The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by DoubleNegative
Psychology at Lancaster, Manchester, Sheffield, Lincoln or Hull.
I'm really worried about getting in, even though I can get the grades. (AAB)
I'm just really panicking about personal statements and year 13 workload/exams. Does anyone have any advice? :s-smilie:

Luckily for you, you have come to the right place :biggrin: I'm a bit tired at the moment to find you all the links, but if you know how to search the Wiki you can find a guide to writing a psychology personal statement as well as sample personal statements. Also, there is a free and confidential personal statement checking service where current psychology students/graduates will read through and make suggestions on full drafts (please do not post your PS in any other part of the website).

Just a friendly hint: instead of making lots of posts in a row, use the multiquote button (the button next to Quote button with the addition sign) :smile:
Original post by Bluth.
Luckily for you, you have come to the right place :biggrin: I'm a bit tired at the moment to find you all the links, but if you know how to search the Wiki you can find a guide to writing a psychology personal statement as well as sample personal statements. Also, there is a free and confidential personal statement checking service where current psychology students/graduates will read through and make suggestions on full drafts (please do not post your PS in any other part of the website).

Just a friendly hint: instead of making lots of posts in a row, use the multiquote button (the button next to Quote button with the addition sign) :smile:

Ah thank you so much! I'll have a look at that. :smile: Is the Wiki on here? (I'm new to all this, and I'm still trying to figure it all out. :tongue: )

Haha yeah, I just kept coming across all these posts I wanted to reply to and they all ended up piling on top of one another. :colondollar:

Thanks again! :biggrin:
Yeah it's on the wiki here - look under the subject specific guides, either in my sig, or from the personal statements tab at the top of TSR :smile:
Great, thanks xKTx. :smile:
Reply 164
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Thanks for the level headed reply. I normally just get raging pre-freshers foaming at the mouth when I try to give them realistic advice. They just disagree with anything that goes against what they want to hear. At the end of the day, university is a financial investment and should be considered as scrupulously as any other financial decision.

Surely it's not entirely fair to broadcast your own opinions of the benefits of a Psychology degree. It's an incredibly competitive degree because it's so versatile, if you are interested in a subject enough to want to dedicate your career to it surely £9000 a year is a small price to pay. Some people on here are probably quite offended at your disregard for the subject, considering this is a thread for hopeful applicants. Maybe your own choices were what lead to you disliking the degree and not the 'scary stats'. your degree is what you make it, you're not just going to walk out of uni and be handed a job on a plate.
Original post by BexyBear
Surely it's not entirely fair to broadcast your own opinions of the benefits of a Psychology degree.

Er, why not? Just because they are negative? Jog on.

It's an incredibly competitive degree because it's so versatile

It's not competitive or versatile.

Some people on here are probably quite offended at your disregard for the subject, considering this is a thread for hopeful applicants.

So? Anyway, why should they be offended? People need to be critical of the choices that they make in life and you cannot be criticial if you insist on having the negative opinions censored.

Maybe your own choices were what lead to you disliking the degree and not the 'scary stats'. your degree is what you make it, you're not just going to walk out of uni and be handed a job on a plate.

I don't expect to be handed a job on a plate. Your straw-man of my argument won't work here. Sorry.

And the end of the day, it's a poor degree. The market is over-saturated with Psychology graduates. It's a bad investment.
Reply 166
ok, I don't think i'll do a degree in Psychology then, instead i'll chose one that will benefit me financially and hope for the best. no thanks. Good luck with your future 'investments'.
Reply 167
Surely it's not entirely fair to broadcast your own opinions of the benefits of a Psychology degree. It's an incredibly competitive degree because it's so versatile, if you are interested in a subject enough to want to dedicate your career to it surely £9000 a year is a small price to pay. Some people on here are probably quite offended at your disregard for the subject, considering this is a thread for hopeful applicants. Maybe your own choices were what lead to you disliking the degree and not the 'scary stats'. your degree is what you make it, you're not just going to walk out of uni and be handed a job on a plate.

I disagree with some of Godspeed's more extreme views on psychology degrees but he is completely entitled to them.
ok, I don't think i'll do a degree in Psychology then, instead i'll chose one that will benefit me financially and hope for the best. no thanks. Good luck with your future 'investments'.

You can do what you want, tbh. But I am giving you my first-hand experience of the psychology graduate market-place and my observations of what happened to a large number of my cohort.

PROTIP: The single biggest employment sector for psychology graduates is retail and food services.

I'm just glad that my psych degree has got me on to another course that does have 100% graduate employment while still being something that I enjoy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
You can do what you want, tbh. But I am giving you my first-hand experience of the psychology graduate market-place and my observations of what happened to a large number of my cohort.

PROTIP: The single biggest employment sector for psychology graduates is retail and food services.

I'm just glad that my psych degree has got me on to another course that does have 100% graduate employment while still being something that I enjoy.

Where did you get the stats for this? I'm not refuting you, i just want to know... :P
Reply 170
I want to do psychology and law at uni then do a conversion course into law because I dont think psychology and law as a joint degree is considered to be a law degree?

My recent grades 2E's in Chemistry (soooooooo hard, i hated it) and Maths and 2C's in psychology and biology has ruled out me applying to law directly :frown:

So what do you think? I have loads of retakes in janaury but I have tuition and I am preparing really hard to get my A's
Original post by raman1
I want to do psychology and law at uni then do a conversion course into law because I dont think psychology and law as a joint degree is considered to be a law degree?

My recent grades 2E's in Chemistry (soooooooo hard, i hated it) and Maths and 2C's in psychology and biology has ruled out me applying to law directly :frown:

So what do you think? I have loads of retakes in janaury but I have tuition and I am preparing really hard to get my A's

You can do a law conversion from ANY degree
Original post by raman1

Psychology is still just as competitive as law, not hugely easier to get into. I would do resits and try and improve your study skills over the next two years... and apply for law directly.

If your doing resits in chemistry/biology then this website http://www.khanacademy.org/ explains things really well. It would take a teacher a week to explain something which you can learn spending 1 hour on this website. Also do a LOT of past papers...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 173
My school sent off my application on Friday, already got an email from York saying they've got my app., getting so excited now! :tongue:

...thought i'd just come and revive this thread haha
Reply 174
Yeah i sent mine off a couple weeks ago got e-mails from Cambridge and Birmingham saying they got my app. On the topic of Psychology is over saturated, i agree but only in the lower-mid level candidates if you stand out, you'll get a job. That's why I don't believe you should enter it unless you have the potential and drive to be the best in whatever you chose to be. Also be prepared to do post-graduate study don't think you can get a Bsc and get a job.
Reply 175
Just applied to Cambridge, UCL, RHUL, QMUL + Surrey :-)
Reply 176
Original post by iammichealjackson
Where did you get the stats for this? I'm not refuting you, i just want to know... :P

Flipside of the arguement is psychology involves analytical skills, both in coming to conclusions and using figures. Both immediately put you into the fray for a role in an office ahead of a heck of a lot of other degree's. Its also one of the more intense degree;s, up there with maths and physics based degree's for coursework - employers appricate that in seeing your ability to handle pressure.

Remember the person who's criticising, he could well have an axe to grind given that his course was quite poorly taught and had bad teaching methods unfortunately.
Reply 177
Original post by TheDubs
Flipside of the arguement is psychology involves analytical skills, both in coming to conclusions and using figures. Both immediately put you into the fray for a role in an office ahead of a heck of a lot of other degree's. Its also one of the more intense degree;s, up there with maths and physics based degree's for coursework - employers appricate that in seeing your ability to handle pressure.

Remember the person who's criticising, he could well have an axe to grind given that his course was quite poorly taught and had bad teaching methods unfortunately.

Where did you here this? I'm sure many other derees would claim they are equally intensive.
Original post by TheDubs

Eh? I was just asking where godspeed genehah got his stats from (graduate employment statistics). I wasn't talking about psychology degrees....
Reply 179
Original post by iammichealjackson
Eh? I was just asking where godspeed genehah got his stats from (graduate employment statistics). I wasn't talking about psychology degrees....

I know. He mentioned or implied psychology degree's aren't the best when trying to find work and mentioned a heck of a lot of graduates end up in frozen food wasnt it? I put down what I found from my own research and what ive been told about how psychology graduates get into better payed jobs more readily that a lot of other degree's because of the range of skills picked up on the course (Hence why I named analytical skills etc.)

I wrote the comment at 7am, probably a little messy, what did you expect?!

Quick Reply

Latest