University is for studying, not drinking

deleted
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What the actual ****.
(edited 12 years ago)
Fortunately for us, the two aren't mutually exclusive
need a hand getting off your high horse pal?
I am a social drinker and have no problem with alcohol. I am also good enough to get a good degree. You can do both.
University is an invention, people can do whatever they want with it, it's not set in the stone of nature or anything.

I'm pretty sure it's not just the teetotallers who get Firsts.
Reply 6
I used to go for drinks with my lecturers every so often.... please explain this OP. Lecturers drinking?!?!?!?!
Reply 7
lol...
Reply 8
Original post by The Real Quaid
Fortunately for us, the two aren't mutually exclusive

For many they interfere. It would be absurd to deny that heavy alcohol consumption doesn't interfere with work.

Original post by Guru Jason
I am a social drinker and have no problem with alcohol. I am also good enough to get a good degree. You can do both.

Nope. Alcohol interferes with mental faculties and thus work

Original post by chinaberry
University is an invention, people can do whatever they want with it, it's not set in the stone of nature or anything.

I'm pretty sure it's not just the teetotallers who get Firsts.

More teetotallers get better degrees
Original post by Ineluctable

One of the things that particularly annoys me about university students is the vice of drinking. Having alcoholic inclinations also leads to other vices (such as premarital sex).

Universities are educational and research centres, where you are meant to work. After all, if you want to drink, why go to university at all? I don't think anybody has a license to complain when they end up with an average degree and have few job prospects due to the lifestyle that they have chosen to lead.

Why do you care? Do you even go to university? :mmm:
Reply 10

More teetotallers get better degrees

Evidence is better than outlandish statements.
For many they interfere. It would be absurd to deny that heavy alcohol consumption doesn't interfere with work.

That's true, but I'd argue that posting on TSR does as much damage
One of the things that particularly annoys me about university students is the vice of drinking. Having alcoholic inclinations also leads to other vices (such as premarital sex).

Universities are educational and research centres, where you are meant to work. After all, if you want to drink, why go to university at all? I don't think anybody has a license to complain when they end up with an average degree and have few job prospects due to the lifestyle that they have chosen to lead.

I'll agree that universities are institutions for studying and I don't necessarily agree with the whole 'clubbing-and-getting-wasted' scenario (see my thread about Freshers Week) but I don't think alcohol altogether should be condemned. I am quite happy to have two or three drinks with in a pub or with a meal or at a party or something :smile: I just don't believe the 'sole' reason for university is to go and get drunk; there are pubs and bars for that :tongue:

I don't think alcoholic inclinations leads to 'premarital sex'; this is the 21st century, where the vast majority have sex before they are married. :s-smilie:
Reply 13
on this topic there is an interesting article in The Times today by Libby Purves who analyses the Freshers' Week phenomenon

:bear:
What does the bible say about posting attention seeking nonsense threads on the internet OP?
I have lots of pre-marital sex, but not once have I been drunk :holmes:
Reply 16
i used to go out drinking every day in freshers. once a week in second year and occasionlly would turn up hungover when on my placement year much to the amusement of my colleagues.

third year was once a week night out... graduated with a 2:1 and have walked into a 40k+ job

JELLY MUCH??!?!?!?!?!?!
Reply 17
Most of the people at uni are adults, infact all!! and are entitled to do what they wish!
Lets get real! Our parents drink and still manage to earn a living for themselves and their family! Thats why uni is different from school, because it prepares us for REAL life.do you think scientists or mathematicians, physicists dont drink!!!!!
Work and play are both a part of live.At university we are not training to be priests who are supposed to abstain from alcholol and all such vices that you've quoted.we are studying to get a degree that will make us work in real world!!
Its obviously a myth/stereotype that all students do is drink.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending