The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mc^3
At Emma, the mathmos have an introductory day on the 30th, so I'm arriving on the 29th. I'd imagine quite a few international students will be arriving early too, as well as some of the current students (I think most college parents would probably want to arrive early, so that they don't have to arrive at the same time as the freshers, it's probably pretty hectic). There'll be loads of people!

Sounds good to me! Our SU also seems to have some things going since about the Wednesday.
Original post by chux
Seriously, I appreciate it so so much and I'm sure other people will! It's perfect - it single-handedly answers all of my questions in just one document. Thank yooou!

:biggrin: Glad to help. If you've got any more questions, I'm the one replying to most of the stuff on the Freshers' Facebook group :smile:
Original post by TomU
It's very quiet in this thread...

Is everyone busy doing their preliminary reading or something?

Nope! I'm doing a sociology paper and I still no next to NOTHING about what it is. On the other hand, one supervisor already sent me the title of my first essay and all 12 book long reading list...
Reply 3103
Original post by Hypocrism
How many people on here are arriving early? I've just asked permission to arrive on the 30th instead of the 1st.

Are you supposed to ask permission if you're arriving early? I was just planning on rockin' up on the 30th, see if they'd let me stay an extra night? :biggrin:
Reply 3104
Original post by emma1701
Are you supposed to ask permission if you're arriving early? I was just planning on rockin' up on the 30th, see if they'd let me stay an extra night? :biggrin:

Yes, you are supposed to ask permission. My college permits people to move in early, but you would normally have to pay a guest rate and your access to some parts of the college are restricted as, technically, until you matriculate, you are not officially a student at the university.

I'm moving in on the 27th... Eeeeep! In one week I'll be in Cambridge!
Reply 3105
Original post by TomU
Yes, you are supposed to ask permission. My college permits people to move in early, but you would normally have to pay a guest rate and your access to some parts of the college are restricted as, technically, until you matriculate, you are not officially a student at the university.

I'm moving in on the 27th... Eeeeep! In one week I'll be in Cambridge!

It said on the email Queens' sent out about accomadation that residency starts on the 29th, so I just sort of assumed I'd be grand....:confused:
Who are you supposed to ask?

AHHHHHHHHH only ten days to go
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 3106
Original post by emma1701
It said on the email Queens' sent out about accomadation that residency starts on the 29th, so I just sort of assumed I'd be grand....:confused:
Who are you supposed to ask?

AHHHHHHHHH only ten days to go
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm not sure if what I said goes for other colleges as well, so you may well be fine to move in on the 29th without additional expense.

I would have thought that the prudent thing would be to give the college a phone call as soon as possible though to clarify if you can move in on the 29th as per the email or whether any arrangements need to be made. I doubt there will be any issue with moving in early, but it's probably best you check.
Reply 3107
By the way, is it really sad or does it bode well for the future that I'm sat here at nearly half-past midnight listening to a lecture on medical/criminal law from the law faculty website?

Probably a bit of both :colondollar:
Original post by TomU
By the way, is it really sad or does it bode well for the future that I'm sat here at nearly half-past midnight listening to a lecture on medical/criminal law from the law faculty website?

Probably a bit of both :colondollar:

Go! Enjoy yourself! I'm a second year/finalist and I'm reading sci fi novels rather than my pre-reading. Seriously, there's enough work when you get to Cambridge without breaking your balls before you get there.

Also, you can get a friendly matriculated student to let you in/wander through to the MCR and bar before you matriculate.
what is freshers week at Cambridge going to be any different to other universities, apart from not being a week long? I'm just facebook stalking everyone who's left from my year and they seem to be having a good time, i hope Cambridge will be fun :smile:
Original post by iammichealjackson
what is freshers week at Cambridge going to be any different to other universities, apart from not being a week long? I'm just facebook stalking everyone who's left from my year and they seem to be having a good time, i hope Cambridge will be fun :smile:

It's not. Different, I mean. It's definitely fun! :biggrin:
Original post by Tortious
It's not. Different, I mean. It's definitely fun! :biggrin:

Cool! Most of my friends are going to Northumbria/Newcastle unis, and have been pretty condesending about Cambridge freshers and nightlife, even though they know nothing about it :/
Original post by iammichealjackson
Cool! Most of my friends are going to Northumbria/Newcastle unis, and have been pretty condesending about Cambridge freshers and nightlife, even though they know nothing about it :/

Yeah, I've heard it's not great, but it's not really my thing anyway. I went to Fez once and it was a bit naff - there was barely anyone in there. :indiff: My friend's determined to take me to the legendary Cindies though! :cool:

Which college are you (going to be) at and what are you studying? :smile:
Original post by Tortious
Yeah, I've heard it's not great, but it's not really my thing anyway. I went to Fez once and it was a bit naff - there was barely anyone in there. :indiff: My friend's determined to take me to the legendary Cindies though! :cool:

Consider yourself lucky: only time I went there, some bloke tried to strangle me and the people I was with had to pull me out from his grip. I've decided not to go back now :tongue:

Edit: Oh dear, this is another unfortunate anecdote off me. I really do have a lot...
Reply 3114
Original post by gethsemane342
Consider yourself lucky: only time I went there, some bloke tried to strangle me and the people I was with had to pull me out from his grip. I've decided not to go back now :tongue:
:lolwut:

I probably won't be going there then..
Original post by SabreT
:lolwut:

I probably won't be going there then..

Ha ha, I don't think it happened to anyone else, don't worry :smile: I just have odd luck - a few people have told me that I'm one of the unluckiest people they've ever met. :cool:
Reply 3116
Ha ha, I don't think it happened to anyone else, don't worry :smile: I just have odd luck - a few people have told me that I'm one of the unluckiest people they've ever met. :cool:

I guess there's some truth in that! What on earth happened to lead to you being strangled? Did the guy get arrested or at least banned for life?
Original post by SabreT
I guess there's some truth in that! What on earth happened to lead to you being strangled? Did the guy get arrested or at least banned for life?

Nothing happened to him - he was just drunk and we'd been in a good mood before that. Basically, we were having a "girls night out. He took a liking to us and kept trying to join in with us. We moved away from him quite a few times but he usually came back. And then, for no apparent reason, he decided to strangle me from behind. My friends rescued me and told him to **** off. He left us alone after that :smile:
Nothing happened to him - he was just drunk and we'd been in a good mood before that. Basically, we were having a "girls night out. He took a liking to us and kept trying to join in with us. We moved away from him quite a few times but he usually came back. And then, for no apparent reason, he decided to strangle me from behind. My friends rescued me and told him to **** off. He left us alone after that :smile:

Wow, you really are unfortunate. :erm:
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Wow, you really are unfortunate. :erm:

People tell me this. I remain cheerful for two reasons: one, I'm now used to bad luck and two, I know someone who is far, far worse than I am :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest