The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3900
Original post by Seb
Yes, bham lol

So are you also reapplicant then? :frown:

I have a job too, at a school for disabled children. I'm only a supply though and noone is ill at the moment, GODDAMMIT!

I want to save up loaaads of money, because I just want to travel everywhere! I've already got plans to go to an orphanage in south africa for ~3 weeks, but I'm sort of cheating because my aunt 'n' uncle own it, so it's to see my cousins and family combined with volunteering (and hopefully a lot of football :colone:)

I also want to do CampAmerica in the summer, and travel around either Australia or Europe. So im not really doing much that will help my application, but I'd rather enjoy my gap year and make the most of it. (I probably wont be saying that when, no if, let's say IF, I get another 4 rejections)

My UKCAT was meh, people tell me it's good, but I have gone down from last year :frown: 675... Good luck with yours :smile:

What you got planned? (If I'm right in thinking you're a gap yearer too)

Unfortunately I am a re-applicant too. And when I say "i am a re-applicant" I feel that I am sub-consiously saying "Oh yes! I am a failure, didn't manage to get into any med school of my choice last year."..lol

You have great gap year plans! I will not be travelling abroad not because I do not want to but I have been moving around the globe until now because of my father's job (not literally around the globe but I have lived in 6-7 different countries) and also I need to save some money for future and be nice independent girl...lol! ^_^ I will be working as a care worker for next 12 months, thats all. And yes, a regular gym and swimming to help cope with having no friends around..haha

675...Well done on that score! But when you say its a poor score I totally understand what you mean. BTW how did you manage to get that score? Some tips would be appreciated. I have literally mugged up 600q book but i am still dreading the upcoming real test. :frown:

What are your uni choices? I am planning to apply to keele and bristol. :smile:
Original post by Shaz51
did you do the EPQ too? I know total waste of time and i truly hope this E will not ruin my application. :colondollar:

yup :'(. I dont think it'll ruin it but it might have a teeny tiny effect if the admissions tutors are looking for a reason to reject you.. but they arent, they're looking for reasons to give you an offer (y) :biggrin:
THE STALKING THREAD IS ALREADY LIVE?!

Damn, this **** is gettin' serious.

Original post by twelve
Wow, thats very efficient!

Quite pleased at the moment - planning a trip to the Newcastle open day next saturday. Is pretty lucky that I decided I wanted it to look at it, and just happens there's an open day :biggrin: So probably going to book a hotel/hostel/b&b for friday night and have a fun few hours on the train there and back :|

Going on my own though... oh the independence!

Well if you need any help on which cheap hotels are closest to the uni or what buses to get or if you get lost or something then feel free to ask or message me :smile:
Which day is the open day? I shall look forward to walking round town with loads of chinese and other randoms staring in a confused manner/taking pictures everywhere

Also when you're booking your train its Newcastle central (metro).
There's like three different options but that one's central ncl. :h:

Original post by oldbatty
Oh and the Metro is fabulous for getting about!

What choo talkin' bout?! The buses are canny fabulous too!

Living next to the Coast Rd has some major advantages :wink:
Do you live here too?
Original post by RO'Gara
I kind of stalked track last year hence the need to memorise my UCAS no. :colondollar:

If they're giving some people new no.s then they must go on email addresses or something when they think a personal statement looks similar ... well at least I hope they do since mine is just last years polished up a bit :s-smilie:

They should really give us reapplicants some sort of bonus points or free interview for perseverance. :biggrin:

I see, I'm more of a hotmail refresher myself :cool:

Lmao i'm gna stick my ucas track number on my bedroom wall now then so i can remember it. My wall is particularly empty now it's got no a level revision on it :K:

They should give us immediate interviews and cookies for wanting this so much.
Infact i should be alllowed to write, "going through the pain of getting four medicine rejjections and reapplying again eventhough all my friends are at uni and i'm by myself and have to find/do a bloody full time job just for the hope of potentially getting one offer this year shows i'm more committed, motivated and awesome than any of these year 12's applying. So interview me." on my personal statement
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3904
Original post by laurenl93

Well if you need any help on which cheap hotels are closest to the uni or what buses to get or if you get lost or something then feel free to ask or message me :smile:
Which day is the open day? I shall look forward to walking round town with loads of chinese and other randoms staring in a confused manner/taking pictures everywhere

Do you live here too?

No I live on south coast but would live in your city if I could as i love the place! Yeh the buses are great too but I've only caught them from the Metro centre!
Reply 3905
I see, I'm more of a hotmail refresher myself :cool:

Lmao i'm gna stick my ucas tack number on my bedroom wall now then so i can remember it. My wall is particularly empty now it's got no a level revision on it :K:

They should give us immediate interviews and cookies for wanting this so much.
Infact i should be alllowed to write, "going through the pain of getting four medicine rejjections and reapplying again eventhough all my friends are at uni and i'm by myself and have to find/do a bloody full time job just for the hope of potentially getting one offer this year shows i'm more committed, motivated and awesome than any of these year 12's applying. So interview me."

Which part of the fabulous city are you from ?
Reply 3906
Glad to hear you're going -and on your own.Bring the boyfriend back a few photos eg bridges over the Tyne,fantastic architecture on south side of river etc

Oh and the Metro is fabulous for getting about!

Haha, thanks :biggrin: Do you live in newcastle?

Do you live here too?

Ahh thanks :smile: I'm going to look for hotels tomorrow probably :smile: The open day is on saturday - although I'm sure it'll be obvious cuse of all the lost looking people walking around :P
Reply 3907
Original post by Shaz51
Unfortunately I am a re-applicant too. And when I say "i am a re-applicant" I feel that I am sub-consiously saying "Oh yes! I am a failure, didn't manage to get into any med school of my choice last year."..lol

You have great gap year plans! I will not be travelling abroad not because I do not want to but I have been moving around the globe until now because of my father's job (not literally around the globe but I have lived in 6-7 different countries) and also I need to save some money for future and be nice independent girl...lol! ^_^ I will be working as a care worker for next 12 months, thats all. And yes, a regular gym and swimming to help cope with having no friends around..haha

675...Well done on that score! But when you say its a poor score I totally understand what you mean. BTW how did you manage to get that score? Some tips would be appreciated. I have literally mugged up 600q book but i am still dreading the upcoming real test. :frown:

What are your uni choices? I am planning to apply to keele and bristol. :smile:

That's how I feel exactly. Everytime someone asks I end up telling them my life story, just to sounds lees of a failure :colone:

I forgot about non-work and non-travel stuff (Extra curricular stuff?). I'm doing a refs course, a coaching course and hopefully find a footeh team that will let me join. (just realised it sounds like I'm doing... nevermind...) well that's it. All football related? gosh, thats a broad spectrum. Anyway...

Honestly, I worked so hard for the measily, slightly above average score... I raped the 600Q book, most of [last years] 'how to pass (because you can't fail anyway) the UKCAT and BMAT'. I did the UKCAT official test download thing. Looking back, it seems like I didn't do that much... I just refused to pay for anything like UPO lol Maybe I'm just naturally, err, yeah that's not it. It's how you do on the day aswell. I know thats probably not what you want to hear - more pressure - but if, say, the Pearson guy comes to have a chat about problems with the UKCAT WHILE I'M DOING THE ****ING MATHS SECTION, you may lose time... I'm sorry, I'm just bitter...

What was your score last year btw?

Bristol and keele... I can't get into either of them :frown: 1 mark off a b in 4th AS... oh and a B in Eng lang. You'll probably have a good idea after your UKCAT :biggrin:

I think I'll apply for Cardiff, Manch, Newc ?????????? ARGHHH I WANT TO GO THERE BUT MY UKCAT IS ****, and perhaps peninsula... idk. I'll do some phoning around this week and hopefully get some answers...
Which part of the fabulous city are you from ?

Heaton oioi. :h:
are you applying here?
Original post by twelve
Ahh thanks :smile: I'm going to look for hotels tomorrow probably :smile: The open day is on saturday - although I'm sure it'll be obvious cus of all the lost looking people walking around :P

omg saturday is the 1st of october... 2 weeks till the deadline :eek:

i'm actually really excited for sending off my application and commencing the wait and obsession with hotmail :woo:
Reply 3909
are you applying here?

i'm actually really excited for sending off my application and commencing the wait and obsession with hotmail :woo:

I knoww, I'm pretty scared about leaving it soo late to decide - but from all the stuff I've looked at, I think I'll almost definitely go for Newcastle (or if I really hate it, which seems unlikely, I still like the idea of Peninsula) so I've put Newcastle in the form, and will just hit send on Sunday haha.
I'm sorry i don't know wha t EPQ is :tongue:
Bitch :frown:
But hey, i improved by a whole 10 from last year :wink: to 630... :K:
So where you applying?! I assume not aberdeen or lancaster anymore :frown:

I don't know! I still can't decide and I need to send my form off to college tomorrow D: I'm tempted still to apply for Lancaster and maybe aberdeen ... but then again glasgow... ahhhh I don't know what to do! :O Help me!

Eh but surely they would know you're a reapplicant when you're using the same ucas id no as last year?

I wondered that, but after I put in my old number I got a new number so then I wasn't sure - cause I think putting in the old number means it just saves you putting in a few details really. I did it anyways just to keep careers happy haha
Reply 3911
Original post by Quackers93
I don't know! I still can't decide and I need to send my form off to college tomorrow D: I'm tempted still to apply for Lancaster and maybe aberdeen ... but then again glasgow... ahhhh I don't know what to do! :O Help me!

Where were you originally going to apply?

If I were you, I'd go for places who rank you by UKCAT. So Glasgow, Newcastle, Peninsula... You could even go for SHeffield maybe? I know you're below their cutoff from last year, but if they are right about the cutoff going down, you could be in with a good chance :smile:
Original post by RO'Gara
They should really give us reapplicants some sort of bonus points or free interview for perseverance. :biggrin:

That's an amazing idea! If only :rolleyes:

Original post by Shaz51
that is incredible, i am encouraged as well as inspired now! and i haven't congratulated you upon such fantastic score have I? so yeah WELLDONE!:smile:

and by 15 hrs total: do you mean 15 hrs total of preparation or 15 hrs a day? :eek:

Thank you :h:

15 hours total!!! lol God I think I would have died doing 15 hours day! I'm barely awake for that long some days haha (Sorry if I panicked you :tongue: )
Original post by twelve
Where were you originally going to apply?

If I were you, I'd go for places who rank you by UKCAT. So Glasgow, Newcastle, Peninsula... You could even go for SHeffield maybe? I know you're below their cutoff from last year, but if they are right about the cutoff going down, you could be in with a good chance :smile:

I was going for St. Andrews, Cardiff, Lancaster and either Aberdeen or Glasgow but now I'm not sure. I know that I didn't like Newcastle (no offence to Lauren lol :P ) an it's a bit close to home and I've never really looked at Peninsula, might give it a look over :smile:

Where is it that you're applying too? :smile:
Reply 3914
Original post by Quackers93
I was going for St. Andrews, Cardiff, Lancaster and either Aberdeen or Glasgow but now I'm not sure. I know that I didn't like Newcastle (no offence to Lauren lol :P ) an it's a bit close to home and I've never really looked at Peninsula, might give it a look over :smile:

Where is it that you're applying too? :smile:

Sheffield, Leicester, Glasgow, and probably Newcastle now - as long as I like it when I visit on Saturday :smile:
Original post by twelve
Sheffield, Leicester, Glasgow, and probably Newcastle now - as long as I like it when I visit on Saturday :smile:

Oh, we don't have any in common !! :frown:
I watched your video though :biggrin: You have the best accent ever! Thanks for the tips :P
Reply 3916
are you applying here?

i dont think my ukcat is good enough -there cutoff last year was 675 wasnt it?
Reply 3917
Original post by areyousure?
Oh, we don't have any in common !! :frown:
I watched your video though :biggrin: You have the best accent ever! Thanks for the tips :P

Haha, I didn't think I even had an accent :P
Original post by twelve
Haha, I didn't think I even had an accent :P

well maybe you don't! don't trust me with these accents things... when I went to Birmingham to check out my accommodation (lol what a waste of time!) everyone told me how horrible the Bham accent is but I thought it was really nice :s
Reply 3919
Original post by areyousure?
well maybe you don't! don't trust me with these accents things... when I went to Birmingham to check out my accommodation (lol what a waste of time!) everyone told me how horrible the Bham accent is but I thought it was really nice :s

I can't stand the Birmingham accent haha. I don't think I've got it too strong - but I think anybody from round here, ould say my accent is quite posh, whereas anyone from anywhere else would say its Brummy/Black Country...

If only I was proud of my accent, and then this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlGaepbQ8zo&feature=related would become really relevant
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending