The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Goodluck to everyone !! :smile: i went down to visit BSMS the other day (11 hour drive :frown: ) it was a stunning campus and the staff were all really nice, thats all i have to say just now :biggrin:
Reply 101
Original post by madd
They do ask for AAA but ive done a pre-med course and i got top marks for that so they accept that even if my A-levels arent that great. :wink:

oh ok good luck
Reply 102
Definitly want to apply here, and noot looking at GSCE's is a big plus for me :smile:

Username Swind
Course medicine A100
GCSE A* A* A* A* A A B B C C C D Credit
A2 levels biology - A, chemistry - A, Physics - A, Maths - A
Graduate? no
International student? no
Reapplicant? Nope but am taking a gap year this year :smile:
Has there been any changes in how they are going to use the UKCAT this year?

Also, how do they score work experience? Is it the more you do, the higher you score or something?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 104
Original post by madd
Username Madd
Course medicine A100
GCSE A* A* AA A A B B B
A2 levels biology - B, chemistry - B, Physics - A, Spanish - A
Graduate? no, have a certificate of higher education after doing a pre-med course
Reapplicant? this is the third time im applying!!!

just wondering what pre-med course did you do and what other med schools are you applying to?
Reply 105
hi guys,

i love brighton ! ive got 5a*s and 5a's at gcse, AAAb at as (b in eng lit, a's in 3 sciences) and continuing 3 sciences predicted A*AA my ukcat average is 695

really getting depressed about GCSEs, i really think i could be a great doctor, i just dont see why an a at pe and french gcse should stop me :frown: (well i do, the competition)

could someone please tell me how brighton scores gcses, and if i have a chance.
also where else looks at ukcat more than gcses?
im applying to:

newcastle
nottingham
lecister (probably)
just need one more.

thanks
Hey guys, I'm hoping to apply here!

Course: Medicine (A100)

GCSE: A*AAAAAABCD

AS Levels: Chemistry - A, Biology - B, Physics - B, Religious Studies (Philosophy and Ethics) - B

A2 Levels: Chemistry, Biology, RS

International Student? No

First time applicant.

Very exciting :biggrin:
Reply 107
Original post by Long Time Coming
Has there been any changes in how they are going to use the UKCAT this year?

Also, how do they score work experience? Is it the more you do, the higher you score or something?

Hey, I met the guy who deals with admissions the other day, and bsms like pretty much all medical schools are really more interested in what you learnt from your experience than the quantity :smile:
Original post by Kevlar R
Hey, I met the guy who deals with admissions the other day, and bsms like pretty much all medical schools are really more interested in what you learnt from your experience than the quantity :smile:

But isn't the scoring still a little bit subjective? I don't know, with things like this I always feel like there is a bit of risk to be taken.

But thank you for clarifying that!
Hi guys, I'm applying with achieved A levels.
AAAc (bio, chem, sociology and physics.)
My gcses were A*A*AABBBB
My personal statement and reference seems like its reasonably good. I have lots of work experience including GP practice, hospital, charity shop first aid, care home, youth centre.
Does anyone know how they score academics?
Thanks.
Reply 110
Username: SewageRat :P
Course Medicine(A100)
GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*
AS: AAA
A2: A*, and A*A*A*A* for remaining subjects
UKCAT 725 average
International Student :cry:
First time applicant :/

Hopefully my teachers will get their references sorted this week so I can apply. Looks like a pretty town, and I love coasts :O
Reply 111
Been to the open day and it's really nice there. The football ground is so close to the campus :biggrin:

A100
GCSE:6 A* 5A'S
AS: ABBC (Down to school errors should be AABB, unable to get sorted before application so fml but Brighton allow module resits thank god)
A2 prediction:AAA
UKCAT:Pending though practice tests have me looking at mid-high 600's
Work Experience: 2 weeks in St.Lucia, 1 week GP's Surgery, Couple of Days in a Stroke rehabilitation centre & a day a week for the last 6 months in a local Carehome

First time :O
Reply 112
How do BSMS differentiate between applicants? E.g. bham = 10 billion A*s; Sheffield = UKCAT > 900
please help
Reply 113

how many interview do BSMS give and for how many offers?
Reply 114
Original post by Seb
How do BSMS differentiate between applicants? E.g. bham = 10 billion A*s; Sheffield = UKCAT > 900
please help

I emailed the admissions office. You get a score out of 15 for academics, then a score out of 15 for experience & other non-academic activities. Top x of applicants are invited for interview. :P
Reply 115
Haven't sat my UKCAT yet this year, but last year scored an average of 682.5
I'm applying to different medical schools this year and I'm strongly consdering BSMS.
GCSE: 10A*, 2A
AS: Biology- A, Chemistry-A, Law-A, Maths-A
A2: Biology-A*, Chemistry-A, Law-A*, Maths-B

2 wks work exp in hospital, 1 week in GPs, 6 months volunteering with adults with learning disabilities, just got a job working as a domiciliary carer.

The admissions procedure on the website isnt too clear, will i still stand a chance of getting an interview even if i dont really have much extracurriculars but have the above grades and experience?
Reply 116
Original post by Swind
Definitly want to apply here, and noot looking at GSCE's is a big plus for me :smile:

Username Swind
Course medicine A100
GCSE A* A* A* A* A A B B C C C D Credit
A2 levels biology - A, chemistry - A, Physics - A, Maths - A
Graduate? no
Reapplicant? Nope but am taking a gap year this year :smile:

Original post by Frozrox
hi guys,

i love brighton ! ive got 5a*s and 5a's at gcse, AAAb at as (b in eng lit, a's in 3 sciences) and continuing 3 sciences predicted A*AA my ukcat average is 695

really getting depressed about GCSEs, i really think i could be a great doctor, i just dont see why an a at pe and french gcse should stop me :frown: (well i do, the competition)

could someone please tell me how brighton scores gcses, and if i have a chance.
also where else looks at ukcat more than gcses?
im applying to:

newcastle
nottingham
lecister (probably)
just need one more.

thanks

Original post by brighteyes1994
Hey guys, I'm hoping to apply here!

Course: Medicine (A100)

GCSE: A*AAAAAABCD

AS Levels: Chemistry - A, Biology - B, Physics - B, Religious Studies (Philosophy and Ethics) - B

A2 Levels: Chemistry, Biology, RS

International Student? No

First time applicant.

Very exciting :biggrin:

Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Hi guys, I'm applying with achieved A levels.
AAAc (bio, chem, sociology and physics.)
My gcses were A*A*AABBBB
My personal statement and reference seems like its reasonably good. I have lots of work experience including GP practice, hospital, charity shop first aid, care home, youth centre.
Does anyone know how they score academics?
Thanks.

Original post by SewageRat
Username: SewageRat :P
Course Medicine(A100)
GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*
AS: AAA
A2: A*, and A*A*A*A* for remaining subjects
UKCAT 725 average
International Student :cry:
First time applicant :/

Hopefully my teachers will get their references sorted this week so I can apply. Looks like a pretty town, and I love coasts :O

Original post by Solarity
Been to the open day and it's really nice there. The football ground is so close to the campus :biggrin:

A100
GCSE:6 A* 5A'S
AS: ABBC (Down to school errors should be AABB, unable to get sorted before application so fml but Brighton allow module resits thank god)
A2 prediction:AAA
UKCAT:Pending though practice tests have me looking at mid-high 600's
Work Experience: 2 weeks in St.Lucia, 1 week GP's Surgery, Couple of Days in a Stroke rehabilitation centre & a day a week for the last 6 months in a local Carehome

First time :O

Original post by H-22
Haven't sat my UKCAT yet this year, but last year scored an average of 682.5
I'm applying to different medical schools this year and I'm strongly consdering BSMS.
GCSE: 10A*, 2A
AS: Biology- A, Chemistry-A, Law-A, Maths-A
A2: Biology-A*, Chemistry-A, Law-A*, Maths-B

2 wks work exp in hospital, 1 week in GPs, 6 months volunteering with adults with learning disabilities, just got a job working as a domiciliary carer.

The admissions procedure on the website isnt too clear, will i still stand a chance of getting an interview even if i dont really have much extracurriculars but have the above grades and experience?

Good luck to you all guys with your application.
Reply 117
Original post by KR1993
I emailed the admissions office. You get a score out of 15 for academics, then a score out of 15 for experience & other non-academic activities. Top x of applicants are invited for interview. :P

Yeah, I phoned today and tried to ask as much as I could. And last year people who scored >25.5 overall got an interview. I would score 13.5 (He might have said 13.9 but I didn't write it down straight away :frown: ) and I already have my A levels A*A*A*C. I don't know if they care about A*'s because some places like Cardiff don't care as long as you get AAA.

For the other 15 points, they mark you on your PS and references. The guy said about 8 different things they want to see in a PS and I was scribbling down as fast as I could, but all I got was what you do outside of work (EC), your volunteering, your motive for medicine (though that could be different, all I wrote down was 'medicine'... I should practice my mermory), Your attributes that you have. I'm going to phone again for more detail and ask about gap years etc.

They only will use UKCAT when two people are tied after interview.

Phew. Okay, I hope that helped.
Reply 118
Okay i really need some advice and fast :eek:

I have AAAA at a-level and 6A* 4A at GCSE with 667.5 avg UKCAT.

I've got to submit my application tonight and I am stuck on my last choice. It's either Glasgow, Brighton and Sussex or Hull/York?

Advice will be really welcomed :redface:
Reply 119
Original post by Seb
Yeah, I phoned today and tried to ask as much as I could. And last year people who scored >25.5 overall got an interview. I would score 13.5 (He might have said 13.9 but I didn't write it down straight away :frown: ) and I already have my A levels A*A*A*C. I don't know if they care about A*'s because some places like Cardiff don't care as long as you get AAA.

For the other 15 points, they mark you on your PS and references. The guy said about 8 different things they want to see in a PS and I was scribbling down as fast as I could, but all I got was what you do outside of work (EC), your volunteering, your motive for medicine (though that could be different, all I wrote down was 'medicine'... I should practice my mermory), Your attributes that you have. I'm going to phone again for more detail and ask about gap years etc.

They only will use UKCAT when two people are tied after interview.

Phew. Okay, I hope that helped.

That's great! :smile: if you have 13.5/13.9 academic points is that going on your gcse's, amazing alevels or combination of both?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending