The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
Yeah I'm still thinking about it all to be honest!

And I think you are much more likely to get an offer for a top 5 after getting achieved A2 grades, especially if they're something like A*A*A

Where are you applying to, Tateco?
How good is Queen Mary university of london for Economics?

I am being predicted ABB, i will most likely get AAB. However, I am aiming for AAA.
i wont apply to any AAA universities. SO, which ones are within my reach?
Thanks
Does this look like a good mix?

Oxford
Nottingham
Warwick
UCL/LSE
Loughborough
Original post by Tateco
Me either.

That's why my choices are now 3 of the top 5 and then another 2 from the top 10, and then that way I am more likely to at least get one offer so can make the decision between a gap year/uni.

So where are you thinking of applying? I am in a similar dilemma too!! Don't you think that just by having an offer from the top 10 you will be more inclined to take the offer (as you know you can) if you get rejected by the top 3?
Original post by jamiepango
Of course, many people with "Oxbridge level" grades do not necessarily apply to Oxbridge :tongue:

I know. I doubt they'd take it into account anyway for two reasons:
They can't be sure.
They want the best students.

...the list would seem fuller with three in it...
Original post by perrytheplatypus
I know. I doubt they'd take it into account anyway for two reasons:
They can't be sure.
They want the best students.

...the list would seem fuller with three in it...

Precisely... Why would they discriminate against those students on the grounds that they might have applied to Oxbridge.

Although my tutor does advise that we don't send our UCAS before October 15th if we aren't applying to Oxbridge, just in case :wink:
Precisely... Why would they discriminate against those students on the grounds that they might have applied to Oxbridge.

Although my tutor does advise that we don't send our UCAS before October 15th if we aren't applying to Oxbridge, just in case :wink:

Oxbridge will probably be the first choice so the admissions tutor might see it as a waste of an offer
Original post by Psychotic546
Oxbridge will probably be the first choice so the admissions tutor might see it as a waste of an offer

Hmm sadly, I think this happens quite often, especially at universities just below Oxbridge. :redface:

Although this doesn't really affect me as I'm not planning on applying... :tongue:
Original post by soldiersixteen
How good is Queen Mary university of london for Economics?

I am being predicted ABB, i will most likely get AAB. However, I am aiming for AAA.
i wont apply to any AAA universities. SO, which ones are within my reach?
Thanks

Depends on what u mean by 'good'. It is 35th with graduate prospects rated 50/100

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics
Hey guys. Well recently I've started to reconsider applying to Economics, but I'm not really sure what kind of jobs and what kind salaries I can expect with an Economics degree from somewhere like Nottingham or any other top5-10 unis.

I'll be predicted A*A*AA but since I'm a resit applicant in a gap year I think I have little chance at a top 5 uni for Econ, and my GCSEs only worsen my chances (A*A*A*A*AAAAB)...

Right, so I'm not gonna beat around the bush, I'm after a lucrative but still enjoyable job (well surely this is everyone's goal, particularly those applying to economics?). I love the subject of economics and always liked doing maths, so the course seems to suit me well but there are alternatives (i.e. A&F) that I will enjoy too.

The way people talk on this forum, people act like investment banking is the only lucrative role to apply to for economics graduates, but coming from a top 5-10 uni I know that'll be a long shot. So what other jobs can I go to? What kind of pay can I expect? Would be useful to hear about graduate destinations or plans of people from these unis...

Also finally, do you think it'll be better for my career if I go to LSE/Warwick for A&F or somewhere like Notts for Economics? Thing I'm worried about is that if I fail to get into LSE or Warwick, an A&F degree wouldn't leave much options open for me from another uni...And before anyone says stuff like A&F isn't respected, ive heard about quite a lot of Warwick A&F students getting internships and permanent FO positions at BB banks.
Reply 3330
Hmm sadly, I think this happens quite often, especially at universities just below Oxbridge. :redface:

Although this doesn't really affect me as I'm not planning on applying... :tongue:

I'm applying this year so I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I don't think universities would reject people simply because they THINK they've applied to Oxbridge. Take LSE as an example, they give an average of 2.5 offers for each place, which means they expect 60% of the offer holders to turn down the offer or fail to make the grades. Besides, not everyone consider Oxbridge as their utopian choice. I don't think universities would turn down the opportunity to recruit elite students simply because they MIGHT have applied to Oxbridge. :smile:
Reply 3331
Original post by Confused101
Hey guys. Well recently I've started to reconsider applying to Economics, but I'm not really sure what kind of jobs and what kind salaries I can expect with an Economics degree from somewhere like Nottingham or any other top5-10 unis.

I'll be predicted A*A*AA but since I'm a resit applicant in a gap year I think I have little chance at a top 5 uni for Econ, and my GCSEs only worsen my chances (A*A*A*A*AAAAB)...

Right, so I'm not gonna beat around the bush, I'm after a lucrative but still enjoyable job (well surely this is everyone's goal, particularly those applying to economics?). I love the subject of economics and always liked doing maths, so the course seems to suit me well but there are alternatives (i.e. A&F) that I will enjoy too.

The way people talk on this forum, people act like investment banking is the only lucrative role to apply to for economics graduates, but coming from a top 5-10 uni I know that'll be a long shot. So what other jobs can I go to? What kind of pay can I expect? Would be useful to hear about graduate destinations or plans of people from these unis...

Also finally, do you think it'll be better for my career if I go to LSE/Warwick for A&F or somewhere like Notts for Economics? Thing I'm worried about is that if I fail to get into LSE or Warwick, an A&F degree wouldn't leave much options open for me from another uni...And before anyone says stuff like A&F isn't respected, ive heard about quite a lot of Warwick A&F students getting internships and permanent FO positions at BB banks.

This is a question for the investment banking section.
Original post by Mousebudden
Does this look like a good mix?

Oxford
Nottingham
Warwick
UCL/LSE
Loughborough

Seems reasonable, I had very similar choices: Oxford, Nottingham, Warwick, LSE, Durham...and it worked out fine.
Original post by ahklee77
I'm applying this year so I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I don't think universities would reject people simply because they THINK they've applied to Oxbridge. Take LSE as an example, they give an average of 2.5 offers for each place, which means they expect 60% of the offer holders to turn down the offer or fail to make the grades. Besides, not everyone consider Oxbridge as their utopian choice. I don't think universities would turn down the opportunity to recruit elite students simply because they MIGHT have applied to Oxbridge. :smile:

Hopefully you're right :biggrin:
Original post by dogmatichurricane
Seems reasonable, I had very similar choices: Oxford, Nottingham, Warwick, LSE, Durham...and it worked out fine.

Where did you end up?
Original post by Mousebudden
Where did you end up?

E&M at Oxford.
Hi guys,

Had a really busy summer and a fair amount to do back at school so haven't really had time for posting. But I'm back now :biggrin:

Grades (damn Physics, 1 UMS off an A! :angry:) and universities/courses in my signature.

-Illmatic-
x
Tateco
x

Thanks to you two for your concern over my disappearance! :wink:
Original post by thegenius31416
Hi guys,

Had a really busy summer and a fair amount to do back at school so haven't really had time for posting. But I'm back now :biggrin:

Grades (damn Physics, 1 UMS off an A! :angry:) and universities/courses in my signature.

Thanks to you two for your concern over my disappearance! :wink:

Good to have you back :smile:

Hows UCAS stuff?!
Original post by -Illmatic-
Good to have you back :smile:

Hows UCAS stuff?!

Personal Statement is so hard to do, it's definitely what I would call a 'work in progress' :wink: No problem though, got ages until the deadline.

How's yours going?
Original post by thegenius31416
Personal Statement is so hard to do, it's definitely what I would call a 'work in progress' :wink: No problem though, got ages until the deadline.

How's yours going?

I'm almost good to go I'd say, but because im not going for Ox/Camb i still have quite a lot of time- i'm eager to just put it to one side and come back to it in another month if need be (the whole UCAS app thing)

Latest

Trending

Trending