The Student Room Group

is my school trying to scam me?

right well basically i got my AQA AS law unit 1 paper remarked and it went up a grade, and from what I know your entitled to a refund if your grade goes up, I asked my exam officer and she says you only get a refund if your overall AS grade goes up, that doesn't make any sense because I only enquired about a unit not the whole AS, not only that, in the january exams where we didnt even have an overall 'AS grade' a few of my mates got a remark which proved sucessful and were refunded... it even says here http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/EAR-02.PDF that I am entitled to a refund for a grade which goes up a module...

my school just robbed me £42... :mad: what do i do?
Reply 1
Your exam officer must be mistaken, just show her the aqa pdf document that says your are entitled to a refund (I haven't check it, I'm just assuming your understanding is correct), probably a simple mistake and it can be rectified pretty quickly
Print off the page and take it to the examinations officer? Point to the other examples.

Generally speaking, you do only get a refund if your overall AS or A-level grade changes.
Reply 3
Original post by icecoolwas
right well basically i got my AQA AS law unit 1 paper remarked and it went up a grade, and from what I know your entitled to a refund if your grade goes up, I asked my exam officer and she says you only get a refund if your overall AS grade goes up, that doesn't make any sense because I only enquired about a unit not the whole AS, not only that, in the january exams where we didnt even have an overall 'AS grade' a few of my mates got a remark which proved sucessful and were refunded... it even says here http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/EAR-02.PDF that I am entitled to a refund for a grade which goes up a module...

Yeah they are , complain because it clearly says if the module grade goes up then you get a refund
Reply 4
"AQA does not charge for:
l any mark review or clerical check
which leads to a change of
specification grade/module grade.
You will be charged if there is no
grade change"

I think your exam officer probably scanned this passage and read the 'you will be charged if there is no grade change'. Explain there are two types of grade change defined by the board- specification and module grades (one is overall one is per module assesed). You have a 'changed' module grade and therefor are entitled to a refund. The charge for NO grade change is in reference to having no grade change in BOTH specification and module change.
Reply 5
Thanks guys, printed out the doc (even on my remark sheet it says refer to EAR/02, the same document) going to sort this out tommorow.
Reply 6
Thanks guys, printed out the doc (even on my remark sheet it says refer to EAR/02, the same document) going to sort this out tommorow.

If you have cashed in the AS or full A level qualification the overall grade of the AS has to go up to receive a refund. If your original results show an overall grade you have cashed in.

If you have not cashed in then only the unit grade has to go up for a refund.
Reply 7

I think your overall grade has to go up, not just the module grade.
Reply 8

Sorry, the link you found does not give the full rules. The school is right but the rules are quite complicated. Exam boards give refunds in 2 circumstances:

1. If you have not been awarded an overall AS or A2 grade and the unit grade changes, you get your money back (this tends to apply in January).

2. If you have been awarded an overall AS or A2 grade and that overall grade changes then you get your money back. Just changing the unit grade does not trigger the refund.

Harsh, but that's just the way it is.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest