The Student Room Group

Politics and IR Applicants 2011 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JHelenS
Can't decide between Durham (Josephine Butler) PoliticsBA AAA or LSE Government and HistoruBSc AAB.... they're both great unis but both totally different. Just wondering what would be the best for all round experience and for also for getting a job in politics after i graduate.. any advice would be helpful :smile:

If you want all-round, go for Durham. From what I have heard and saw on the Open Day, LSE is not very social and people tend to keep to their ethnic groups (maj. are international students). Both are great places to go to an ineterview with a degree in.
Reply 101
He, i want to apply for politics and international relations, i would like to know generally how many hours of lectures etc etc.. there are every week and approximately how many hours a week is required to study even comparing to other courses and if i'll have enough time to have a part time work....
i want to apply to exeter, kent, royal hallowey, kingston, and kings college....does any one know anything about the course in any of those uiniversities?
Original post by ikenna
He, i want to apply for politics and international relations, i would like to know generally how many hours of lectures etc etc.. there are every week and approximately how many hours a week is required to study even comparing to other courses and if i'll have enough time to have a part time work....
i want to apply to exeter, kent, royal hallowey, kingston, and kings college....does any one know anything about the course in any of those uiniversities?

Hey, I think you should maybe ask in the actual SocPolSci forum because many of us here are just gonna be starting uni in Sept/Oct.

I've been told that you might have a few lectures and seminars a fortnight, but unlike science courses, humanities and arts courses get very little contact time. However, this free time isn't for play - a lot of books to be read and essays to be done.

And you'll probably have enough time for part-time work. I would try to find a job but my accomodation meal times prevent me from doing so. Also, you get quite long holidays, so maybe think about getting a job for the summer, saving that money up so it won't affect your studies.
Reply 103
I'm thinking of applying to -
Royal Holloway (Pol/Phil) , Sussex (Pol/Phil) , Lancaster (Pol/Phil), York (Pol/Phil), Essex (Pol/Phil) and Aberystwyth (InterPol).

My grades at AS were AABBD and my A2 predictions should be AAB, how realistic are my choices? :smile:
Original post by Latem
Royal Holloway (Pol/Phil) , Sussex (Pol/Phil) , Lancaster (Pol/Phil), York (Pol/Phil), Essex (Pol/Phil) and Aberystwyth (InterPol).

My grades at AS were AABBD and my A2 predictions should be AAB, how realistic are my choices? :smile:

Looks realistic to me if you're confident about getting AAB :smile: I have AAB and am applying to York, Lancaster and Sussex for the same course (ooo, competition!). I think it's good to have chosen a BBB course for insurance (as long as you would actually be happy to do that course there - if not, there are some Phil/Pol courses that want BBB).
Reply 105
Original post by dancinginrainbows
Looks realistic to me if you're confident about getting AAB :smile: I have AAB and am applying to York, Lancaster and Sussex for the same course (ooo, competition!). I think it's good to have chosen a BBB course for insurance (as long as you would actually be happy to do that course there - if not, there are some Phil/Pol courses that want BBB).

If you write a strong personal statement, to support your grades, you will be fine. I got into York for social and political science and Lancaster for philosophy, politics and economics, if that helps. :smile:
Original post by Millz
If you write a strong personal statement, to support your grades, you will be fine. I got into York for social and political science and Lancaster for philosophy, politics and economics, if that helps. :smile:

Was this aimed at me or Latem?
Reply 107
Was this aimed at me or Latem?

Sorry, I do not think that I was paying a sufficient amount of attention. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by Latem

Reply 109
Original post by Millz

Okay, great :smile: what were you predicted for AS out of interest?

Haha, indeed! Yeah, I've been to Aberystwyth and it's so lovely. On the politics specific league tables it does very respectably aswell :smile: Good luck to you anyway :P
Reply 110
Original post by Latem
Okay, great :smile: what were you predicted for AS out of interest?

Haha, indeed! Yeah, I've been to Aberystwyth and it's so lovely. On the politics specific league tables it does very respectably aswell :smile: Good luck to you anyway :P

I predicted grades ? I am already in Lancaster 2011/12 entry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending