The Student Room Group

Sitting 2nd November Test Independently

Hey guys,

I'm applying to Oxford to study Philosophy and Celtic which requires to sit a Modern Languages and Linguistics Aptitude Test on 2nd November. However, as I'm out of school (finished last year & not in the UK), I was wondering has anyone needed to find a place to sit it independently?

Any ideas how I should go about finding a place? The website mentions library/school/office but I'm not sure who to approach who'd be willing to help.

I live in Reading.

Any ideas would be appreciated? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by logiadoevus
Hey guys,

I'm applying to Oxford to study Philosophy and Celtic which requires to sit a Modern Languages and Linguistics Aptitude Test on 2nd November. However, as I'm out of school (finished last year & not in the UK), I was wondering has anyone needed to find a place to sit it independently?

Any ideas how I should go about finding a place? The website mentions library/school/office but I'm not sure who to approach who'd be willing to help.

I live in Reading.

Any ideas would be appreciated? :smile:

Hi

I applied for History independently last year and sat the aptitude test at the university's Exam Schools (in Oxford's High Street). Maybe the same option exists for Languages; I contacted my preferred college initially and they advised me how to go about it.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by shoshin
Hi

I applied for History independently last year and sat the aptitude test at the university's Exam Schools (in Oxford's High Street). Maybe the same option exists for Languages; I contacted my preferred college initially and they advised me how to go about it.

Do they charge a fee for this and if so, how much is it? I was considering taking the exam at an independent testing center London but my biggest concern is how much it'll cost.
See here:

"Other candidates

If you are applying as an individual or
you are applying from a school or college which is not registered with UCAS
or
you are unable to take the test at your school or college for any reason

then you will need to find a suitable venue where you can take your test on 2 November 2011. This can be any venue with suitable facilities for taking a test, where you can find someone in an appropriate position of authority to act as the contact person. This person will need to agree to receive the test papers for you, arrange for invigilation of the test under examination conditions and return the completed papers to Oxford. For example, a local school, college, British Council office, other office or library may be suitable venues.

Oxford University does not charge a fee for taking any of these tests in Classics, Computer Science, Mathematics or Modern Languages. However, some centres may charge candidates an administration fee for using their facilities, and this fee is payable by the candidate, not the University.

When you have found a suitable place to take the test, and a contact person at that venue, you will need to complete the online Test Centre Declaration Form to let us know where you will be taking the test. We will then send the papers to your test centre by email. "

:sheep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by neuroplasticity
Do they charge a fee for this and if so, how much is it? I was considering taking the exam at an independent testing center London but my biggest concern is how much it'll cost.

No, there was no fee but I should stress that I took the History Aptitude Test and can't confirm that tests for other subjects also had the option of being sat at Exam Schools. I would advise initially contacting your preferred college asap to ask this question because I remember that there were a few administrative ups and downs along the way before I was sure that I was registered for it there.
Reply 5
I was in the same situation as you but I wanted to sit the TSA. I emailed a few of the colleges they recommended on the TSA website and all of them required an administration fee (the lowest of which was £25).

Here's the link for a list of open centres for TSA: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/findcentre

It might be a good idea to try and contact some of the centres there or just find secondary schools in your local area and email them.
Reply 6
Original post by shoshin
Hi

Cheers, I contacted the college, and the rep said she understands there's gonna be an open test centre in Oxford and I should e-mail general undergrad admissions with my details - I've done that and hopefully all will be good :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by logiadoevus
Cheers, I contacted the college, and the rep said she understands there's gonna be an open test centre in Oxford and I should e-mail general undergrad admissions with my details - I've done that and hopefully all will be good :smile:

Hi, yes it sounds like the same process. It does get a bit hairy though because I was worried that the closer it got to the test date without hearing from them, the less time there was to organise something else. You end up holding your breath because there's no 'plan B' if they were to let you down. So I did nervously chase admissions once or twice, cc'ing my college contact. IIRC they eventually sent me a link to a web page, on which a booking form later appeared.

Good luck with it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending