The Student Room Group

How do you store opened meat properly

I opened some minse yesterday and used about half of it for spaghetti bolognese but have I put it back in the fridge. How long can I put it there? It's a bit open but I thought the main thing is that it's in the fridge. When would I put minse in the freezer?
mince*

It should be used within a couple of days after opening, make sure it hasn't gone brown and yucky before using it. Also, make sure you wrap it up good to keep it fresher, with something like clingfilm.

Mince can be frozen on day of purchase so you can just use it as and when needed. Although once defrosted DO NOT refreeze!
Reply 2
I use Tupperware to put my meats in to keep them fresh for longer, and take up less space.
I portion up my mince in freezer bags, then take out and defrost in fridge when needed.
In the fridge it'll last a couple of days before it goes all grey and nasty smelling.

I buy the large packs of value mince in Morrisons/Tesco for like £2 or whatever but only use half (I cook for 2 ppl). I freeze the rest as soon as I halve it for that night's meal and defrost it the night before I want to use it in the fridge.

Chicken & Minced meat goes grey and smells funny when it is off. Red Meats go darker and smell and fish gets watery and begins to smell. Get used to smelling your food. :wink:

If it smells throw away, especially if it is chicken, pork or fish. If it looks on the turn you can eat it if you cook it through v thoroughly but it is your risk and it may not taste as nice.

I once made the mistake of eating chicken on the turn and it tasted disgusting with my pasta sauce...I didn't get ill but it tasted foul.
Reply 5
:smile:
Original post by I<3LAMP
In the fridge it'll last a couple of days before it goes all grey and nasty smelling.

I buy the large packs of value mince in Morrisons/Tesco for like £2 or whatever but only use half (I cook for 2 ppl). I freeze the rest as soon as I halve it for that night's meal and defrost it the night before I want to use it in the fridge.

Chicken & Minced meat goes grey and smells funny when it is off. Red Meats go darker and smell and fish gets watery and begins to smell. Get used to smelling your food. :wink:

If it smells throw away, especially if it is chicken, pork or fish. If it looks on the turn you can eat it if you cook it through v thoroughly but it is your risk and it may not taste as nice.

I once made the mistake of eating chicken on the turn and it tasted disgusting with my pasta sauce...I didn't get ill but it tasted foul.

Sure you didn't mean fowl? :smile:
Reply 6
I'd rather you put it in the freezer if you want to store it for long.
Original post by KKK
:smile:

Sure you didn't mean fowl? :smile:

If you'll pardon the pun. :ahee:
Reply 8
my mommy said that if you make a bolognese or lasagne from fresh meat (i.e. which has only just been bought), you can freeze the rest. However, if you defrost meat and then cook it DO NOT REFREEZE CUS YOU WILL DIE. Nah, but you'll probably become quit ill... It'd probably keep for about 2 days in the fridge if well covered.
Reply 9
I'm a student and I made spaghetti bolognese but I obviously didn't want to use all of the mince so I used about half. The packet is open and it says once open to use but can't I store it in the fridge. Or should it be in the freezer? Or is it better to cook more then put the rest in a tupperware? Can I put pasta and mince in the tupperware? Or can it just be mince? Also, does the tupperware go in the fridge or freezer. I'm confused as to whether to put it in the fridge or the freezer.. :/ Also, how do I defrost? I don't need to defrost from the fridge do I? Is it just the freezer?
Put it in the fridge and cook the rest tomorrow. It wont kill you if you cook it properly. Or, next time, shop with others in halls so that nothing goes out of date.
Did you make TWO threads for this crisis??? Stop spamming!
(edited 12 years ago)
Ye just stick it in the fridge and then make burgers with it tomorrow. Mix in some caramelized onions too. It will taste awesome.
Make some chilli con carne.
Reply 13
Are you planning on using (cooking) the rest of the mince in the next 2-3 days? If not then you're better to freeze it as it will go off in the fridge once it has been opened, (even if it is not past the use by date.)

If you freeze it put the raw mince in the tupperware box, write the date on the lid and put it in the freezer. When want to cook it, just defrost and away you go. (However don't Then refreeze after it has de-frosted. You can only freeze meat once)

If not you can cook it and then freeze in the same way. But only the mince, not the pasta. Simularly you can cook it and keep it in a tupperware box in the fridge, but again only for 2-3 days tops :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by bluemax
I'd rather you put it in the freezer if you want to store it for long.

But does it have to be wrapped?
cling film or tupperware.
Reply 16
Original post by jrules0193
But does it have to be wrapped?

yup, cling film it or something.

Quick Reply

Latest