The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Contrad!ction.
suvat/laws/energy etc just bores me. And I love maths :tongue:
I loved maths and further maths at A-Level too.....You applying for straight maths at Uni or a joint honours?
Reply 21
Everything but electricity is fine, interesting and simple to learn with some work. Electricity is a devil topic that is confusing no matter what you do to understand!

Man i hate it.
Original post by doggyfizzel
I loved maths and further maths at A-Level too.....You applying for straight maths at Uni or a joint honours?

Straight maths. I have looked at Maths with Physics... but I don't know, I think I'd suit the maths course better :s

I'm going to change it and say that I'm indifferent towards mechanics. I don't hate it, but it doesn't interest me. I'd rather study that than Much Ado About Nothing, for example.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ha I think anything to do with electricity is hated by almost every physics student :biggrin:

Sub-atomic stuff, you know electrons, neutrons, anything down to atom-level are also quite drab as well, but tbh I think this is all due to a lack of understanding, hopefully I'll know it better by university so I can properly enjoy it along with most of the other physics topics that I already like. OP's definitely true about being able to visualize/imagine concepts in your head, things like mechanics is easy, which is why I think its one of the most enjoyable aspect of physics and maths as well.
Waves/superposition and related topics. Electricity is the most interesting, followed by quantum. Hate thermal physics too as its rather boriog..
Original post by cole45
im scared to ask this, and tbh i think i already know the answer - if you do university physics, is there a lot more electricity and does it get a lot harder? i know there'll be more on electric fields etc., but actual circuity sort of things?

I checked a few physics courses, 'electromagnetism' comes up quite often :s-smilie:
WHAT! is this thread about. I'M SOOO ANGRY

EVERYBODY LOVES ALLL PHYSICS!
Reply 27
I actually love electricity I hated waves though I'm in me second year and were doing momentum, and electrical and magnetic fields.

Gonna resit unit 1 though coz i got a B overall ..
Original post by doggyfizzel

People who like Quantum and Particle physics either are hardcore physicists or haven't studied it enough, all enthusiasm rapidly disappears once the maths arrives.

Can you elaborate on that? I think I fall into the second category of the people you mentioned :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by cole45
im scared to ask this, and tbh i think i already know the answer - if you do university physics, is there a lot more electricity and does it get a lot harder? i know there'll be more on electric fields etc., but actual circuity sort of things?

It gets worse :sigh: don't let it put you off though...everything else gets better to make up for it...I've got my first day of 2nd year lectures tomorrow & first lecture is 'electromagnetism & optics'...most people I know (myself included) are really dreading it, actually looking through the course notes in advance in the vain hope that this might be the year I begin to understand it...but it's not looking hopeful so far :no: a few people enjoy it...some people even love it, but that particular area seems to be a nightmare...or an endurance test for many
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fuzzybear
Can you elaborate on that? I think I fall into the second category of the people you mentioned :frown:
Most people's knowledge of quantum effects and particle physics goes little beyond Brain Cox levels or perhaps a book designed for the general public, that is quite different from the reality of studying the course. When you are studying it there is lots of proofs and substitutions many of which can take 1 or 2 hours of lecturing to arrive at the next equation. Its not simply talking about loads of cool effects, you can read about those, or if you are good enough see them though the maths, but for most people (IMO) the maths itself is difficult enough that most of that will have to be outside course hours. The Schrodinger equation sounds interesting when brought up, but after deriving and then solving over and over become less so. Thats my opinion from experiences anyway.
The entire syllabus for the second Edexcel exam (6PH02). Did not understand any of electricity, waves or any of that resistance crap. Still doing Physics A2 though :smile:
Original post by skipp
It gets worse :sigh: don't let it put you off though...everything else gets better to make up for it...I've got my first day of 2nd year lectures tomorrow & first lecture is 'electromagnetism & optics'...most people I know (myself included) are really dreading it, actually looking through the course notes in advance in the vain hope that this might be the year I begin to understand it...but it's not looking hopeful so far :no: a few people enjoy it...some people even love it, but that particular area seems to be a nightmare...or an endurance test for many

What sort of stuff do you have in mind?
Glad to see solidarity - fellow electricity haters :P
I have separate teachers this year for Mechanics and Relativity, and Electrical Phenomena (in the Scottish AH) and I actually think my teacher for electricity is a better teacher, but I'm starting to dislike him just by his sheer association with electricity :L
Reply 34
Original post by fuzzybear
What sort of stuff do you have in mind?

Last year we studied mathematics, mechanics, thermodynamics, astrophysics, relativity amongst other things, a good range of physics topics, and of course the topics you like get more interesting the longer you study them, so it's not the end of the world if there's one you don't like :yep:
Just starting my last year of degree:

Hate: Electricity (op amps can **** off), Thermodynamics, Optics (very tedious).

Love: Quantum Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Nuclear/Atomic Physics - I have a genuine interest in all of these topics - get very interesting in 2nd year (and hopefully 3rd year!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Why do most people hate electricity, its easy...
circuits.....my oh my, they were so dull :sigh:
Original post by boromir9111
circuits.....my oh my, they were so dull :sigh:

:O no they are awesomee
Original post by Emissionspectra
:O no they are awesomee

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.