The Student Room Group

The Modified Car and Wheel Fanatics Thread

Post up pictures of your modified car, including some details on how it was when you got it, and what you've done to it.

I bladdy well hope I don't get a load of Corsa and KA drivers posting but it's all in good fun!

I'm most excited to see anything oldskool, vdubs and jap, and anything custom!

And wheels, wheels are god.

Bikes are welcome too, including any push bikes you've built or had refurbed!
im in, whats your car then? :tongue:
Reply 2
mk2 facelift polo breadder :P, it was my first car and I've had it three years!

I won't post a massive build thread as thats a bit of a mission but this is what I posted in the VW thread:

My car when I bought it, completely standard and unmolested on 54k for 400 quid.

Fast forward through lowering, harmmerite gold steelies, new wheels, flared arches, services, new brakes, a fair few cosmetic mods...

And as it stands today, if you're into the car show scene you will have seen it in a few of the show and shines this year.

:biggrin: perfect first car IMO. Three years next month and it's never failed on me once, apart from the one time I ran out of petrol :P

It's lowered 80mm on springs, coilovers for these start at 500 due to the hub and strut being one peice, modifying mk2 golf springs is possible but dodgy. The wheels are oldskool but nobody knows what they are, they're 4x98 not the standard vw 4x100, they're 6j and et15, stick out perfect, with a little bit of stretch to keep it legal on the tyre tread front. Been told the wheels might be old Alfa or Seat, the closest match to them looks wise is Maserati Bi Turbo wheels. I've spent about 200 quid on stickers, so as not to be another fool out buying the 'stickerbomb' book which the stickers fade and perish on, mine are all high quality vinyl. The bonnet bra was the best available, and it works, since the respray I haven't had a single chip :biggrin:
£200 on stickers... wut?
Reply 4
Original post by SkinnyKitty
I've spent about 200 quid on stickers

More money than brains eh?
i'll occasionally be keeping an eye on this discussion :ninja:

i have a 2008 vw polo (1.2 match) in white, tho i modded it to look like the gti version (the rear spoiler, side skirts, the gti headlamps, the gti front grill and the bumper centre in black). i haven't go tthe gti 'monza' alloys though - instead i went for some 'wolfrace' ones in black :wink:
i dont really care that it doesn't go like a gti at all - paying a small amount on tax, petrol and insurance is more my thing :sexface:
Reply 6
Original post by HumorousGent.
£200 on stickers... wut?

Haven't used them all, I collect them mostly. If you're in the skate or surf scene you'd understand.
Reply 7
Yeah, tbh there isn't much point having a fast car until you're 21 or even 25 for a lot of males! Insurance just rapes the sh@t out of you!!! Plus it's better to have a lot of experience behind you before you get in something like that, you need to KNOW you can control it not just think you can :]
Original post by SkinnyKitty
Yeah, tbh there isn't much point having a fast car until you're 21 or even 25 for a lot of males! Insurance just rapes the sh@t out of you!!! Plus it's better to have a lot of experience behind you before you get in something like that, you need to KNOW you can control it not just think you can :]

What would you determine a fast car?

I'd post pics of my little tiny Clio but meh, I haven't got any pics. Just imagine a black one about 3 inches off the ground with bright blue wheels basically.
Reply 9
Things like Honda Type R's - insurance rape you, most people won't even insure men until they're over 25! Can't think of any other examples really, but a lot of people get fast cars and assume they can drive them fast with little knowledge of driving other than what they learnt on lessons [which is NOT what a racing school / rally school would teach you] - and ultimately crash.
Reply 10
Also, get some pictures :]
Reply 11
Bump.

Anyone got a jap car?

Any nice wheels?

Let's see some chav mobiles too! Bring on the corsa's, saxo's, clio's and ka's!!! :P
Reply 12
Honda S2000

K&N FIPK Induction kit

Powerhouse Amuse Full Titanium Cat back exhaust

Have not really got any better pics yet, sorry!

Aftermarket Mohair replacement hood as well.

Stock Dyno, going to try and get up to about 210whp and then buy a Westfield.

And yeh, insurance rapes me even at 24 and 5yrs NCB Protected.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
'75 MGB GT Factory V8.

Only had it since April, so not done too much yet.
As bought:

Modifications / Projects to date:

Fitted ST front spoiler and sprayed it myself in body colour.
Stainless front grille + V8 badge
New headlights - I say new... they were in a box of bits that came with another car. :wink:
Painted front MG badge red - thinking about changing it for an MGF badge, though?

Fitted a set of chrome air filter "lobster claws".

Decided to swap the original SU carbs for a 4 barrel webber carb and edelbrock performer inlet manifold. So, this lot came off...

...and this lot went on

... just looking for a new bonnet now so I can fit my blower hat rather than cut holes in the original bonnet.

Done a few other bits in the engine bay like chrome altenator pulley and chrome radiator mounts but not worth showing pics of that.

Inside, i've not done a great deal... just re-stuffed the seats with new foams.
I did fit a custom rear load cover though - you won't see them for sale. They only made about 100 of 'em! I was bored one day so I smoked the rear lights. Don't really like that look, so I'll be changing them back to original spec soon. Also fitted a flip up petrol filler cap as fitted to 60's Aston Martins.

Currently looking at wheel options. I like slotmags. I've just sourced a set of 14" cosmics which I plan to use on the front when I've polished them and a pair of slotmags on the rear to give it that 70's custom look.

Also mocked it up with the bug catcher scoop for when I do eventually find a decent bonnet to cut holes in:

Long term plan is to fit a supercharger on top of the engine, which will mean the top of the scoop will be about level with the top of the roof and convert to automatic. Might even try a bit of nitrous oxide on there too.
A friend of mine has already fitted a supercharger to his BV8 and I think it looks mental. The aim is to create my own slightly more tame street-driveable version.

Quick Reply

Latest