The Student Room Group

Are you afraid of Sharks?

Question time :biggrin:

1) Are you afraid of sharks? If yes please elaborate! :smile:

2) Would you ever consume shark? Whether it be through Shark fin Soup or other dishes?

3) Are you aware of the drastic decline in sharks in the last 40 years? If no, check out spoiler!

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1. No, I'm unlikely to ever encounter one.
2. Yes if the opportunity ever arose and there was nothing more appealing on the menu.
3. Yes thanks to Jamie Oliver.
Reply 2
Not scared of them but i've only ever seen them in aquariums. I'm pretty sure if I was in the ocean with a shark circling me it would be a different story.
I'd try it once if I had to but I don't think i'd choose it.
Yes.

More freaked out by jellyfish tbh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
No. I'm not afraid of any rational acting animal, be it predator or otherwise.

You know what a shark will do, how it will act and how to avoid it. The only way to be at risk of shark attack is to create a set of circumstances (in the water, in zones sharks are known or theorised to visit etc).

I'm also not afraid of, and regularly handle, tarantulas, scorpions, constrictors and certain non-lethal venomous snakes. As long as I am smart, well prepared, sober and don't behave like a tit, there is almost zero risk.

All we have to fear is fear itself.

And cobras.
Reply 4
Original post by diving_queen

2) Would you ever consume shark? Whether it be through Shark fin Soup or other dishes?

3) Are you aware of the drastic decline in sharks in the last 40 years? If no, check out spoiler!

1) No, unless I am overtly swimming in the ocean with an open wound.

2) Am Asian, and whilst I am not in support of it, yes. My parents force-fed me it when I was younger to 'help stimulate the growth of my brain'

3) Yes.
Reply 5
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
1. No, I'm unlikely to ever encounter one.
2. Yes if the opportunity ever arose and there was nothing more appealing on the menu.
3. Yes thanks to Jamie Oliver.

Is it because of curiosity? Or something else?
Swim with one, make a small cut on your leg and see if you are afraid of sharks!
Reply 7
Original post by WILL :)
1) No, unless I am overtly swimming in the ocean with an open wound.

2) Am Asian, and whilst I am not in support of it, yes. My parents force-fed me it when I was younger to 'help stimulate the growth of my brain'

3) Yes.

Bold bit- SUPER INTERESTING!! Thank you :biggrin: So is that a common believe amongst asian families then? And what nationality are you?

Original post by Chav Princess
Swim with one, make a small cut on your leg and see if you are afraid of sharks!

But thats there nature. Blood means food.

I believe when we step into the sea we take a risk. One that we have to accept.
The sea is their territory and their home!

Don't mean to sound 'up myself' but I have swam with them :biggrin: Cageless, in the red sea! Not once did I think 'OMG I am going to die' It was such a beautiful animal...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Is it because of curiosity? Or something else?

Partially curiosity. But mostly because if the choice is between shark and something that I know I dislike, I'll choose shark and take a gamble on whether it is nicer.

For example, if there was the choice between venison steak and shark, I'd choose venison because I know I like it.

But if the choice was between cauliflower cheese and shark, I'd try shark because I hate cauliflower cheese.
Reply 9
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Partially curiosity. But mostly because if the choice is between shark and something that I know I dislike, I'll choose shark and take a gamble on whether it is nicer.

For example, if there was the choice between venison steak and shark, I'd choose venison because I know I like it.

But if the choice was between cauliflower cheese and shark, I'd try shark because I hate cauliflower cheese.

Interesting. Thanks for replying :smile:
Perhaps I'd be afraid if there was one swimming up to me, however I can't envisage a realistic situation in which a shark would be of threat to me, so no.

I'd definitely try shark fin soup - whether or not I ate it again would depend on if I enjoyed the taste.

Yes.
Reply 11

Spoiler

That video, just urgh XD If it said how many encounters people had with with toasters and sharks, then we'd have a proper answer. I'd wager that the chance of dying when near a toaster is far lower than the chance of dying when near a shark. Just myself, I'd have to survive hundreds of shark encounters to just draw level with the toaster, though I'd permit scrapes from their skin to balance out my burning my fingers :smile:

1) I haven't been close to one, but I imagine I would be. To elaborate (as if that's necessary! :tongue:), it could kill me! It's not a fear I've seen in day to day life, so I've never had a chance to overcome it - not that I think I'd want to overcome it, mind.

2) I wouldn't choose it off a menu, partly due to knowing they're endangered but a lot to do with me preferring cow/pig/chicken to fish so wouldn't even look :wink:

3) I knew they were in trouble but not that their end could be so close :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
But thats there nature. Blood means food.

I believe when we step into the sea we take a risk. One that we have to accept.
The sea is their territory and their home!

Don't mean to sound 'up myself' but I have swam with them :biggrin: Cageless, in the red sea! Not once did I think 'OMG I am going to die' It was such a beautiful animal...

And nature can be scary.

Reply 13
Bold bit- SUPER INTERESTING!! Thank you :biggrin: So is that a common believe amongst asian families then? And what nationality are you?

Well, technically I'm from New Zealand, but otherwise Singaporean Chinese :P

Yeah. I've eaten it once or twice - without even knowing it was shark the first time. It's a very common belief with Asian people, especially the older chinese generation.

I don't mean to link this up with the economy (typical me), but especially with the opening up of China and its rapid economic expansion, many of the new rich people will be trying to buy up shark fins (because they probably weren't given this 'luxury' previously and now they want to make up for it, as well as giving their offspring the 'best start in life' or something along those lines), because of this belief, thus causing its popularity to soar, therefore causing more demand for it and therefore I would expect an even MORE rapid decline in the shark population than expected.

Seriously, if you go on the streets of Macau, there are specific tourist shops aimed specifically at tourists from Mainland China selling HOARDS of shark fins, most of them on display in glass cabinets- That's how popular they are.
Reply 14
PM me if you want any more questions answered - I've got a tonne of assignments/tests to cram for at the moment, but I'll be happy to answer any questions about Asian beliefs about Sharks/other marine life as 'delicacies' from my own experiences!
No, not scared of them, I love sharks, they're awesome creatures.
No I would never eat a shark. Ever.
Yes I know about the decline of them, it's awful.
Reply 16
1. No. But I am scared of drowning so you wouldn't catch me anywhere near sharks.
2. Yes. I've been meaning to try a shark burger for a long time now*.
3. Yes.

Edit: *To note, I'd try nearly anything once. But I have no interest in Shark-fin soup. I don't support killing an animal for one part, but if most of it's being used then I'm fine with it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
no, I live in Birmingham.
Original post by WILL :)
PM me if you want any more questions answered - I've got a tonne of assignments/tests to cram for at the moment, but I'll be happy to answer any questions about Asian beliefs about Sharks/other marine life as 'delicacies' from my own experiences!

Thanks for the info! :biggrin: Haha I will let you study :smile:

I knew there was belief that Manta gills aided blood circulation but never the intelligence thing. Its ironic though, due to the amount of mercury in the sea now all large fish and cetaceans are riddled with it. And its causes impotence!
1) No and I'd love to dive with them.
2) Nope, far too much mercury. Also, as you have said, their numbers are declining.
3) Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest