The Student Room Group

Spanish, Portuguese and International Relations degree

Hello, just wanting to know if it is possible to the three combined, and where would be a good place to study, (in the uk or abroad) and also if doing all three would be too much, and if so which two would be the most useful. And also, would like to know more alot more about an international relations degree as i cannot find it anywhere on the internet. Thanks
Original post by Eddyk29
Hello, just wanting to know if it is possible to the three combined, and where would be a good place to study, (in the uk or abroad) and also if doing all three would be too much, and if so which two would be the most useful. And also, would like to know more alot more about an international relations degree as i cannot find it anywhere on the internet. Thanks

I don't know of anywhere that offers this combination (there definitely wasn't anywhere when I was looking for courses, although that was a few years ago). But many Spanish courses allow you to take a few modules of Portuguese as part of the Spanish course (so your degree would be BA Spanish and International Relations but you would have actually studied some Portuguese as well).

Spanish and Portuguese are very similar, which presents its own problems in learning, but means it is quite easy to learn both simultaneously. Studying any language will give you all the generic benefits of studying an Arts degree (research, essay writing, forming a coherent argument etc) alongside a quantifiable skill which can be applied in real life contexts. Spanish is arguably more useful than Portuguese but you shouldn't underestimate the latter (and while there are fewer jobs for Portuguese speakers there are also fewer applicants for those jobs).

Personally, I'd study BA Spanish and Portuguese, taking as many politics modules as possible within that combination.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice, if i did this degree would i be given the option to spend a year abroad in a lusophone country, or only hispanic, or possibly both. And what qualifications do you need. I have an A level if french, but not in Spanish in Portuguese, but i would say my spanish and portuguese are as good as my french. Would this help ?

Thanks
Original post by Eddyk29
Thanks for the advice, if i did this degree would i be given the option to spend a year abroad in a lusophone country, or only hispanic, or possibly both. And what qualifications do you need. I have an A level if french, but not in Spanish in Portuguese, but i would say my spanish and portuguese are as good as my french. Would this help ?

Thanks

It depends on the university, but as a general rule:

BA Spanish and Portuguese (i.e 50% Spanish, 50% Portuguese): year abroad split equally between a Hispanic country and a Lusophone country.

BA Spanish and International Relations: usually the whole year in a Spanish speaking country, however some places will allow you to split the year if you've taken Portuguese modules in year 2 and intend to carry on in your final year.

BA Spanish and Portuguese will probably require A level Spanish. BA Spanish and IR won't. But if you can prove your level is at A level standard then exceptions could be made even if you didn't have the formal qualification- best contact the universities you are interested in to find out what their scope for flexibility is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending