The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paperstars123
Hey, what do you all think about Bristol and Nottingham? Which is better in terms of reputation/prospects? Which would you pick and why?

I'd appreciate any comments on the benefits and drawbacks of them. Thanks a lot!

Bristol>Nottingham, but not by a significant amount.

If you get offers from both it's best to look at both course structures and the university life.
In the end both have excellent reputations, one is only marginally better than the other, so I would consider the enjoying the uni (and essentially being able to work better and be more motivated as a result) to be more important.
Original post by Confused101

If you get offers from both it's best to look at both course structures and the university life.
In the end both have excellent reputations, one is only marginally better than the other, so I would consider the enjoying the uni (and essentially being able to work better and be more motivated as a result) to be more important.

Yeap that's what I thought - that their reputations are similarly good. Do you mind sharing the differences in university life between both of them? I haven't been to both unis before, just know that Nottingham is more modern and bigger, while Bristol is more traditional in architecture but the course seems harder?
Reply 3242

I don't agree, if you have one Economics graduate from Bristol and one from Nottingham, the university they came from would not be a factor taken into consideration when comparing them. Nottingham's course is also extremely flexible (more than any other economics degree I have seen), making it better IMO.
Reply 3243
i am slightly concerned now as i have received my AS levels but got a B in Biology. I want to study economics at Warwick.
Breakdown:
Economics (194/200) - A
Maths/stats (276/300) - A
Chemistry (263/300) - A
Biology (239/300) - B ... missed the A by 1 UMS!! - DROPPED THIS SUBJECT

i have 9.5 A*s and 2As at GCSE and want to apply for Economics.

i want to apply to: cambridge, warwick, bath, birmingham(safety)

i cannot decide if i should put in nottingham or LSE as one of my choices! please help!
my school does not offer further maths... DO I HAVE A CHANCE AT THESE UNIS AND SHOULD I PUT IN LSE OR NOTTINGHAM?
Original post by Tateco
I don't agree, if you have one Economics graduate from Bristol and one from Nottingham, the university they came from would not be a factor taken into consideration when comparing them. Nottingham's course is also extremely flexible (more than any other economics degree I have seen), making it better IMO.

I understand that both Bristol and Nottingham are reputable universities and perhaps they can't be compared through solely reputation/ranking. I'm more interested to know about the difference between the university life at both, as well as the cities. I don't have the chance to visit, so hopefully I get some feedback about the living environment, which is as important as the academics.
Reply 3245
Original post by paperstars123
I understand that both Bristol and Nottingham are reputable universities and perhaps they can't be compared through solely reputation/ranking. I'm more interested to know about the difference between the university life at both, as well as the cities. I don't have the chance to visit, so hopefully I get some feedback about the living environment, which is as important as the academics.

I've only visited Nottingham, and the campus was nice, very green and open, economics building was a bit old-fashioned but can't be too picky! Haven't seen Bristol, you would be better off asking people who are actually there...
Well LSE and Notts there's quite a large gap in terms of reputation (particularly in banking), so I'd choose LSE without even thinking of it.

However if UCL or Warwick had Nottingham's social life, then I'd be more willing to consider rejecting LSE, since while LSE is still more reputable UCL and Warwick are very close behind.

Also, the social side is more important that you think, as it's not just about the idea of having stories to tell to your friends and getting drunk, but also to do with how if you enjoy being at the university and the new life you live, you'll work better and be more motivated.
I'd imagine being at a university you don't enjoy will hinder your academic performance somewhat.
Again, that's where I'd seriously consider another similar-rep uni with a great social life.

But since neither UCL or Warwick have a particularly stand-out social life, I'd still be inclined to go LSE.

UCL and Warwick I've heard have great social lives. I know that UCL is brilliant for this so I don't really know why you'd think that :confused:
Well LSE and Notts there's quite a large gap in terms of reputation (particularly in banking), so I'd choose LSE without even thinking of it.

However if UCL or Warwick had Nottingham's social life, then I'd be more willing to consider rejecting LSE, since while LSE is still more reputable UCL and Warwick are very close behind.

Also, the social side is more important that you think, as it's not just about the idea of having stories to tell to your friends and getting drunk, but also to do with how if you enjoy being at the university and the new life you live, you'll work better and be more motivated.
I'd imagine being at a university you don't enjoy will hinder your academic performance somewhat.
Again, that's where I'd seriously consider another similar-rep uni with a great social life.

But since neither UCL or Warwick have a particularly stand-out social life, I'd still be inclined to go LSE.

Yeah I agree, you only go to university once, then you spend a lot of your life working so it is better to enjoy yourself. Also despite LSE is great rep, I reckon its better to have a first from Nottingham then a 2:2 from LSE. TBH, I've given up on looking at reputation, I'm thinking as long as I go to any top ten uni, reputation wise it will be fine :smile:
Original post by Psychotic546
UCL and Warwick I've heard have great social lives. I know that UCL is brilliant for this so I don't really know why you'd think that :confused:

True! What I've heard they have great social lives. Especially UCL. And I don't quite understand why everyone here is saying that LSE's social life sucks. It is London!!! Maybe the students at LSE are a bit weird but you can always find friends at King's and UCL. You don't HAVE to hang out with the LSE students. London has so many opportunities...
LSE's social life sucks because of the people there. You arent gonna go clubbing by yourself, are you?
Reply 3250
Original post by crazy1234
Yeah I agree, you only go to university once, then you spend a lot of your life working so it is better to enjoy yourself. Also despite LSE is great rep, I reckon its better to have a first from Nottingham then a 2:2 from LSE. TBH, I've given up on looking at reputation, I'm thinking as long as I go to any top ten uni, reputation wise it will be fine :smile:

Definitely.
Original post by -Illmatic-
LSE's social life sucks because of the people there. You arent gonna go clubbing by yourself, are you?

Of course not. But you can always make friends at other unis. Doesn't LSE even offer shared accomodation with King's College London? (at least I heard something like that) I don't want to defend LSE here because it isn't my dream uni either. But you can't just say that the social life sucks. It is always what you make out of it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nightmare91
True! What I've heard they have great social lives. Especially UCL. And I don't quite understand why everyone here is saying that LSE's social life sucks. It is London!!! Maybe the students at LSE are a bit weird but you can always find friends at King's and UCL. You don't HAVE to hang out with the LSE students. London has so many opportunities...

Exactly what I said. Admittedly at first I thought that about LSE but then the accommodation is mixed in with UCL and Kings and well it's London, there's ALWAYS something happening.
Anyone sent of their UCAS form?
Reply 3254

Nearly, I'm sending mine off some time next week, as our internal school deadline is the 30th
Reply 3255

Original post by somaiyar
Nearly, I'm sending mine off some time next week, as our internal school deadline is the 30th

Same :colone:
Finally a PS Helper. Will take a look through your PS's now if you do post them:colone:
Reply 3257
Original post by StarChamber
Finally a PS Helper. Will take a look through your PS's now if you do post them:colone:

Fancy taking a quick look at mine? I'll PM you the link and put my most recent one on there if you get a sec :tongue:
Hey guys I need a wee bit of advice on where to apply for economics this year.

First off, my AS didnt go brilliantly :|

I got BBBD in Economics, French, Maths and Chem

Both Economics and French are pending remarks so fingers crossed they go up! (1 UMS and 2 UMS off the next grade respectively)

I've also managed to presuade my college maths teacher to teach me AS and A2 Further Mathematics and I'm coping really well with it at the moment!

I've dropped Chemistry and I'm getting predicted grades of A*AAB/A*AAA/AAAA in Maths, FM, Economics and French

Most likely AAAA

I'm planning on making an exceptional statement and i'm looking at places such as Bristol (study in Europe) and Nottingham (with French)

What are my chances...

:s-smilie:

Amy
Tateco get in the queue :rant:

jk, jk

:tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending