The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

is leicester a nice place/area?

im planning on going to the open day on saturday and asking my friends but NO ONE wants to come, i havent asked that many but they said its not the nicest place and they dont do their course. and please dont just comment you've got no friends :P

thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by maloneyt
im planning on going to the open day on saturday and asking my friends but NO ONE wants to come, i havent asked that many but they said its not the nicest place and they dont do their course. and please dont just comment you've got no friends :P

thanks.

Go to the open day, judge for yourself :smile:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
I completely fell in love with it at the open day. Just go, you could miss out if you don't!
Reply 3
its a nice place, just go to the open day and see for yourself :tongue: what course btw?
Reply 4
Leicester :love:
I loved it even before the open day :colondollar: But you should go on your own, and take your time looking around and stuff.

(I bet i won't even get into UoL... lol... :s-smilie:)
Reply 5
Original post by Dezzer
its a nice place, just go to the open day and see for yourself :tongue: what course btw?

mechanical engineering hopefully :smile:
Reply 6
The area around the uni is really nice. The town centres main shopping place (and most of the clubs) are recently refurbished and lovely.
I bet it is so much better than you imagine; but as someone above me said, go judge for yourself :smile:.
I took a train from Bristol to go to the open day by myself. I can tell you that it was worth it.

The only way to find out if it's right for you is if you go there yourself.
Reply 8
Original post by maloneyt

thanks.

i live there and i hate it. its a boring place and i find it pretty segregated; asians and asians, whites with whites, polish peeps with their lot.
Reply 9
Well I've been here for 18 years, so I'm either bias or more than qualified to answer this question :P

The area around the Universities and the city centre is pretty nice. Around the University is very nice actually. Not too crowded (compared to when I've been say London or Birmingham) and the Highcross has a lot of choice there, compared to when it was The Shires. Lot of different ethnic groups, and at Clock Tower every Saturday there's always some people appealing for money or singing their religious songs.

I did get called a "f***ing cream cracker" by a black dude once when I was waiting outside William Hill lol!

The further away it does get a little less maintained but I'd see no reason why you'd ever venture that far, there are no clubs or shopping facilities or anything.
Reply 10
cheers guys, i went to the open day today and loved it. quite small compared to others, and very nice. the o2 academy is great too!
Original post by Dannyboy11
I did get called a "f***ing cream cracker" by a black dude once when I was waiting outside William Hill lol!

haha

are there many black people in Leicester?
Original post by TheBlackMonster
haha

are there many black people in Leicester?

Fair few, fair few Asians and white people too.

Leicester is very multicultural.
I must admit before I went to the Leicester open day, I was expecting the city to be a bit on the grim side (no disrespect to anyone living there). When I was actually there, I thought it seemed like a pretty nice place, and I'm pleased to be going there in just under a week's time :biggrin:
I fell in love with Leicester almost two years to the day. Honestly.

Before I came I was apprehensive, but my auntie encouraged me to go to the open day as she studied Physics here too, and I got here, and as sad as it sounds, when you get a 'feeling' about a place, you just know it's the place you want to be. I love the area, I come from a small village and the largest local place is Canterbury (it's actually tiny...) so Leicester is pretty big for me. But then I had housemates from London last year and they felt it was really small. It really does depend on what you're used to and what you want from uni life. Leicester is pretty much perfect for me. :h:

I feel safe enough to walk around on my own as I do at home, there's a really wide range of shops and restaurants, cafes and bars and clubs to go to, I still haven't had time to visit everywhere yet! Hopefully joining the baking soc this year, cafe crawls, woo :biggrin:

As others have said, judge for yourself. You won't know until you get here. I really recommend it though. :smile:

edit: ...err, neg rep? why?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
I went to the open day and loved it, but they didn't talk about the city or have a city tour. This made me think a little as every open day I have been too had a city tour. It makes me wonder what they are trying to hide and if what I have been hearing about Leicester being boring is true?
Reply 16
Original post by Jivi
I went to the open day and loved it, but they didn't talk about the city or have a city tour. This made me think a little as every open day I have been too had a city tour. It makes me wonder what they are trying to hide and if what I have been hearing about Leicester being boring is true?

^ The city is fine, the uni is about a 5 minute walk from the centre of leicester, so i assume they just didnt think of talking about it.

in terms of night life, there are plenty of events in the city, but the majority are in the o2 acadamy in the actual Student union on campus :biggrin:
in terms of shopping and stuff there is plenty, there is a shopping centre in the city
http://www.highcrossleicester.com/website/stores.aspx
and many shops lining the road along the uni (London road), full of takeaways and stuff....

it is in no way boring, i lived in london all my life then came to Leicester for uni, not much different! (except it is smaller, (but i mean what would be bigger than london?)

let me know if you have any questions
Reply 17
nice city, not too crowded not too quiet..
Original post by siani-chan
I fell in love with Leicester almost two years to the day. Honestly.

Before I came I was apprehensive, but my auntie encouraged me to go to the open day as she studied Physics here too, and I got here, and as sad as it sounds, when you get a 'feeling' about a place, you just know it's the place you want to be. I love the area, I come from a small village and the largest local place is Canterbury (it's actually tiny...) so Leicester is pretty big for me. But then I had housemates from London last year and they felt it was really small. It really does depend on what you're used to and what you want from uni life. Leicester is pretty much perfect for me. :h:

I feel safe enough to walk around on my own as I do at home, there's a really wide range of shops and restaurants, cafes and bars and clubs to go to, I still haven't had time to visit everywhere yet! Hopefully joining the baking soc this year, cafe crawls, woo :biggrin:

As others have said, judge for yourself. You won't know until you get here. I really recommend it though. :smile:

edit: ...err, neg rep? why?

About your sig: Listen to the tommy trash remix, it's the one deadmau5 plays live on his sets. So good.
Original post by Obscenedilemma
About your sig: Listen to the tommy trash remix, it's the one deadmau5 plays live on his sets. So good.

Oh, thank you! :h: I've been looking for the live version that I heard him play a week or so ago (itunes festival I think), couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks, very much appreciated! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest