The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medbh4805
question guys: Are you including/did you include all your modules when putting your A levels into UCAS?

I didn't bother :colondollar:
Original post by dnumberwang
I didn't bother :colondollar:

Aye but maths is more complicated and I'm sure your school certificates AS grades anyway....:colonhash:
Original post by KingMessi
Ah right. Why are they trying to do that?!?

it's probably to do with resits etc. (though I am not resitting anything)

Though if they just certificated AS like most other schools in the UK this wouldn't be a problem :angry: But they're a grammar school and sure we're all going to Queen's Belfast anyway, so what does it matter to them :rolleyes:
I want to for the reasons above. My school is trying to make me leave them out though :s-smilie:

Ah right. Why are they trying to do that?!?

Both my school and a relative in the know advised me to do the same - basically Oxford don't look at your module scores or take them into account even if you give them, so there's little point, but you can get your referree to include any particularly good ones or put it in your personal statement, so all is not lost. I was advised to get it in the reference :smile: So your school has a point! If any university particularly wants them, they'll ask for them seperately. At least that's what I was told.
it's probably to do with resits etc. (though I am not resitting anything)

Though if they just certificated AS like most other schools in the UK this wouldn't be a problem :angry: But they're a grammar school and sure we're all going to Queen's Belfast anyway, so what does it matter to them :rolleyes:

Ah right...this seems odd to me. What do you mean by certified AS? My school didn't certify the AS until after my A2's.... Are you based in Ireland then? Why are you all expected to go to Queens? If it's going to be a big issue for you, get your parents to complain, that should always help.:smile:
The spreadsheet on the first page has gone really dodgy - I can only see 5 people on there. Is it like that for everyone or is it just me?
Yeah, that's what I thought would be the right thing to do, and a lot of universities seem to be saying they would take them into consideration etc. Bristol says they want to see AS grades, and as my school doesn't certificate AS grades, I think I have to include them. And yet my school is insisting I leave them out :confused:

At Wednesday's open day, Bristol said they don't look at AS results because they know that many schools don't cash them in. They are interested in GCSEs (only best 8, including the obvious ones), predicted A2 grades, PS and reference.
Original post by Incarnadine91
Both my school and a relative in the know advised me to do the same - basically Oxford don't look at your module scores or take them into account even if you give them, so there's little point, but you can get your referree to include any particularly good ones or put it in your personal statement, so all is not lost. I was advised to get it in the reference :smile: So your school has a point! If any university particularly wants them, they'll ask for them seperately. At least that's what I was told.

Okay, cool, fair enough. As of now I haven't entered any module grades, but I got 394/400 UMS in my English A-Level and 392/400 in the Psychology one, so I thought that they might be worth mentioning somewhere....
Original post by Supportive mum
At Wednesday's open day, Bristol said they don't look at AS results because they know that many schools don't cash them in. They are interested in GCSEs (only best 8, including the obvious ones), predicted A2 grades, PS and reference.

But A2 grades should supersede my GCSE's, right?

Bristol asks for AS grades in the UCAS form. Other universites such as Manchester say they welcome unit grades and take them into consideration when giving offers. My school doesn't certificate AS grades (:rant:) and they are being quite secretive and inflexible about the reference.

fml
(edited 12 years ago)

But in their entry profile they say this:

Assessors will want to consider the accuracy and consistency of the predicted grades in the light of previous GCSE and AS level achievement

Link:http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/Q8isDostPs_-i4AouG1K1U4NCudu--VU7W/HAHTpage/search.HsProfileDetails.run?n=1118958#1-2

:confused:
Ah right...this seems odd to me. What do you mean by certified AS? My school didn't certify the AS until after my A2's....

Most schools in England and Wales have to certificate AS grades as of this year, but my school isn't. :/ It's not so much about them not certificating AS grades, but that having done that they also won't let us put in module grades. At least one of them would have been fine.

Are you based in Ireland then? Why are you all expected to go to Queens?

Yes. Because people are parochial and narrow minded.
These are the sort of problems a lot of NI people applying to England face, especially in Catholic schools. There's another user on here, Planar, who can back me up on that one. :frown:

If it's going to be a big issue for you, get your parents to complain, that should always help.:smile:

Not really an option for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Bristol asks for AS grades in the UCAS form. Other universites such as Manchester say they welcome unit grades and take them into consideration when giving offers. My school doesn't certificate AS grades (:rant:) and they are being quite secretive and unflexible about the reference.

fml

If you're applying for other universities that ask for them, then by all means put them in - I was only answering from an Oxford point of view, where there isn't really a point. And if that's not an option, put it in your personal statement briefly, or complain about the way your school is handling things. As an Oxbridge applicant you have less time than most to sort these things out, so you're perfectly within your rights to demand some information/input about your reference. And I wouldn't worry about certificated grades, mine never did that either and all my results went down as 'pending' - the universities still know what you got. Good luck!
Most schools in England and Wales have to certificate AS grades as of this year, but my school isn't. :/ It's not so much about them not certificating AS grades, but that having done that they also won't let us put in module grades. At least one of them would have been fine.

Yes. Because people are parochial and narrow minded.
These are the sort of problems a lot of NI people applying to England face, especially in Catholic schools. There's another user on here, Planar, who can back me up on that one. :frown:

Not really an option for me.

To be honest, once they see your predicted grades (And I'm sure your reference and PS will be very good indeed) I doubt the lack of module scores will hold you back too much.

Also, I have a Northern Irish friend who went to a Catholic school and almost all his friends are going to Queen's (He was the first to apply to Oxford from his school in a decade). He's getting tired of all the uni statuses on Facebook as their freshers' started a while ago whereas Oxford had the bright idea to start in October :s-smilie:
Reply 6114
Original post by coodooloo
chris thomas!-

Who?

The 2012 prospectus entry for A100 says A2 grades AAA-A*AB. Chemistry must be at A though. Minimum 4 AS levels, excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking. Grade C in the 4th subject. No mention of AS grades otherwise and that's also what the admissions chap said in his talk. He also mentioned that (as a Birmingham graduate himself) he thinks the 8*+ CGSE requirement there is daft. I certainly got the impression that the PS and reference were the big things. Also he's very aware of the problems that people have getting work experience, so it's not a big thing either.
If you're applying for other universities that ask for them, then by all means put them in - I was only answering from an Oxford point of view, where there isn't really a point. And if that's not an option, put it in your personal statement briefly, or complain about the way your school is handling things. As an Oxbridge applicant you have less time than most to sort these things out, so you're perfectly within your rights to demand some information/input about your reference. And I wouldn't worry about certificated grades, mine never did that either and all my results went down as 'pending' - the universities still know what you got. Good luck!

Fair enough about the Oxford thing, I'm just conscious that I'm applying to four other universites too and I have maximise my chances :s-smilie:

I think I'm just going to email Bristol and see what they stay instead of continuing to be stressed, if they say include them then the school can't really argue with that and if not, everything is fine :borat:

And thank you :ahee:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993

Also, I have a Northern Irish friend who went to a Catholic school and almost all his friends are going to Queen's (He was the first to apply to Oxford from his school in a decade). He's getting tired of all the uni statuses on Facebook as their freshers' started a while ago whereas Oxford had the bright idea to start in October :s-smilie:

Tell him that next year, he can go to Queen's freshers events AND have his own a couple of weeks after - at least that's what a similar friend of mine is doing :wink: Starting late isn't necessarily a bad thing!

Fair enough about the Oxford thing, I'm just conscious that I'm applying to four other universites too and I have maximise my chances :s-smilie:

I think I'm just going to email Bristol and see what they stay instead of continuing to be stressed, if they say include them then the school can't really argue with that and if not, everything is fine :borat:

And thank you :ahee:

Sounds like a plan! Yeah, it's always good to concentrate on other options, apart from anything it's just common sense. No problem, feel free to come to me if you have any other questions :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
The 2012 prospectus entry for A100 says A2 grades AAA-A*AB. Chemistry must be at A though. Minimum 4 AS levels, excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking. Grade C in the 4th subject. No mention of AS grades otherwise and that's also what the admissions chap said in his talk. He also mentioned that (as a Birmingham graduate himself) he thinks the 8*+ CGSE requirement there is daft. I certainly got the impression that the PS and reference were the big things. Also he's very aware of the problems that people have getting work experience, so it's not a big thing either.

Err, I'm applying for Classics, not medicine :confused:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
To be honest, once they see your predicted grades (And I'm sure your reference and PS will be very good indeed) I doubt the lack of module scores will hold you back too much.

yeah, I know it won't be a problem for Oxford :redface: I'm just a bit worried about my other four choices....:moon:

Hopefully that will be me in a year :ahee:

Latest

Trending

Trending