The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Most school uniforms aren't hoodies.

But that's not the reason why people buy them per se. People buy them because they chose which uni they're at and they're proud of their uni. Whereas at school they only go because of its convenience.
I think it's better to know why you want to find out. Is it it because:

1) You're a judgemental bitch

2) You're a judgemental bitch

3) You're a judgemental bitch

4) You're a judgemental bitch

Take your pick
Reply 22
@ school uniform observation, more often than not you went to your school because it was the nearest one/local. Whereas generally you chose your own university because you loved it. Also, nobody thinks school is cool, but it's seen as cool be at university (apparently, judging by the general tone of TSR.)
Reply 23
Original post by Cicerao
5) Student who bought a society hoody and wants to actually get some use out of it instead of worrying people are going to assume I'm doing 1, 3 or 4. (Meee. :h:)

Well said.

Wear what ever the **** you want!
Reply 24
cos it's like well good innit, I go to UEL and I wear dis 'oodie with UEL on it, does niggaz are like ''woahhhh I won't mug you bruv, you is well 'ard''
Reasons I don't wear my university hoody unless I'm exercising:
I have a pixie haircut, and am reasonably slim, so I look a bit like a man if I wear a baggy hoody.
Original post by Muffinz
I like it, I just hate when people wear the hoodies and they aren't actually attending that uni.

Tops you get from New Look which have random American unis on them disgust me.

Or the amount of tourists who buy an Oxford uni one from the gift shops..I don't get it, why??

I don't really think anything about them. I like mine because it's green, and super warm and so helps to save pennies on the heating bill. And I wear it outside on days that are too warm for a coat but too cold to out without something. And honestly, sometimes I do wear it to show off, because let's face it, we've worked damned hard to get into uni, so why not show off :p:. But I don't really think anything tbh. Maybe just the same as what I use mine for :h:.
Original post by Chav Princess
1) Fresher who's really happy to be at their university, and wants the whole world to know (note: this excitement lasts 1 to 2 weeks maximum).

2) University snob who goes to a prestigious university and wants other students who might be around to know that they they go to a better university than them.

3) Student who goes to a **** (most likely ex-poly) university and wants members of the public who aren't students to know that they actually go to university and thus are 'educated'.

4) Student who has forgotten to do that week's washing and only has their university hoodie lying around, and it's cold outside.

Thoughts?

I think they're perfectly acceptable.

However, I don't understand people who wear 'University of Oxford'/'University of Cambridge' hoodies when they don't go to Oxford or Cambridge. I didn't realise these garments were 'fashionable' until I saw a girl I know at Leeds festival (who was a GCSE student at the time) wearing one. Madness.
:dontknow: Uni hoodies tend to be fairly inexpensive compared to branded ones and saves money on your heating bill. It's a good investment for a poor student =P Also, as a society committee member, it's good walking advertising for the club :mmm:
Reply 29
I really don't care about others wearing theirs in public. But although I've finished uni I still wear my hoodie around the house because a) it's a nice memento and b) it's bloody cosy.
Reply 30
Original post by ilickbatteries
I don't understand people who wear 'University of Oxford'/'University of Cambridge' hoodies when they don't go to Oxford or Cambridge.

I don't understand people who feel the need to wear "JACK" hoodies when their name isn't Jack*. That's a story for another day, though. :colone:

* And yes I know the real reason but it's still dumb.
Reply 31
From my experience, the better universities produce hoodies that are also of a superior quality to that of the norm. If that's not enough of a justification for casually wearing a University of Cambridge hoody while out shopping at Tesco's, or whilst visiting the local pub on a night out, then I don't know what is!
I wear my brother's hoodie cos he brought a small one especially for me :smile:
Reply 33
9) Student who forgets which uni they go to and have to ensure they go to the right place. :awesome:

Maybe some of them who wear in on campus do so to ensure that they all end up at the right uni and do not forget where they go. :rolleyes:

I saw a girl at Waitrose with a University of East Anglia one.

I myself was going to buy an Open University hoodie (as I am doing a short course with them) but I thought that as I am also mainly doing my A Levels at college and I am only doing a course with the OU of only 10 undergrad credits....... I would look like a bit of an idiot. :erm:
Original post by Chav Princess
1) Fresher who's really happy to be at their university, and wants the whole world to know (note: this excitement lasts 1 to 2 weeks maximum).

2) University snob who goes to a prestigious university and wants other students who might be around to know that they they go to a better university than them.

3) Student who goes to an ex-poly university and wants members of the public who aren't students to know that they actually go to university and thus are 'educated'.

4) Student who has forgotten to do that week's washing and only has their university hoodie lying around, and it's cold outside.

Thoughts?

I fall into number 4 but only wear my hoodie around my University city.

It's also cheap advertising :p:
Original post by alexs2602
But that's not the reason why people buy them per se. People buy them because they chose which uni they're at and they're proud of their uni. Whereas at school they only go because of its convenience.

This is true. I'll be proud if I get into uni whereas I was pushed into school.
Wears hoody of prestigious uni to make local working class people feel inferior option.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't really care if they want to wear it or not but if it's looking really dirty you should proly take it for a wash.

Personally I like clothes that doesn't label me to a specific institution or organisation. I'm ME take it or leave it.
Original post by The Cornerstone
I think it's better to know why you want to find out. Is it it because:

1) You're a judgemental bitch

2) You're a judgemental bitch

3) You're a judgemental bitch

4) You're a judgemental bitch

Take your pick

Hmm, I am torn between 2 and 4.
Reply 39
Original post by dunnicare
I clicked "here" for more. :mmm:

I was tempted as well! :mmm: