 10%.

The difference between first quartile and bottom quartile (1st ranked and 300th ranked??) is 40% - 34%.

That is a joke imo. The white space questions are so BSy and waffly it reads like a list of buzzwords out of Good Medical Practice mixed with a communication skills session to create a horrible, bastardly abomination.

Seriously, white space is worth more than academic ranking? I had honestly thought it was like 75% academia. Gosh thats mental. Thats really unfair, knowing medicine makes you a better doctor than being able to 'reflect' and write about yourself.

In that case, quite happy with the new system coming into place!
(edited 12 years ago)
My dad gave me my quote of the day:

digitalis' Dad
You have to have something to communicate in the first place.
My dad gave me my quote of the day:

Oddly, someone from your year (I think) said something like that today about Barts students and their communication skills.
Seriously, white space is worth more than academic ranking? I had honestly thought it was like 75% academia. Gosh thats mental. Thats really unfair, knowing medicine makes you a better doctor than being able to 'reflect' and write about yourself.

In that case, quite happy with the new system coming into place!

Tbh though, academic ability =/= ability to be a good junior doctor, which is essentially what you're applying for. Knowing the 13 branches of the lumbar plexus or the structure of the ribosome will help your academic rating, but will help little when it comes to the actual job.
What I learned today: 'Lecture' is just a longer word for 'nap'. 2 hours PBL introductory session doubly so.
Original post by Elles
:giggle: Oh no, my current particularly podginess is chocolate & cortisol related.

Stress is over house buying! (Summary of status: offer accepted, solicitors in communications, survey done but awaiting quote from builders & payslips from NHS for mortgage company final nod & a date to fit the whole chain together!) Trying to avoid my normal stress response of shoveling chocolate... :frown: :piggy:

Oooh, you've bought somewhere? How exciting!

Sorry for the assumption - I've had a couple of "happy announcements" lately (including one at the wedding which I was SO excited about!) so it's easy to jump to conclusions...
Reply 5731
Original post by Helenia
Oooh, you've bought somewhere? How exciting!

Sorry for the assumption - I've had a couple of "happy announcements" lately (including one at the wedding which I was SO excited about!) so it's easy to jump to conclusions...

Need to build the nest first! :tongue: & get in pre-pregnancy shape with drainpipe veins...

:yep: It says 'SOLD' outside now (met with builders there yesterday) which is exciting but not holding my breath until we have the keys... just hyperventilating intermittently about the whole project. Definitely more £££s than the wedding. :eek:
re deciles, there's still only 10 percent separating bottom decile from top decile (34-43 points)

so yes, some improvement but not massively
Original post by Captain Crash
Tbh though, academic ability =/= ability to be a good junior doctor, which is essentially what you're applying for. Knowing the 13 branches of the lumbar plexus or the structure of the ribosome will help your academic rating, but will help little when it comes to the actual job.

Agreed. But being a good junior doctor =/= aiming for minimum competency in exams, academic or otherwise. I'm sure you agree we should reward effort where it's due!
Original post by Elles
Need to build the nest first! :tongue: & get in pre-pregnancy shape with drainpipe veins...

I went to try and give blood today and they couldn't do it! That was not good for my self-esteem.

Are you in the "I want a prophylactic grey venflon" camp too then?
Reply 5735
Original post by Helenia
May I? :colone:
Original post by Renal
May I? :colone:

Whatever does it for you. :p: You might use local, which the maidwives probably wouldn't once they know my job...

My hands are quite easy, but not suitable for blood donations, and the veins in my ACFs are a bit deep.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Stuff

Via email, me not interested, thought you might be...

Spoiler

Reply 5738
Original post by Helenia

:five: Also contemplating a birthing-partner who should be a neonatal SpR by then. Mr Elles' can get involved pacing outside. :wink:

Watching the faff when 'low risk' turned into crash GA section (with stillbirth) as a medical student & being on resus when a 'PVB ?pregnant' got walked round by the (awesome) triage nurse which turned out to be more of a fundus-above-umbilicus-major-obstetric-haemorrhage... :no:

I have a perfectly shaped & conveniently sited left dorsal hand 2 branch fork vein but I think anyone coming at me with anything bigger than pink would make me wince right now & my ACFs are a bit meh with overlying tissue at present! Maybe a trip via Paeds for some magic cream & rock up w/ patches on. Or time to start getting friendly with the local Anaes Drs when we move house (convenient location includes proximity to hospital with Midwife Lead birthing unit adjacent to the Consultant Lead one!).

Renal, do you have a labour ward job or is that sort fo thing further on when people are pure Anaes?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5739
Original post by Elles
Renal, do you have a labour ward job or is that sort fo thing further on when people are pure Anaes?
I didn't as F2, probably won't as CT2 but I expect I'll do three months as an ST2.

Wonder if I can put it off any longer.

Latest

Trending

Trending