The Student Room Group

Give me as many disadvantages to studying medicine as you can think of...

Scroll to see replies

It's hard.
It's long.
It's expensive.
Your incompetence or mistakes could result in someones death.

There are lots of good reasons to study it aswell, but here are the most obvious disadvantages.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Doesn't it hurt having your head stuck so far up your a***? Good luck with being a doctor. You, my friend, are a clear representation of what doctors are like nowadays: horrible, nasty, and in it for the money.

It feels fine thanks. :fyi:

Quite cosy having my nose touch my prostate. :h:

I don't know what compels you to be so rude to people on an internet forum. You silly little girl......... How do you know what I am like or what my aims for medicine are? How do you know that I want to even go into medicine? :rolleyes:

I wish you all the best in becoming a doctor and I am sure you will at least manage to fill out your UCAS form.

Other than that...... :dontknow:

Have a nice evening. :hat2:
Reply 22
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
It feels fine thanks. :fyi:

Quite cosy having my nose touch my prostate. :h:

I don't know what compels you to be so rude to people on an internet forum. You silly little girl......... How do you know what I am like or what my aims for medicine are? How do you know that I want to even go into medicine? :rolleyes:

I wish you all the best in becoming a doctor and I am sure you will at least manage to fill out your UCAS form.

Other than that...... :dontknow:

Have a nice evening. :hat2:

I never even mentioned wanting to go into Medicine :smile:

I actually want to study Biomedical Sciences. Not Medicine.

Read before you write.

And do me a favour and don't call me a silly little girl then proceed to calling me rude.

Adieu.
Reply 23
I never even mentioned wanting to go into Medicine :smile:

I actually want to study Biomedical Sciences. Not Medicine.

Read before you write.

And do me a favour and don't call me a silly little girl then proceed to calling me rude.

Adieu.

Then why are you making threads which will only serve to irritate a large proportion of the forum population?
Reply 24
Original post by Helenia
Then why are you making threads which will only serve to irritate a large proportion of the forum population?

Exactly. Don't waste yer time Helen.
Reply 25
Original post by Helenia

Didn't know I had to post things that would please every user of this forum :frown:
Reply 26
what doctors are like nowadays: horrible, nasty, and in it for the money.

All of them? You lose any sympathy you may have had when you post idiotic comments like this.
Reply 27
Original post by Egypt
All of them? You lose any sympathy you may have had when you post idiotic comments like this.

Thank you for the input. Appreciate it.
Original post by Ledzeppelin
Doctors would be nothing without Chemists, Biologists, Biochemists, (and in a way Physicists/engineers ) - so pretty much scientists doing the research enable to allow doctors to do their work. Mind you i'm not saying doctors are bad, but what all of the people listed above do are the people who are going to end up curing diseases like AIDS and cancer. Doctors are only diagnosticians or glorified mechanics in my opinion :/

Someone's butthurt.
Have to break people horrible news, and tell people that they will eventually die and theres nothing you can do. Death is also all around you.
Reply 30
Don't ask why..

Just could you possibly give me as many downsides as possible to being a med student/ doctor.

Much appreciated.

i bet youre just trying to put other people off so you can get in easily...:colone:
Reply 31
... the op is just asking a question, if you dont like it why did you click the post knowing very well what it was about?

Il give you a disadvantage of going into medicine, a lot of your colleagues will be dicks, its just the nature of the proffesion... it attracts them. A lot seem to forget a patient values empathy and kindess just as much as clinical competence. A lot of them become very cold and mechanical.
Reply 32
House > Gray's Anatomy
Reply 33
Original post by Polioz
... the op is just asking a question, if you dont like it why did you click the post knowing very well what it was about?

Il give you a disadvantage of going into medicine, a lot of your colleagues will be dicks, its just the nature of the proffesion... it attracts them. A lot seem to forget a patient values empathy and kindess just as much as clinical competence. A lot of them become very cold and mechanical.

I don't mind answering sensible questions. I mind answering questions when there's no clear logic behind them, no input from the OP into what they think the answer might be or what opinions they're interested in, and where they proceed to insult people who answer. Especially if they then say they're actually not a medical applicant and so really have very little business posting questions in the forum at all.
Reply 34
walking around hospitals make your feet hurt and alcohol gel is stingy. also medical schools tend to have lots of stairs that are tiring to climb. lecture theatre lights are sometimes too bright.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Ledzeppelin
Doctors would be nothing without Chemists, Biologists, Biochemists, (and in a way Physicists/engineers ) - so pretty much scientists doing the research enable to allow doctors to do their work. Mind you i'm not saying doctors are bad, but what all of the people listed above do are the people who are going to end up curing diseases like AIDS and cancer. Doctors are only diagnosticians or glorified mechanics in my opinion :/

yeah but chemists, biologists, engineers and biochemists are boring and nobody cares zzzzzz
One which hasn't been mentioned is it can be less academically stimulating than other courses as a Loy of the stuff has to be memorized so you can use it in an emergency.

Disclaimer: May not be true to all courses/ applicants
Reply 37
Original post by Organ
walking around hospitals make your feet hurt and alcohol gel is stingy. also medical schools tend to have lots of stairs that are tiring to climb. lecture theatre lights are sometimes too bright.

Walking up stairs!? THE HORROR!
Original post by Organ
yeah but chemists, biologists, engineers and biochemists are boring and nobody cares zzzzzz

You've watched too much of either grey's anatomy, house, scrubs or some other american drama/romance program relating to medicine.
Because in reality medicine all comes down to a massive amounts of paperwork, law-suits and clinic duty :/

Where as with chemistry and all other sciences we get to experiment! investigate be fulfilled with opulent knowledge! :biggrin:
Trust me its waaaay more exiting :wink:
Drunks-they are pretty annoying.

Quick Reply

Latest